• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Music of today good or bad?

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
It all depends on your point of view, perception and judgement really.

Music of today, does nothing wrong more than music of 10 years ago. Or even 200 years ago. When classical composers like Handel went out of style in his time it was because he wasn't "Stylish anymore"(hence people thought he wasn't anygood at the time anymore) which is just the equivalent of "Pop" but he eventually found his way out of that hole. It's mostly about just finding what is the niche pop of the current time.

So whether you think X Band sucks you don't have any real factual basis of why they would suck , more of based on your perception of "OMG THIS IS LAME" does it suck to you.

Mostly because Music is ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE to one's personal Preferences. There is no right or wrong in what to do in music.

Chathurga

Music is not entirely subjective. If I recorded the sound of me shitting in a bucket for 4 minutes and overlayed it with a 4/4 beat, that music would be objectively useless. It's uninspired, lazy tripe like most pop music. Music should be about more than a quick buck for the same recycled shit.

You could discuss the poetic power of the "Bucket Shit Song" but then you'd be a pretentious hipster and would probably too busy ironically supporting Charles Manson to care.

Trigun

It's only objectively useless, if you see it as such. Now whether the playing on the track is lazy or off time is a different. Most professionally recorded music is nearly 100% accurately played so you can't make that argument.

It's not very much valid. Music is music. It doesn't mean you have to like it or enjoy it. B/c if you don't, it means someone else does.

And see, you just expressed your personal Opinion. Which is Subjective. Not Objective, it's not a fact.

And if you believe so much to yourself that it's lazy and uninspired ,why don't you get off your ass from complaining about it, go out there yourself and make music that you "Personally" feel is better.

Justify.
Write , perform and Engineer music you think is better.

You also have to understand there is another point to music such as pop. It's meant more as a form of entertainment rather than as music in itself. So in turn most cases, the music is very minimalistic. Thus part of the reason of your dislike to said music.
With that said there is a certain state of mind in which this kind of music can be enjoyed.
Myself for example Can enjoy this kind of music on a variety of occasions when normally I listen to music more in the realms of Film, game or instrumentalism.

There is no definitive answer to the question of whether it's good or bad. IMHO.

Feel free to believe otherwise.

Chathurga

It's only objectively useless, if you see it as such. Now whether the playing on the track is lazy or off time is a different. Most professionally recorded music is nearly 100% accurately played so you can't make that argument.

Lazy and uninspired doesn't describe technical proficiency, in fact I don't think technical ability has that much to do with the quality of music. Just look at The Beatles, not masters of their instruments by any means but still arguably one of the best bend ever.

It's not very much valid. Music is music. It doesn't mean you have to like it or enjoy it. B/c if you don't, it means someone else does.
I have no doubt that other people enjoy the music it's just the implications of that enjoyment that I dislike. Dumbing down entertainment to spoon feed the masses the lowest common denominator.

And see, you just expressed your personal Opinion. Which is Subjective. Not Objective, it's not a fact.
If the music was created solely to make money it really diminishes its claim to art. It's like elevator music, no one in their right mind would call it good because it's just a simple tune to break silence. Pop music is just something they belt out at clubs for people to dance to, I really don't think it has any way to stand on its own.

And if you believe so much to yourself that it's lazy and uninspired ,why don't you get off your ass from complaining about it, go out there yourself and make music that you "Personally" feel is better.
Right in order to say something's bad I must be able to create something better? What a stupid argument. There's plenty of music I feel is better why would I need to create some myself?
I know when food tastes bad but I'm not a good cook so I wouldn't be able to do better, doesn't mean the food isn't crap.

Trigun

I'm not going to bother to respond to anything you just said. Because no matter what you say to people like "you" there is no getting through to them a point. And thus even further any opening up of their skewed perspective of things.

So, you go ahead and continue to cry foul. I hope you enjoy it. I"m off to not be negative and enjoy both listening, recording and writing music everyday.

Okay, Thanks bye. :)

Chathurga

By the same reasoning there's no discussing with people like you because you're so stuck in your opinion you won't even respond to me. Saying someone is close minded works both ways you know.

Scorned

Lazy and uninspired doesn't describe technical proficiency, in fact I don't think technical ability has that much to do with the quality of music. Just look at The Beatles, not masters of their instruments by any means but still arguably one of the best bend ever.

This is also an opinionated viewpoint, or else depending on the definition of "best". If by general popularity, the Beatles may arguably be considered the best, but at the end of the day, it is often times the peoples opinion on what they consider quality, etc.

I have no doubt that other people enjoy the music it's just the implications of that enjoyment that I dislike. Dumbing down entertainment to spoon feed the masses the lowest common denominator.

This just becomes a business decision. Most people wouldn't hesitate to manipulate the "masses" based on their own ability and desire to comprehend things in order to make millions.

If the music was created solely to make money it really diminishes its claim to art. It's like elevator music, no one in their right mind would call it good because it's just a simple tune to break silence. Pop music is just something they belt out at clubs for people to dance to, I really don't think it has any way to stand on its own.

I actually enjoy Elevator music if it's not repeated, and involves saxophone, but it may differ from what you hear.

Here also comes another subjective definition: Art. Art is hard to be nailed down. Wikipedia may define it as: "the process or product of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions."
This would coincide with exactly what pop is doing in most circumstances. They appeal to the sensual pleasure of the masses, and earn money from it. Is this not "art"?

And people are all about feelings and emotion. If they can get a quick rush of emotion from some simple, easy to access pop song, why trouble their repetitive lives to implore deeper into the realms of the art of music?

The way you also view music is opinionated, nothing bad, it just is different than how others see it. Some may see music as just something to do what you said, dance to. Just because it is used for dance, does it necessarily diminish its value because someone sees it as an inspiration for dancing rather than another reason?

Right in order to say something's bad I must be able to create something better? What a stupid argument. There's plenty of music I feel is better why would I need to create some myself?
I know when food tastes bad but I'm not a good cook so I wouldn't be able to do better, doesn't mean the food isn't crap.

Agreed, although it once again deals with opinion.

LocutusEstBorg

... Your point?

Ask your dad and he'd give you an endless list of famous bands that wrote good music. Its very rare now, but of course good stuff still exists. Still I have never come across anything these days like the likes of Pink Floyd, or Dream Theater where almost EVERY SINGLE song is excellent in some way.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Mainstream music? it sucked. Soulja Boy, Brittany Spears, Rap as a Genre was more mainstream(Im not a big fan of rap/Hip-Hop, at least not most of the mainstream stuff I hear on the radio. It is all 'Smack a bitch' talking about Ho's, getting shot, and the N word 1000 times. The stuff with more meaning about life that is intelligently wrote is good), kinda like metal in the 80's.

But the less mainstream(in terms of random guy on the street, not in the respective circles) like Basshunter, Nine Inch Nails, Mudvayne, Korn, or Mindless Self Indulgence put out some amazing stuff in the 00's

LocutusEstBorg

No, I meant why you posted that, since this is a thread asking about music of today.

"Music of Today" generally refers to what most people are aware of, and it sucks. I don't think children listened to music back then :/ so there was no market for crap. The surprising part is people I've known form childhood continue to listen to the same shit.

I remember even back in 6th or 7th grade the radio was actually good. We don't even have a stereo/radio now since there is absolutely nothing to go out and buy in a store to listen to.

xploren

Contributor
"Music of Today" generally refers to what most people are aware of, and it sucks. I don't think children listened to music back then :/ so there was no market for crap. The surprising part is people I've known form childhood continue to listen to the same shit.

I remember even back in 6th or 7th grade the radio was actually good. We don't even have a stereo/radio now since there is absolutely nothing to go out and buy in a store to listen to.

Good job avoiding my question completely?

WonderlustKing

Vanilla Sex
Just wanted to know people's opinion and if i'm the only one who thinks that 2000's music sucks. IMO music died in the 90's.
Music didn't die in the nineties. Punk rock died in the nineties, hair metal died in the nineties, grunge died in the nineties... but it's not like any of those genres were good anyways. So nothing of value was lost.

There are plenty of great bands of the 2000's. Arcade Fire, Gogol Bordello, The Strokes, Tv on The Radio, Lady Gaga.. etc
:p

Zx30

Beto
There really isn't a music of "today" really...well..in my opinion. I tend to think of it like this.
New music comes out every day. The music of today is always better than yesterdays because you have todays music as well as yesterdays to listen to. So in other words, every day we have a chance of increasing our library of already existing music. Which is always a good thing. The more music, the more chances we have of getting great music. And of course it's all about preference. There isn't a universal type of music every one listens to. People like different kinds of music. Just like people like different types of nuts, spaghetti sauce, and cars.

I agree with Joey though. The internet is bringing more and more music to the table everyday. Your style of music is out there somewhere. You just have to dig to find it.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Music didn't die in the nineties. Punk rock died in the nineties, hair metal died in the nineties, grunge died in the nineties... but it's not like any of those genres were good anyways. So nothing of value was lost.

There are plenty of great bands of the 2000's. Arcade Fire, Gogol Bordello, The Strokes, Tv on The Radio, Lady Gaga.. etc
:p

inb4 Chatrage

The Strokes though are pretty good. Haven't listened to them in aggggges...