• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Final Fantasy XIV Discussion Thread

Adiuvo

Open beta started up and I'm really impressed. The game is fluid except for the menus, the graphical design is brilliant, classes are well defined and don't multitask too much, etc.. The controls are the real killer for the beta though, since the menus are slow and the default keyboard and mouse controls have to be the worst I've seen in a game. Plugging in a controller solves the issue nicely but that really shouldn't be needed with a MMO.

january39

eXo Staff
Cool, signed up myself. Not had a play thru yet though

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Signed up and downloading the data now but it's taking aggggggess ;_;
Seems to use a p2p model for distributing the data so maybe it's just no one near me has it D:

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Seems to use a p2p model for distributing the data so maybe it's just no one near me has it D:

nah... it's a pain for eveyone.

but it used to be worse xD It took me a week to download it during the closed beta xD

january39

eXo Staff
Not started it yet, reckon i will leave it going while i go to work :)

Adiuvo

There's a few Megaupload links for the files floating around. Try and find one of them, it only takes like four hours when you use it.

Richlando

Game crashes for me after installing the client. *shrugs* Guess I'll just wait for the PS3 beta to start...on my #2 PS3 that is ;) First one is "retiring" yeah that.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Just played for about half an hour and hated it. Perhaps it'd be better with my 360 controller as suggested but honestly, I want my PC games with a mouse and keyboard.

Horribly optimised, uninteresting story and awful layout and input...definitely going to avoid it when it's released.

Adiuvo

Most of the optimization problems you're seeing (assuming it's the skipping) is actually lag. The lag is quite bad, which is to be expected considering open beta just started. While optimization isn't great, it seems passable considering the visual quality of the game.

As for the story, what city did you start in? I started in Girdania and it is indeed horrible.

El Diablo

I quit downloading it after leaving the stupid thing open for hours and only getting 10% done with the download. Fucking things is uploading at 100-200kbs and downloading at MAYBE 10 if I'm lucky. Not worth the time and trouble for a game I know I'm going to hate. Final Fantasy 11 with better graphics and still terrible slow combat. To each their own I guess.

Adiuvo

Man people, at least try it >_>

The combat isn't slow. It was in previous versions, but now it takes roughly two to three hits to kill an enemy if you're fighting one around your level. Mobs take around a minute. As for it downloading slow, stick the torrents into uTorrent and it'll go much faster, or use the MU files. You can find the torrents in the game's installation directory.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Most of the optimization problems you're seeing (assuming it's the skipping) is actually lag. The lag is quite bad, which is to be expected considering open beta just started. While optimization isn't great, it seems passable considering the visual quality of the game.

As for the story, what city did you start in? I started in Girdania and it is indeed horrible.

I started off in Ul'dah I think (the sand place) and there was no direction and nothing of interest. I went for my default first class and was a Hyur midlander gladiator. I always go for a sword mele

El Diablo

Is their torrent file not an actual .torrent you open? I can't seem to find it.

Adiuvo

Sorry, it's in the My Documents folder. The exact directory is 'Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads.'

january39

eXo Staff
I have it installed but when i double click the desktop icon, it just stops and displays 'the program has stopped working...'

I have opened up a port, the download installed OK, I'm stuck.

Followed the square enix Upnp guide and still nothing. any idea's?

El Diablo

I just really despise this combat system they have. It is so slow and unresponsive and boring. You just stand there and press a button and wait 3 seconds for them to actually do it, and keep doing that again and again. Other mmos you have plenty of abilities and are continuously using them and moving around where as this you just press it and stand around and wait for them to use it. I can't stand it and don't see how anyone finds it entertaining.

The game has amazing graphics but the game itself feels like shit to me, imo.

Adiuvo

They're continuing on from FFXI with regards to the combat system which focuses heavily on long term planning and buffs/debuffs/status effects. It's a thinking man's combat system, at least in the eyes of the fans.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
They're continuing on from FFXI with regards to the combat system which focuses heavily on long term planning and buffs/debuffs/status effects. It's a thinking man's combat system, at least in the eyes of the fans.

This pretty much.

At least it seems better than the closed beta. It was really bad.

El Diablo

I know it was supposed to be continued from FFXI but I think the entire system in general is terrible. In XI and in XIV. To me it doesn't feel like an actual mmo, it feels like a failed attempt at turn based combat like all of their RPGs in an online mmo environment.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
That's fine. Then don't play it. Those who like it will play it. Those who don't. Won't.

I played XI and it's battle system was the least of it's problems. The battles were fine. It was things like waiting hours to find parties, or endless amounts of walking etc etc.