• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3.40 OE-A Install Guide

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Hi guys,

I have an old original 1.5 FW PSP. I have been running emulators on it, and I found an old Japanese web browser that works for checking out sites on the Net. I have one UMD, but I've only used my PSP to play emulator games (lol, $200 PSP to play a $10 NES game)Anyway, I was just curious as to what was out there new for the PSP and I came across Dark Alex's amazing work, which lead me to this thread.

I have some quick questions, that I can't seem to find the answers to anywhere:

1. If I upgrade my 1.5 to 3.40 OE-A can I revert back to 1.5 if I want to in the future?

2. What features does 3.40 OE-A have that 1.5 doesn't. specifically, does it have a built in web browser? Does it have an email reader? Does it emulate PS1 games, etc..

Please keep in mind that I haven't experienced any firmware other than 1.5.....so if 3.40 OE-A has all the features of the official Sony 3.40 FW, please list some of those features for me.

I've never upgraded the FW before, and I want to find out ahead of time if it's actually worth possibly bricking my PSP to not gain any more functionality than I have now with 1.5

Thanks guys,
Bob

1. Yes, it's very easy to revert, we have a guide on how to do it here on the forum, very easily-accessible.

2. It does absolutely everything 1.5 does and more, quite simply put. It has built-in devhook which will emulate all the way up to whatever the custom firmware is, this being 3.40, which devhook only emulates to 3.11; It's also alot easier to tweak settings though the recovery menu; it has a recovery from semi-bricking; it has support for all homebrew and emulators 'n' such; you can flash custom themes, therefore customizing the look of your PSP's XMB. it does everything 3.40 does, being the built-in web browser, the RSS feeds, compatibility for h264 mp4's, WMA and Flash compatibility, and etc.

Also, there is little-to-no chance of bricking; that being said, there is no guarantee, but if you follow the direction 'n' such it's probably 99.9% chance that it won't brick.

SnyperBob

carputer hacker
Wow, thanks for the super fast response. That's the kind of answers I've spent two days trying to find.

I think I'm going to try this out later today and see what happens. As long as I can revert back to 1.5, I'm up for trying it.

Now I'm off to try and find that guide to downgrade back to 1.5. I need to see if it requires Lumines/GTA or whatever, since I don't have either one of those now.

Thanks for the input! If you have a quick link to that guide I'd appreciate it, otherwise I'll post it here once I find it :)

Cheezeball99

SnyperBob

carputer hacker
Yes, I'm still using 1.5

I just wanted to figure out when I do upgrade to 3.40 OE-A if I could go back to 1.5 if I ever needed to.

I've never upgraded my FW ever, that's why I'm still running 1.5. Hmm...now all I need is something that will download my email to the PSP and I'll be golden. Thanks!

Cheezeball99

Yes, I'm still using 1.5

I just wanted to figure out when I do upgrade to 3.40 OE-A if I could go back to 1.5 if I ever needed to.

I've never upgraded my FW ever, that's why I'm still running 1.5. Hmm...now all I need is something that will download my email to the PSP and I'll be golden. Thanks!

Well, you can always use the web-based email stuff, like hotmail and yahoo 'n' such, those work in the PSP's web browser.

mystikdawg

when i put the 340oeflasher and 340oeflasher% in my game150 folder and turn it on and goto the memory card start the 3.40 oe-a firmware install it goes to the program and says hit x to start i hit x and it says " Opening and validating dxar file ... not existing or invalid dxar for this update " , im running currently 3.03 oe-c have tried another memory card and same results Any help is appriciated

Acerthief

then during the process of making DATA.DXAR, did the program say that the SHA-1 is incorrect during the validation?
try to make the DATA.DXAR, and this time see the whole process, and especially keep an eye on the SHA-1 validation process, and see if the results come out in green text or red text.

mystikdawg

no it says "3.40 OE-a DXAR update maker by Dark_aleX.
Uses code of psardumper *pspPet) for psar extraction.
Opening and checking 150.PBP...
Invalid 1.50 update file (3)

see it did that earlier on me so i just d/l'ed the correct 3.40oeflasher with all the files in it since i couldnt make the dxar file well it makes it but the file is 0 kbs so like i said since it wouldnt make the file i just skipped that step and d/l'ed the 3.40oeflasher files with the already made like 17.6 dxar file , so im confused why its not working

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
well ive tried several 150.pbp and still saying the same thing so im confused of what to do

Click properties on the file an ensure it matches with the following size: 13,900,225 bytes

If the file size matches, you might have a fake memory stick. Are you able to try with another?

mystikdawg

Click properties on the file an ensure it matches with the following size: 13,900,225 bytes

If the file size matches, you might have a fake memory stick. Are you able to try with another?

you nailed it right on the head my friend , many thanks to you , and why in gods earth does the "fake" memory card save fine and all that same directorys but dosent work , very strange ?! OK everyone anyone with my problems in the few previous posts follow the instructions given to me by these nice people and youll be slammin 3.40 oe-a in no time Thx bunches

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
you nailed it right on the head my friend , many thanks to you , and why in gods earth does the "fake" memory card save fine and all that same directorys but dosent work , very strange ?! OK everyone anyone with my problems in the few previous posts follow the instructions given to me by these nice people and youll be slammin 3.40 oe-a in no time Thx bunches

Glad you got it working :smile:

Fake memory sticks are slower than real ones, so when you're creating the DXAR, it's putting a lot more stress on the memory stick than a simple save read / write. That's why most fake memory sticks fail at this point.

arnold3k

3.03 oec to 3.40 question

I have the 3.03 OE-C and I see a GAME150 and GAME303 folder. Do I still use the GAME150 folder to transfer 340oeflasher? Just want to be ablsolutely sure before I start this and not brick my PSP. ALso does upgrading to 3.40 solve the problems of "GAME COULD NOT BE STARTED (80020321)" popping up with my 3.03 version? Thanks.

arnold3k

Help NOOB here

Hi, I'm trying to follow instructions upgrading to 3.40 (currently on 3.03 OEC). In this step:
WHen I go to run the 3.40 Update Maker I see a CORRUPTED DATA file. What is this? Should I proceed?
thanks again
arnold.