• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dark_AleX releases 3.40 OE-A and 3.30 OE-A2

Brutus_X

Wow, amazingly helpful first post and incredibly long thread!

I was wondering if you, who obviously has been part of the scene for some time, could fill me in on the differences between the firmwares? I'm running DA's 2.71SE-C, which seems to work very well. Is there a reason I should install the 3.30OE or 3.40OE instead? Are there benefits or disadvantages? F.i. would I be able to run ISOs that doesn't work under my current FW?

Also, I'm an experienced software developer and I was thinking of contributing to porting MAME to the PSP, anyone who knows if there's already and efforts going on toward this?

Krelian

PopUlarity

Probably the most common reason anyone is on 3.xxOE firmware is to be able to convert PSone games for use on PSP, other than that there will be some increased game compatibility (especially for the new ones coming out this year).
As far as a MAME emulator goes there were a few primitive ones (MAME4ALL, PSPMAME, Xmame) being worked on long ago but they've all fallen off the radar...

Brutus_X

Probably the most common reason anyone is on 3.xxOE firmware is to be able to convert PSone games for use on PSP, other than that there will be some increased game compatibility (especially for the new ones coming out this year).
As far as a MAME emulator goes there were a few primitive ones (MAME4ALL, PSPMAME, Xmame) being worked on long ago but they've all fallen off the radar...

Ok, so basically, there is nothing to lose from moving to 3.xxOE, while gaining compatibility? But it also seems like few people recommends the 3.40OE yet... What FW would you recommend atm?

As for MAME, no efforts underway as of now, hm? That would mean trying to port the entire project from scratch... Ouch! Oh well, it can be done, though if starting out alone I think I'll start by learning to program the PSP first; it will hopefully allow me to avoid a number of pitfalls...

Krelian

Majority rules.

Most people are either on 3.03OE-C because they're stubborn, lazy, or seem to think that being able to customize your XMB is somehow important while most everybody else is on 3.40OE-A because it's the newest (and the XMB is still mostly customizable if you're into that).
I'd recommend 3.40OE-A but if you want you can go down to any other OE firmware later if you feel the urge.

Brutus_X

Because the PSP fora are so replete with worrying threads, some paranoia seemed only warranted, but from here and other places too I've been told that I lose nothing and gain capabilities and compatibility by switching from 2.71 SE-C --> 3.40 OE-A.

Big thanks!

Chafiro

I have the 3.40 OE firmware on my PSP and if I try to put any image as a wallpaper all the configuration and advanced configuration mess up and it doesn`t leave use any hombrew, isos or even the UMD I just have to restablish the configuration and it`s ok again but the image that I have put as a wallpaper disapears is it an error of the version of this firmware or what should I do to use my photos or images as wallpapers, thanks in advance.

nigma

OK, i'm new to all this stuff (custom firmware, homebrews etc...), and i'm sure this has been asked and answered already, so you guys can say wahtever you want, but i need this answered. I have a PSP with 3.11 firmware. Is there anything i can do to be able to mod this? Can i update to Dark ALex's 3.40 Open Edition? would that work? I want to be able to play PSX games on the PSP.

Anything you can do to help would be great. thanks

Roe

No 3.11 firmware can't be downgraded. And in order to mod it you need to downgrade.

mmafighter077

I'm trying to play snes and sega emulator but it keeps giving me the 8002014c error. (this is after i installed 3.40 OE-A. How do i get them to work? Do i have to downgrade to 1.5 everytime i want to play? or is there a setting that i need to put in when i press "R" at the start up. thank for the help. Im somewhat of a noob so bear with me.

nasman123

Whats new about 3.40 OE-A i dont get it lol im not much a gamer my self. I mean wut s the new features i wanted to ask how do u put games free games on your psp???lol

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor