• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Do you want to see the PS3 HACKED?

Steel

Im sure something beta will come soon i hope. Also i think emulators is one main reason why i want it hacked. a nice running n64 emulator would be amazing.

I don't see this happening even if it is hacked. That cell processor is going to be a pain in the arse for homebrew devs to code for. Especially without any SDK or documentation. Most probably wouldn't bother.

Having said that though I hope it does. I'd love some emulators.

Hellcat

Contributor
There is a Cell SDK from IBM IIRC (not targetted towards the PS3, but at least for it's CPU) and we got an unofficial SDK for the PSP, so my guess is we're also to get one for the PS3 once it's "open".

_Syn

There is a Cell SDK from IBM IIRC (not targetted towards the PS3, but at least for it's CPU) and we got an unofficial SDK for the PSP, so my guess is we're also to get one for the PS3 once it's "open".

Like anyone would open up a $400 system and fail a few times :p

PSP767

Id love nothing more than to play homebrew on my ps3 from the xmb, i know you can run some emulators on various distros of linux. not ever been interested in the whole piracy thing.

Serideth

I'm with Phil on this. I'd love proper custom themes and what not, but the ISOs would be so large I doubt I'd bother downloading them, so not for piracy.

Vee

I dont understand the whole "ISOS would be too large" arguement. Wouldn't every PSP iso that was left completley uncompressed, be about 1GB?

Its why the .cso and .dax compression methods were made. If they ever find a way to run images of games, i'm sure they'll find a way to compress them. Or just rip unneccesery stuff out. I could see the average game being about 5/6GB's after that.

Riorio99

I want to see the thing hacked.
Not for piracy, but so it can be hacked.
I have a weird obsession for having nothing left alone.

eighty4

I dont understand the whole "ISOS would be too large" arguement. Wouldn't every PSP iso that was left completley uncompressed, be about 1GB?

Its why the .cso and .dax compression methods were made. If they ever find a way to run images of games, i'm sure they'll find a way to compress them. Or just rip unneccesery stuff out. I could see the average game being about 5/6GB's after that.

PS3 games are played on Bluray discs, bluray is about 25GB big.

The Teej

Also know as The Tjalian
I'd love to see it hacked for the Homebrew, but well, I dread to imagine the repercussions for Sony if a large portion of revenue they make from PS3 software disappears. They're losing money on every PS3 sold, relying on PS3 software to make money. We all know how bad PSP piracy is, I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be that bad on the PS3 if an ISO loader came about.

However, another thing is, bar a few people, who really in the Homebrew scene would be up for tackling the Cell? I heard it's not so easy to code for. I wouldn't want it to be hacked only to get a fairly decent application once in a blue moon.

Cryox

Bro.
I don't own a PS3, but i would like to see it hacked. It would probably be a pretty cool console if it could run 3rd party apps and such. I don't have a view for whether or not i'd like to be able to run pirated game on it, but it would be nice renting a game, copy it, return it, play it whenever.

mp3gamefreak

Yes I would like to see it hacked. I share my PS3 with my brothers and my cousins so I can't really do anything to it. If it was hacked I wish it would have support for all media types and containers and codecs. I am very tired of converting videos to work with the PS3.

Bulgar Trev

I would like to see it hacked, but as most people say not for piracy. The thing with hacking consoles is that piracy always shows up sooner or later, so i think it will be inevitable that piracy would happen if the PS3 was hacked. I wonder how many people are up to downloading 30GB+ games. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy a game rather than download one, my internet is pay as you go. Around

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
I would like to see it hacked, but as most people say not for piracy. The thing with hacking consoles is that piracy always shows up sooner or later, so i think it will be inevitable that piracy would happen if the PS3 was hacked. I wonder how many people are up to downloading 30GB+ games. It would actually be cheaper for me to buy a game rather than download one, my internet is pay as you go. Around

Sullivan

Ok, even if the ps3 was hacked, it would totally be worth buying a blu ray burner and blu ray discs.

Blu ray burner is like 300-400$, I have seen some LG's for 200$. And 5 Blu ray discs are like 30$. So Its already made up for the cost there.

4 Brand new PS3 games, in the USA, in texas with taxes, come out to 65$ a piece exact...