• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Final Fantasy XIV Discussion Thread

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I was never fond of Enix anyways xD Ever since Sakaguchi left the FF series died. And curiously enough, ever since he left SE he hasn't been as successful.

However the Enix games retained their quality (I'm looking at you Star Ocean and Dragon Quest) and in some way got even better. Wtf D:

Makes you wonder how the company works on the inside.

And I agree on the wuss characters thing. Cloud was also a wuss but he had there was a badass thing to his style (even if it was mainly spikey hair xD)

What? Cloud was the epitome of badass. His only downfall was when he found out he was just a clonefag and he freaked the fuck out. Other than that his demeanor was mostly - eh, whatever, ill just kill it

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What? Cloud was the epitome of badass. His only downfall was when he found out he was just a clonefag and he freaked the fuck out. Other than that his demeanor was mostly - eh, whatever, ill just kill it

That and the fact he dressed as a girl. When he could have just busted in the door and slashed everyone. xD

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
KerzaPlanes said:
However the Enix games retained their quality (I'm looking at you Star Ocean and Dragon Quest) and in some way got even better. Wtf D:

I always felt Enix was the better developer, but that's just me. I feel one of the key factors to Dragon Quest's success has been that they've never mixed up the formula. It's still a traditional RPG at heart. Whereas, with FF, SE opts to revamp the system with each new installment.

On that note, DQ VIII on PS2 was nothing short of epic. I'd go as far to say it was the pinnacle RPG of that era. I haven't given IX a go yet but from what I hear it's amazing. One of things I love about DQ is that the story is often told through gameplay rather than dramatic cutscenes. It makes for a far more engaging experience compared to the approach of modern-day FFs.

And jeez.. those FFXIV review scores are abysmal. :eek:hmy:

TeamOverload

Was looking for a good MMO as of late, but clearly, this isn't it. Might have to go back to WoW :/ Although Lego Universe looks rather promising.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I always felt Enix was the better developer, but that's just me. I feel one of the key factors to Dragon Quest's success has been that they've never mixed up the formula. It's still a traditional RPG at heart. Whereas, with FF, SE opts to revamp the system with each new installment.

On that note, DQ VIII on PS2 was nothing short of epic. I'd go as far to say it was the pinnacle RPG of that era. I haven't given IX a go yet but from what I hear it's amazing. One of things I love about DQ is that the story is often told through gameplay rather than dramatic cutscenes. It makes for a far more engaging experience compared to the approach of modern-day FFs.

DQ8 was AMAZING. A solid RPG in every aspect of the word. And the art style really worked well for it. My only beef was the silent hero.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Personally I had never heard of Enix up until the merger (but that's also because I had no access to information like I have now) so I can't vouch for what you say. What I can vouch for however was the superior quality of Square games. The fact that they used a different system for each game worked, and it made the game feel new and refreshing and just not a re-hash with a different plot. Final Fantasy XIII's level up system was good but it just wasn't enough to make up for all the other flaws of the game - and yes, I played it.

Final Fantasy X might just have been the last good Final Fantasy game, and personally things aren't looking up for SE.

Was looking for a good MMO as of late, but clearly, this isn't it. Might have to go back to WoW :/ Although Lego Universe looks rather promising.

Try "Tera".

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I feel like WoW is the safe MMORPG to play, its the MMO to play when you cant find anything else to waste time playing - which isnt bad but it doesnt say much about the game however it is good in its own right I guess.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Agreed. WoW isn't spectacular but it has an awesome lore and keeps you entertained.I always felt like FFXIV was going to be the definite FF MMO but I was wrong.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
SE is set on their Action/Wait/Turn-Based combat system hybrid but I think I speak for a lot of people on the Western side of the world when I say... Its complete shit.

Maybe Japan loves it or something but whoever their "crack" concept team is - they need to be fired.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
SE is set on their Action/Wait/Turn-Based combat system hybrid but I think I speak for a lot of people on the Western side of the world when I say... Its complete shit.

Maybe Japan loves it or something but whoever their "crack" concept team is - they need to be fired.

I would say everyone starting from the top at SE needs to be fired.

Adiuvo

The November update came out and the game is improved tremendously. New content, everything in the UI is smoothed out, everyone is getting massive FPS gains, skill points and experience is consistent now... it's awesome.