• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Sony Rebuilding PSN, Still No ETA On When Service Will Resume

Dan

Contributor
Yeah, I read that earlier too. I hope so, I need to get the co-op finished for Portal before my exams start.

january39

eXo Staff
The answer to all of their problems is in January39's sig.

Always happy to help :p

Much better explanation than 'undergoing maintenance'

El Diablo

I don't really care either way and this might come across wrong as I just woke up from a nap but I think those people don't mind so much as the machines providing the service are Sony's property and the machine you're playing the games on are your property. You don't get a say in how they use their machines and they shouldn't get a say in how you run yours. Does that kinda make sense? I'm gunna get a cup of tea.

On a separate note, I wonder how many mentions I would get if I tweeted that my ps3 worked with various hashtags added on :D

This is basically how I see it. OtherOS was an advertised feature on the console itself that we paid for to buy, we aren't renting it from them. We bought it, it's our property, so when they remove that feature and give us the option "Either continue to use OtherOS and not be able to play any video games, or play video games and not have the other feature" I think that's a pretty "evil" thing to do if you want to call it that, considering they could have patched it or found a way to block hacks instead of completely permanently removing it.

Like Menace said, the network is their property and they can do whatever it is they want with it and if taking it down for some time for maintenance to prevent further problems with it, I think that is reasonable. Not only is it a free service that you aren't paying a fee to use, but they are not permanently removing it, simply taking it down for a small period of time. I don't use PSN so it doesn't affect me in any way so I'm sure that adds to my not caring but I see it as their property and a free service so they can take it down whenever they want for whatever reason.

Not to mention in the TOS's and shit you agree to when you access the PSN, I'm sure they mention in there "Sony reserves the right to discontinue this service at any time we see fit without having to give notice." or something like that. I mean, they did add one in there in the last TOS update that currently it is free to create an account and access the PSN, but at any time they can add a fee to create an account.

alfie_wrex

can someone point me to a clause or eula maybe, that came with their receipt from their ps3, or in the box itself that entitles you to a free, working, functional psn by mere virtue of buying the the ps3? the only thing i see even closely related to that is a disclaimer distictly waiving any liability for software pre-installed on the unit (psn interface, etc.) if people would actually read the fine print that came with the crap they buy you wouldn't have all the baseless crybaby opinions running around right now. you got what you paid for regardless if you didnt bother to read everything that came with it.
psn isnt free because you have to pay your isp, and netflix? c'mon man! did sony make you buy some super expensive internet service before you were allowed to use psn, nope. are you still fapping to under age manga girls on the internet while psn is down, yes. you have to pay that irrespective of psn and the benefits of both are in no way tethered to a working psn. sony has to pay you for money you spend for internet service and netflix while psn is down? rediculous.

Dan

Contributor
I don't get what the problem is. Using the PLAYSTATION NETWORK ONLY IS FREE. Your internet connection is a completely different entity. Downloadable content, LoveFilm, Netflix, Playstation Plus - you buy them of YOUR OWN REGARD. I don't see what's so hard to understand about this.

AcheNone

@alfe 'psn isnt free because you have to pay your isp, and netflix? c'mon man! did sony make you buy some super expensive internet service before you were allowed to use psn, nope. are you still fapping to under age manga girls on the internet while psn is down, yes. you have to pay that irrespective of psn and the benefits of both are in no way tethered to a working psn. sony has to pay you for money you spend for internet service and netflix while psn is down? rediculous.'
^This
This is what I exactly think. Come on guys, this stuff happens. It cant be help. Let's just acknowledge that quite likely the security has really been looked at and we dont have to argue for compensation in this or that way.

BlackSheep

whats up with all the randoms?
On topic I want $ony to give me ten years worth of plus or im taking them to court all of them hahahahahahahaHAHAHAHAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I don't really care either way and this might come across wrong as I just woke up from a nap but I think those people don't mind so much as the machines providing the service are Sony's property and the machine you're playing the games on are your property. You don't get a say in how they use their machines and they shouldn't get a say in how you run yours. Does that kinda make sense? I'm gunna get a cup of tea.

On a separate note, I wonder how many mentions I would get if I tweeted that my ps3 worked with various hashtags added on :D
I'm with you on the not caring either way bit. It's just funny that people are quick to talk down to those that are upset about the downtime, but when a feature they want is effected then its the end of the world. I never gave a shit about other OS, but I never castigated the people that did.
The main comment I was referring to was whomever said: Nobody forced you to pay for PS+. If that is the case then nobody can get upset about anything; because nobody forced any of us to buy a PS3 in the first place. But I forgot that only butthurt hackers and fucking pirates are allowed to be upset about something.

just to clarify... I don't have PS+, I'm not upset about the PSN being down. So all of this is coming from a completely neutral standpoint.

El Diablo

They aren't the only people allowed to be upset but the "features" being "removed" in the 2 situations is completely different. One is a complete removal of a feature from a console you own and paid for, while the other is a temporary take down of an online service for maintenance and repairs that your PS3 allows you to access.

I understand where your coming from, I really do, but I don't see how you can't seem to realize the difference between the two situations.

Also, I'm not attacking anyone for being mad about it. I understand where they are coming from and why they are upset, but it's a free online service and you have to realize that shit happens and it will be back.

As for the PS+ comment, people are complaining about losing time on their PS+ because PSN is going down for a week~. My point is that they decided to pay that money for additional features to the online service. The service itself is free, there is no required fee to it, people choose to pay if they want to. If something like xbox live or an MMO goes down for a week, that IS a big deal because you are consistently paying monthly, and forced to pay that monthly fee to access it. PS+ is an optional addition you can get if you want.

And you are right, you truly are. No one forced me or anyone to buy a PS3, however when we did buy it, we bought it under the information that it would have an otherOS feature on the console for us to use our PS3s as a computer and run other operating systems on. It was an advertised feature we paid for with the product that was permanently removed without any further access to it. When you buy a ps3, you buy it with the advertisement that it is able to connect to the PSN, which it can. It still can, it has since it came out, and you always will be able to. A temporary down time of an online service you will still be able to access != indefinite removal of a feature of the console you paid for.

Online service = Sonys property. Console you paid for = your property.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
They aren't the only people allowed to be upset but the "features" being "removed" in the 2 situations is completely different. One is a complete removal of a feature from a console you own and paid for, while the other is a temporary take down of an online service for maintenance and repairs that your PS3 allows you to access.

I understand where your coming from, I really do, but I don't see how you can't seem to realize the difference between the two situations.

Also, I'm not attacking anyone for being mad about it. I understand where they are coming from and why they are upset, but it's a free online service and you have to realize that shit happens and it will be back.

As for the PS+ comment, people are complaining about losing time on their PS+ because PSN is going down for a week~. My point is that they decided to pay that money for additional features to the online service. The service itself is free, there is no required fee to it, people choose to pay if they want to. If something like xbox live or an MMO goes down for a week, that IS a big deal because you are consistently paying monthly, and forced to pay that monthly fee to access it. PS+ is an optional addition you can get if you want.

And you are right, you truly are. No one forced me or anyone to buy a PS3, however when we did buy it, we bought it under the information that it would have an otherOS feature on the console for us to use our PS3s as a computer and run other operating systems on. It was an advertised feature we paid for with the product that was permanently removed without any further access to it. When you buy a ps3, you buy it with the advertisement that it is able to connect to the PSN, which it can. It still can, it has since it came out, and you always will be able to. A temporary down time of an online service you will still be able to access != indefinite removal of a feature of the console you paid for.

Online service = Sonys property. Console you paid for = your property.

Well... console you paid for =/= your property according to Sony's recent lawsuits :/

El Diablo

Sucks for Sony's engineers, rebuilding the whole thing?

Worst possible time, over the easter break.

Isn't this like the first time PSN's ever been down though? It sucks yeah, but in all fairness PSN has been a reliable and decent online network considering it's free.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well... console you paid for =/= your property according to Sony's recent lawsuits :/

I'm guessing the FW is a factor here. It is their property, not yours and you need it to use your PS3.

That's only way I can think that makes sense xD

tetryst

the thing is

saying that sony owes you something for being down for a few days is about the same as saying that the cable company owes you because every night it's ruined for a few minutes by the emergency broadcast system tests.
the amount of down-time, in both cases, is miniscule.

and anyone who thinks that somehow microsoft treats their customers better than sony (or vice versa) doesn't really understand that both companies (all companies) are trying to bleed us dry in any way they can.

Anyone who sells their ps3 and gets a 360 instead because of this insignificant incident deserves to lose 60 bucks a month to microsoft in order to play the same three games released with slightly better graphics year after year (shoot game, sports game, and fighting game, respectively). If only microsoft deserved to receive that money, the system would be working.

---------- Post added at 01:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 AM ----------

as far as the hacking is concerned: jailbreaking your own system should be 100% legal.
Hacking sony's network is another story. I don't think it's immoral, but I don't think killing people with an IQ of less than 50 is necessarily immoral either. Sort of a gray area, that.

Sychophantom

The only way this really affected me was that I had planned on buying a game via PSN this week on one of their sales. Spent the money elsewhere.
Maybe PSN won't lag so much now.. Not holding my breath, but it'd be nice.

Sarcasm

An apology and a list of the changes made to better secure the network should be for public viewing upon completion of rebuild.

omnipotent

netflix still works on my fat ps3. just cancel twice and netflix auto-loads. hurray to the hackers for taking down goliath. code is not owned but should be shared. if you buy the machine you own it, code and all. don't like any of the games online but this break from psn lead to me getting EXERCISE OUTSIDE!!!!