• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Final Fantasy XIV Discussion Thread

El Diablo

I don't plan on playing it. Is this thread not a place to post your opinions of said game the thread is about?

january39

eXo Staff
I suppose, from installation to actual play as i see it.

Adiuvo

The opening scene was released. It's quite nice, especially the fight scenes.

[video=youtube;4Wq__ufk3f0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Wq__ufk3f0[/video]

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That's fine. Then don't play it. Those who like it will play it. Those who don't. Won't.

I played XI and it's battle system was the least of it's problems. The battles were fine. It was things like waiting hours to find parties, or endless amounts of walking etc etc.

Agreed.

I might get this for my PS3 because by then I hope things will have been ironed out, and hopefully I'll have a better idea of what to expect

Adiuvo

Well, the combat system isn't exactly fast. For example, as a Thaumaturge your most basic damage dealing spell is Banish. So you click it, wait about a second for casting time, cast it, then it has a 3 second cooldown. However during that cooldown time you can also use Shadow Dart, which is one of the attacks that has no wait/cast time. The downside is that it's really weak but it does allow chaining of attacks.

All through this the enemy is free to hit you. It's not really turn based in the sense that you make a move, the enemy make a moves, etc., it's more that some attacks have wait times while others don't.

Adiuvo

The standard edition was released today. Anyone else pick it up?

I also figured that this thread should be renamed, since it's pretty much just a general discussion thread now that beta is over.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I want to believe I can play this and enjoy it, but I have a feeling I cant. Im going to wait and give it some life and then maybe jump on the wagon

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
This game is getting ripped apart by the critics o.o

4.0 by Gamespot
4.x by Gametrailers.

Just ouch SE =|

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I think their last review of the Spongebob game got better remarks than that

Overall feeling is that it's an very unfinished game and that it's just boring. For a numbered FF game that's awful.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I tried playing the last version on FF's online and it was god awful. The server was completely empty, you immediately had to grind to play and there was little to no direction of what the point of it all was.

Im disappointed, but not surprised. SE hasnt successfully made a FF title that was globally renowned as "worthy" since FF9

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I tried playing the last version on FF's online and it was god awful. The server was completely empty, you immediately had to grind to play and there was little to no direction of what the point of it all was.

Im disappointed, but not surprised. SE has successfully made a FF title that was globally renowned as "worthy" since FF9

Don't you mean "hasn't made"? xD

But I agree. FFX was good but not great, and it's been downhill since then. Only game that made me rememeber why I used to love SE was Crisis Core, but only story-wise. Gameplay-wise it was a nothing more than a button masher. But oh god was it epic!

My experience with the beta of FFXIV was awful so I dropped it. And I hated the experince FFXI gave me. So maybe SE just not fit for MMOs?

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Don't you mean "hasn't made"? xD

But I agree. FFX was good but not great, and it's been downhill since then. Only game that made me rememeber why I used to love SE was Crisis Core, but only story-wise. Gameplay-wise it was a nothing more than a button masher. But oh god was it epic!

My experience with the beta of FFXIV was awful so I dropped it. And I hated the experince FFXI gave me. So maybe SE just not fit for MMOs?

Hah, yea, my mind WANTED to say it has because it dreams that it will xD

I also enjoyed Crisis Core, but only after one play through - after that you do realize how its nothing but making mashed potatoes.

SE lost me when they insisted on making ALL of their protagonists pussies.

Squaresoft was great for making heavy story RPG's, Enix was great for making unique carbon copy RPG's. Both together SEEM like a great combo but for some reason it completely fails and it sucks

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Hah, yea, my mind WANTED to say it has because it dreams that it will xD

I also enjoyed Crisis Core, but only after one play through - after that you do realize how its nothing but making mashed potatoes.

SE lost me when they insisted on making ALL of their protagonists pussies.

Squaresoft was great for making heavy story RPG's, Enix was great for making unique carbon copy RPG's. Both together SEEM like a great combo but for some reason it completely fails and it sucks

I was never fond of Enix anyways xD Ever since Sakaguchi left the FF series died. And curiously enough, ever since he left SE he hasn't been as successful.

However the Enix games retained their quality (I'm looking at you Star Ocean and Dragon Quest) and in some way got even better. Wtf D:

Makes you wonder how the company works on the inside.

And I agree on the wuss characters thing. Cloud was also a wuss but he had there was a badass thing to his style (even if it was mainly spikey hair xD)