• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[Competition] Design A GamerCard

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I'd say give it a shot Fresh, you never know. I'm also a little disappointed that there really doesn't seem to be any interest in this contest either.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'd say give it a shot Fresh, you never know. I'm also a little disappointed that there really doesn't seem to be any interest in this contest either.

It's a design contest, there are only a select few on these forums that are capable, or have shown that they are capable, of producing anything artistic. For me, I have designs in my head but can never translate them into photoshop since my skills are very limited

MenaceInc

Staff Member
For anyone who wants to give it a shot, I've put together a sort of resource pack with a copy of every image you may need.
http://filevo.com/bg85sms20369.html

You can download it there. I put it together with CS2 so it should work fine for everyone.

As for myself, I think I'll have a dig for some inspiration...thinking maybe something minimalistic...or maybe something colourful and pixelly.

Dan

Contributor
I don't have photoshop at my Dad's house, I'll give it a shot when I get back though.

Freshmilk, how come no entry from you? :(

Moose

Meta Moose
I'mma give it a go, won't get it done by tonight though.

EDIT: Also, thanks Menace, that's a handy PSD. =)

xploren

Contributor
For anyone entering, I recommend making a design for a compact gamercard. I haven't seen any entries for such a size, and I haven't been able to figure out a decent design for it, so it'd be interesting to see what you guys come up with.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
It's a design contest, there are only a select few on these forums that are capable, or have shown that they are capable, of producing anything artistic. For me, I have designs in my head but can never translate them into photoshop since my skills are very limited

To be quite honest, I think this mindset is the main reason why not many people have entered thus far. I think you guys should bear in mind that anyone's capable of trying to design a gamercard, even if you're not too creative or particularly skilled. Theres no penalty for trying and failing. I think that, in the way this competition has been advertised, most people have been given the impression that there is a certain skill level required to enter, and that they'll look bad for entering designs that are not as good as others, when really you've nothing to lose. My Two Cents. :smile:

Just to note, that's the sort of attitude I think people should take. I might design a card, to lower the bar for others. :) Though, I can't even run Steam games on this PC. :scared:

EDIT: Thanks for the PSD, Menace, helped a lot.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
To be quite honest, I think this mindset is the main reason why not many people have entered thus far. I think you guys should bear in mind that anyone's capable of trying to design a gamercard, even if you're not too creative or particularly skilled. Theres no penalty for trying and failing. I think that, in the way this competition has been advertised, most people have been given the impression that there is a certain skill level required to enter, and that they'll look bad for entering designs that are not as good as others, when really you've nothing to lose. My Two Cents. :smile:

Just to note, that's the sort of attitude I think people should take. I might design a card, to lower the bar for others. :) Though, I can't even run Steam games on this PC. :scared:

EDIT: Thanks for the PSD, Menace, helped a lot.

That's not what I was trying to say. I'm just saying not many of us are artistic enough to make anything acceptable, even to our own terms. I had a few designs in mind but I couldn't replicate them. No one wants to put out a crappy gamertag design, it's plain and simple. Our next context will be one that does not require any kind of specific skill (like this one). I still encourage everyone to try and make one, even if it's simple - I like simple.

I'm just explaining why there isn't much interest in the contest and it's hard to deny that that's not the problem. We still want a lot of people to compete and give it a try and we will definitely have more user-friendly contests in the future.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
This is something I'm still working on but it's pretty close I feel...maybe need a better font but we'll see. BTW, this isn't my entry into the competition, not yet. Just looking for some critique

V8Un5.jpg

Thinking rounding the corners a bit would help.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
In my opinion, Menace, I think you're right in saying that you might need a change of font, or maybe even just a change of font colour. But then again, I can't really judge it, since I'm using Arial. :glare: Other than that I like your design. :) Anyway, here is my half-finished compact gamercard design:

35hfmvr.png

I thought I'd try and keep it simple-ish, but I'm going to add more detail eventually, I think. At the moment I think it's a bit *too* plain. I thought I'd go for making a simple, compact gamercard in Paint, having had no luck making a normal sized one in Photoshop. :crying:

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
In my opinion, Menace, I think you're right in saying that you might need a change of font, or maybe even just a change of font colour. But then again, I can't really judge it, since I'm using Arial. :glare: Other than that I like your design. :) Anyway, here is my half-finished compact gamercard design:

35hfmvr.png

I thought I'd try and keep it simple-ish, but I'm going to add more detail eventually, I think. At the moment I think it's a bit *too* plain. I thought I'd go for making a simple, compact gamercard in Paint, having had no luck making a normal sized one in Photoshop. :crying:

So far that's looking great, I love compact and simple designs :)

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
I've worked on this design non-stop since I posted my half-done image over an hour ago, and I've only just finished. In all honesty I didn't expect it to take so long. :scared: Anyway, I've no idea how we're supposed to submit designs, so I've put together 2 or 3 blank gamercards along with some examples of how they look filled in. I havn't provided all the possible layouts; I still need to swap around the entries a bit more to make sure I have all 3 services on the top and bottom, but for now I think the 6 I've given give a good illustration of the design. So, without further ado, here's my (pretty much complete) compact dual-gamercard design;

9jp3xw.png

Any criticism is welcome, though I know I havn't really provided a good example of a PSN card. I couldn't find any images big enough to be resized other than the one provided. Also, just to ask, once I've submitted a 'finished work', am I still alright to edit it a little more further down the line? And, can one person enter more than once, or in both categories? Thanks in advance. :smile:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yup, feel free to submit as many revisions of a design as you'd like. :)

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Looks really good. Only suggestion I'd make is changing the yellow bars to blue perhaps?
Think I need to start over again...need to think about what font I should use.

TO DAFONT.COM :D

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Looks really good. Only suggestion I'd make is changing the yellow bars to blue perhaps?
Think I need to start over again...need to think about what font I should use.

TO DAFONT.COM :D

I kind of like the yellow (well it goes well with the body which is gray). I think I'll take a wack at designing one tonight, of course just for fun and not as an entry

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Here's my super rough half-hour attempt at a gamercard
2easdj6.jpg

I will probably fix it up tomorrow if I still like it (I know its missing some stuff, and the text is unreadable on black right now)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Here's a concept I started but, due to my lack of artistic skill, will be unable to finish. It's just a concept so if anyone would like to polish it off and finish it, you're welcome to it (I will provide you with a PSD).

4955342087_81de6c74dc.jpg

ilyace

Here's a concept I started but, due to my lack of artistic skill, will be unable to finish. It's just a concept so if anyone would like to polish it off and finish it, you're welcome to it (I will provide you with a PSD).

4955342087_81de6c74dc.jpg

Where does it say eXophase.com gamercard on there!?