• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Respect and Decency

LocutusEstBorg

Maybe I've been living in my over protective world for too long, but the more I try to socialize with people, the more I see a complete lack of respect and a blatant disregard for basic human decency.

I've been trying to get to know this girl recently; she asks me for help with stuff and seems pretty friendly. As far as I can interpret she keeps saying things that require her to come over to my place, or that she's gonna be in the vicinity for some reason and she'll drop in or something. Sometimes when I call her (not often at all) she doesn't pick up and can't even be bothered to call back or message, or picks up and gives an ultra lame excuse to end the conversation. She makes plans to go out but it doesn't happen and she doesn't bother to call and explain herself either.

Then there's this other girl I know who claimed to want to be 'good friends' with me for no apparent reason. She to can't be bothered to return a call. Nor does she keep her word when she says she'll call etc.

Most of the guys I know are hardened rogues so its pretty much beyond them to act polite hence it doesn't disappoint when they don't. But when otherwise nice people act this way its fucking pissing off and hurts.

If my dad called me a couple of times and I didn't bother to call back or go see him soon afterwards, he'd literally beat the fucking crap out of me the next time he saw me. I'd be thrashed black and blue for such an act of disrespect.

People in my family don't act like that and I expect the people I associate myself with to act the same. Is it really too much to expect others to have basic manners and be considerate??

Chathurga

If my dad called me a couple of times and I didn't bother to call back or go see him soon afterwards, he'd literally beat the fucking crap out of me the next time he saw me. I'd be thrashed black and blue for such an act of disrespect.

Battle "disrespect" (I honestly don't think it's that bad) with incredible disrespect, your father is a smart man!

Also it isn't an act of disrespect, not doing something is the exact opposite of an act.

Adiuvo

Basic manners are a thing of the past. People feel that their owed something, and that their situation is unique. If they don't return calls or answer back, then drop them. People like that don't deserve much.

mannymix03

Welcome to the real world, get a job and realize how stupid and rude the rest of society is.

every day I work I realize why i'm going to get a masters degree, I cannot take one more day working in the service or retail industry.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
This is society in the modern age. It's only going downhill from here, meaning the gap between decent and intolerable people is increasing.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Welcome to the real world. It's been this way for thousands(Or more, depending on your beliefs, but that's of a whole new topic) of years. People suck. That's how it is and always will be.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
People are an ungrateful bunch of pricks. That is something that will never change. Just learn to choose the right ones to have by your side.

But also, that's why communities like these exist right? Here you can find friendly (but also unfriendly people) with which you can identify and talk with and even have nice arguments with. Also learning new things is a big pro.

Can't think of anything else right now, but if I do I'll post again.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I'm one of those people.

sometimes I can't answer calls, and People get bitchy if I don't call them back in a timely fashion, so I rarely ever return calls, the last thing I want to hear is somebody complain about how they couldn't complain earlier .

And if your dad would kick your ass for not answering a call, he's the one with the problem, not society.

LocutusEstBorg

Battle "disrespect" (I honestly don't think it's that bad) with incredible disrespect, your father is a smart man!

Well maybe not the first time, but if I did it a couple of times he would.

Welcome to the real world, get a job and realize how stupid and rude the rest of society is.

every day I work I realize why i'm going to get a masters degree, I cannot take one more day working in the service or retail industry.

I haven't worked in a formal environment like a company, only done some work for people I know. Dad doesn't wan't me to get a job until I'm done with ALL the educational qualifications I might be interested in (Yes people obey their parents and live under their roof for a LONG time over here). But some of my friends who finished college with me who work in the service industry say theres so much politics that people like me wouldn't last a week. I'd be taking the flak for anything and everything.

A_Nub

Developer
People in general are complete idiots. I do not claim to be the smartest, but I can say that my parents are quite daft at times. Along with many of the people I know. I do know a few people who are awesome, they share similar mindsets/philosophies with me. However, a lot of the time I must put on a "game face" and play the part they expect me to play. This may sound odd, but emotion to me is all acting. There are only a few things that bring true emotion to me. So far those have been extreme sports, and near death experiences(adrenaline rushes). These girls you talk about. I have the same exact situations. Truth be told, you need to be honest. It will either work out or it won't. But that is better than doing nothing. Loafing and waiting for them to act is a waste, you need to take matters into your own hands. You can be blatant (I seem to do this) or you can convolute it. You do however need to approach them about the situation, and not sit back and let them slap you around. But on the most part, I have found my self to be acting out roles depending upon situations. I am not sure if this is normal because it surely does not seem to be. I always have a hard time understanding people who have emotional reactions to a lot of things. I seem to approach every thing very logically. I find that emotions are irrational and use no reasoning, so I do not use them. Hey call me a freak, it really does not bother me, because I will look at it in a different way than most would. I would analyze why you are calling me this, and what motives you have, rather than taking it as a personal offense, because name calling/mockery is only a problem on the end that is creating it. For me, acting in a social environment (playing out a role via emotions to be socially accepted into a group you wish to be associated with) seems like an odd out of body experience, as I do not believe or actually feel what I am portraying.

Well that was long winded and poorly written, but hey, English is a bitch.

eighty4

That's exactly what every teenager thinks. But oddly enough in every irc chan - I mean, "other place" - they are regarded as one of the most idiotic people.

LocutusEstBorg

I was just thinking about this, again, after an experience with some people. This is probably why the caste system was invented in India. It keeps the buggers in their place. Literally isolates you from them. Of course there are innocent victims in the process, but for the most part the stereotypes hold good.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
I was just thinking about this, again, after an experience with some people. This is probably why the caste system was invented in India. It keeps the buggers in their place. Literally isolates you from them. Of course there are innocent victims in the process, but for the most part the stereotypes hold good.

...no.

eldiablov

Contributor

You're insane.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
People in general are complete idiots. I do not claim to be the smartest, but I can say that my parents are quite daft at times. Along with many of the people I know. I do know a few people who are awesome, they share similar mindsets/philosophies with me. However, a lot of the time I must put on a "game face" and play the part they expect me to play. This may sound odd, but emotion to me is all acting. There are only a few things that bring true emotion to me. So far those have been extreme sports, and near death experiences(adrenaline rushes). These girls you talk about. I have the same exact situations. Truth be told, you need to be honest. It will either work out or it won't. But that is better than doing nothing. Loafing and waiting for them to act is a waste, you need to take matters into your own hands. You can be blatant (I seem to do this) or you can convolute it. You do however need to approach them about the situation, and not sit back and let them slap you around. But on the most part, I have found my self to be acting out roles depending upon situations. I am not sure if this is normal because it surely does not seem to be. I always have a hard time understanding people who have emotional reactions to a lot of things. I seem to approach every thing very logically. I find that emotions are irrational and use no reasoning, so I do not use them. Hey call me a freak, it really does not bother me, because I will look at it in a different way than most would. I would analyze why you are calling me this, and what motives you have, rather than taking it as a personal offense, because name calling/mockery is only a problem on the end that is creating it. For me, acting in a social environment (playing out a role via emotions to be socially accepted into a group you wish to be associated with) seems like an odd out of body experience, as I do not believe or actually feel what I am portraying.

Well that was long winded and poorly written, but hey, English is a bitch.
Blunt Rant is Blunt and only true from whatever point of view you choose to see it.

Indifference will come back to hurt you and bite you in the ass someday.