• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Final Fantasy XIV Discussion Thread

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Well not much hope for you there.

El Diablo

Every mmo has the same basic quests, and it's not even mmos it's any rpg in general with a "quests system" I don't really know what else you expect them to do other than get certain items, kill certain things, and go talk to other people. What other quests are there that don't revolve around those basic tasks. Plus I'm sure most people play mmos for their end game content and not actually going through the quests, and that's where most of the complex dynamic world comes from. Quests are just one of the ways to get there.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm no game designer but I think there's much more they could do. I don't mind how quests are initialized, it's the simple tasks that put me off from playing. All most MMOs do is require you to go from point A to B. There's no deviation inbetween.

Example scenario. Say you begin a quest and your group is tasked with getting rid of an enemy threat that is stationed inside a cave. While inside, it unexpectedly collapses, separating the entire team. This leaves you faced with the decision of reuniting with your teammates or going it alone. I've never seen an MMO do something like this. It's far more interesting than killing a bunch of monsters just to obtain an item, because you are actually relying on your teammates and one person can affect the final outcome.

Sinfulfate

I'm no game designer but I think there's much more they could do. I don't mind how quests are initialized, it's the simple tasks that put me off from playing. All most MMOs do is require you to go from point A to B. There's no deviation inbetween.

Example scenario. Say you begin a quest and your group is tasked with getting rid of an enemy threat that is stationed inside a cave. While inside, it unexpectedly collapses, separating the entire team. This leaves you faced with the decision of reuniting with your teammates or going it alone. I've never seen an MMO do something like this. It's far more interesting than killing a bunch of monsters just to obtain an item, because you are actually relying on your teammates and one person can affect the final outcome.
Well the problem with having lots of quests like that is that it would make all the quests instanced based which kills the whole persistence world thing. Also splitting up the team randomly sucks in mmos since a tank and healer are key in groups. If the game splits you up and the mage and say ranger are stuck together how are they going to kill mobs without a healer/tank?

Have you played many mmos to a high level? Because what your asking is for seems to be more complex quests which most mmos have but their for the higher levels. Its the low levels who usually have the simple go here kill 10 of these, find this guy, or go to this area and kill this one guy quests.

I'd like to see MMO's do more quests that affect everyone in the World. One of the greatest things about EQ 2 was that they have tons of quests like this. For example instead charging people for an expansion for new races in EQ2 they just added in free quest lines that would unlock the races for everyone on the server once someone completed them. Also I hope FF XIV has a dedicated pvp server. Open pvp is the best feature in a mmo imo.

Colm

Have you played many mmos to a high level? Because what your asking is for seems to be more complex quests which most mmos have but their for the higher levels. Its the low levels who usually have the simple go here kill 10 of these, find this guy, or go to this area and kill this one guy quests.

Yeah. Which means that I can't stand MMOs for too long. Complex questing should be a constant. Like, when you play an FPS, the game rewards you with better guns etc. but maintains a constant difficulty.

Sinfulfate

Yeah. Which means that I can't stand MMOs for too long. Complex questing should be a constant. Like, when you play an FPS, the game rewards you with better guns etc. but maintains a constant difficulty.

Well that could never happen since a game like EQ 2 has over 2000 quests. If they made each one of those or even just half of them complex then the game would still be in development right now lol.

Colm

Yeah, but most games aren't as long as EQ2. Perhaps a much smaller MMO with more focus on complex questing. Nothing to WoW or EQ's scale

El Diablo

I just think without putting a lot of time into mmos you can't really understand them or why they can't fill the game with those things.

Complex quests are nice every once in a while but you can't make a game out of them. If people are in a cave doing a quest and part of it falls trapping people inside and splitting up the group, then what does the next person or group of people do when they need to do this quest. The cave they need to go in has just been destroyed/blocked thus blocking them from doing the quest. Adding things in like that just don't work in an mmo world.

People play mmos for the...massive amount of people and multiplayer going on. When you start adding things in that separate the people, you lose the multiplayer aspect of the game and prevent people from playing together which contradicts the whole point of an mmo in the first place.

Recently Blizzard started using "phasing" in WoW and when certain players complete a certain quest or chain of them, then the world around them changes as a result. For instance if you're in one zone, and you completed the quest it would look like a full town to you, but if you didn't complete the quest it just looks like a bunch of run down empty buildings with no people around. People who didn't do the quest can't see the people who did do it or what they can see.

As much of an interesting concept it may be, it ruins the whole feel of an mmo when people can be in the exact same zone and spot and not being able to even see them let alone even interact with them.

I agree with Sinfulfate though that mmos should have more, much longer complex chain quests that when completed reward everyone. Like the AQ gate opening in WoW or the EQ event he mentioned.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems like I've been selected to Beta Test this. Nice :D

Adiuvo

!!!

I wasn't, which was disappointing. I'm planning on getting the game first day, but I still wanted to experiment with a few builds.

Play Thaumaturge for a bit Kezra, I want to know what it's like ;)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
!!!

I wasn't, which was disappointing. I'm planning on getting the game first day, but I still wanted to experiment with a few builds.

Play Thaumaturge for a bit Kezra, I want to know what it's like ;)

Seems like I can only sign up starting tomorrow... But I'll try to test eveything as I possibly can and if allowed I'll even make front page articles about my experience with the game.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

El Diablo

:(.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Downloading now...

Square should have chosen HTTP for downloading, P2P is a bad idea... I'm not going past 50kB/s when my connection can reach 800kB/s

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
yeah, I thought the same thing. it took me all day to download it with my speed rarely breaking 100kbs when my cap is over 1000kbs

I just tweaked my router as per instruction of a fellow countryman on the beta forums and rebooted to see if there are any changes...

Anyway, we're under an NDA so we can't talk much about ingame =\

Adiuvo

I'm surprised they're still doing that for the beta. Either way enough stuff leaks out. I assume you can talk about class balancing?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm surprised they're still doing that for the beta. Either way enough stuff leaks out. I assume you can talk about class balancing?

I have to read the NDA xD