• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Freeplay leaking an exploit that isn't his

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieulh

Developer
Yes so if you have a 5.70 psp go with mercury or if you have a psp-3000 on 3.51 or below and the mercury game (either in UMD format or from the playstation store) unpatched, then you are in luck.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yes so if you have a 5.70 psp go with mercury or if you have a psp-3000 on 3.51 or below and the mercury game (either in UMD format or from the playstation store) unpatched, then you are in luck.

I don't know if that is a good idea =\

Erland

Unfortunately I think Math is right on this one...

FP was given access to the server for a specific reason. If they accidentally gave him access to more then they wanted to he should have said so.

"Hey Faj I see that I can access C+D svn can i play with that stuff?"

This should have been simple.. Even if he didn't ask to play with it, he should have never released a video showing it.. Even if SONY saw a portion of the screen they could have figured out what game it was...

FP should have never said he was going to make a eloader with the exploit.

I don't know which came first him releasing it or it being fixed game/firmware.

If it was patched in firmware but, not in the game then he should never have released it.
If it was patched in game but, not in the firmware it still should not have been released.

If it was patch in both then I don't see the harm of releasing it but, with permission from the creator/group.

If he did not give any credit in his release to where it came from the he was wrong.

I cannot back FP on this one as it was not his to release period.

================================

On another note...

Now that it has been released. Can someone make a downgrader for PSP1000/2000 for 5.55 and lower?

Will there be a HEN created for 5.55 for TA088v3/PSP3000 with the kexploit/Mercury released by Math?

Just curious...

knyz

Don't forget that Sony didn't really patch the games mercury, just changed the boot of the game to the required firmware 6.20, you can buy it and replace the eboot.pbp by the old one.

But anyway, mercury is not a sony game, don't have any copyright about this product, they can't make any protections, only change the bootrun.

This is a good information for the people who have the firmware 6.10

Mathieulh

Developer
Unfortunately I think Math is right on this one...

FP was given access to the server for a specific reason. If they accidentally gave him access to more then they wanted to he should have said so.

"Hey Faj I see that I can access C+D svn can i play with that stuff?"

This should have been simple.. Even if he didn't ask to play with it, he should have never released a video showing it.. Even if SONY saw a portion of the screen they could have figured out what game it was...

FP should have never said he was going to make a eloader with the exploit.

I don't know which came first him releasing it or it being fixed game/firmware.

If it was patched in firmware but, not in the game then he should never have released it.
If it was patched in game but, not in the firmware it still should not have been released.

If it was patch in both then I don't see the harm of releasing it but, with permission from the creator/group.

If he did not give any credit in his release to where it came from the he was wrong.

I cannot back FP on this one as it was not his to release period.

================================

On another note...

Now that it has been released. Can someone make a downgrader for PSP1000/2000 for 5.55 and lower?

Will there be a HEN created for 5.55 for TA088v3/PSP3000 with the kexploit/Mercury released by Math?

Just curious...

The 6.20 firmware had a check on the game savedata but the game was not fixed.
Freeplay had no right whatsoever to use or release it anyway.

A downgrader up to 5.55 can be done with this exploit and the ifhandle one, so can a hen but as far as I am concerned I have absolutely no plan in working on one.

I would also want to add that should anyone use the mercury exploit or the ifhandle exploit, they should credit Prometheus for those. Thank you for your understanding.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
It's common practice to give keys to one's (Fixed) sibling, bud.

A server with hosted files automatically gives permission to anyone accessing it unless it has been encrypted. Which in this case, it wasn't. It's only stealing if he hacked into the server himself with unauthorized permission. He never claimed it was his anyway.

Your analogy of comparing this to giving house keys doesn't make sense, its totally different, bud.

Chaoskeeper56

Pineapple
It really just sounds like miscomumnication on both ends, and both ends got f'd in the A because of it :p

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
A server with hosted files automatically gives permission to anyone accessing it unless it has been encrypted. Which in this case, it wasn't. It's only stealing if he hacked into the server himself with unauthorized permission. He never claimed it was his anyway.

Your analogy of comparing this to giving house keys doesn't make sense, its totally different, bud.

You don't seem to understand this situation.

FreePlay was given access to a server for reasons other than the exploits. He sees the exploits, his first instinct should be to ask Fanjita about it, not to go out and release it. He shouldn't even release anything in there in the first place. It's PROTECTED, even if he has access to it, that doesn't mean he can go out and release things in it.

It would be one thing if he didn't say anything about it and just used it for his own stuff without bragging about it, but he released it to people who would not normally have access to it, which is not a good thing.

ON TOP OF THAT, Math told him not to, before he released it.

You people wonder why this scene has no trust..this is a SHINING example.

Nevada

Now perhaps i'll be labeled the devils advocate here, or something worse, whatever, i've no beef with freeplay or math, though i can't say i've been all that fond of freeplay these past few months because he just seems to be showboating for the newbs.

that said.

I think the squabbling is childish, he was given access, he abused it, is that his fault, or theirs for giving him this access?, or rather, not taking the time to limit this access, it doesn't matter what his intent was with the release, benefitting others or being the noob messiah, you're overlooking a simple fact here.

If this wasn't fanjita's svn, but rather Sonys, just how many of you would grab anything you can and make use of it?, isn't everyone in the homebrew scene in some way or another guilty of abusing something or someone?, take math and yoshi, they have their contacts within sony, and they exploit that contact where needed, would sony be happy about this?, no, was math happy about freeplay taking what isnt meant to be taken?, no.

This whole argument is a bigass pointless case of the pot calling the kettle black, run along people theres nothing new to see here.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Now perhaps i'll be labeled the devils advocate here, or something worse, whatever, i've no beef with freeplay or math, though i can't say i've been all that fond of freeplay these past few months because he just seems to be showboating for the newbs.

that said.

I think the squabbling is childish, he was given access, he abused it, is that his fault, or theirs for giving him this access?, or rather, not taking the time to limit this access, it doesn't matter what his intent was with the release, benefitting others or being the noob messiah, you're overlooking a simple fact here.

If this wasn't fanjita's svn, but rather Sonys, just how many of you would grab anything you can and make use of it?, isn't everyone in the homebrew scene in some way or another guilty of abusing something or someone?, take math and yoshi, they have their contacts within sony, and they exploit that contact where needed, would sony be happy about this?, no, was math happy about freeplay taking what isnt meant to be taken?, no.

This whole argument is a bigass pointless case of the pot calling the kettle black, run along people theres nothing new to see here.

Just because it being Sony's svn doesn't make it right. It's not like stole from someone like me's svn, who has contributed virtually no positive development, it was Prometheus, whom has contributed immensely, and he released something out of that was not his.

It's like the people (Or person) that leaked Wildcard.

stinky

this is funny. I would love to go to walmart and see some of you guys "shopping". After all, they let you walk right through the door. Obviously they will allow you to take whatever you want, and walk right back out! If they didnt, they should have said something.

Behind you guys 100% on your thoughts on this. Cant believe FP. Couldnt see the point of putting out a video in the first place to show it was possible, and NOT release it. Other than fame.

Basically he was saying "look what I found at Fanjita's house!. Except, he never really said where he got it. There were a lot of people crying fake on his vid in the first place. If he had of said he stole it from fanjitas server, I doubt anyone would have called it a fake, and skipped right to scammer

With any luck the talented coders will be upset enough to keep FP out of the loop. I know I haven't contributed anything to the scene, but it looks like FreePlay hasn't either!

mcqc

Don't forget that Sony didn't really patch the games mercury, just changed the boot of the game to the required firmware 6.20, you can buy it and replace the eboot.pbp by the old one.

But anyway, mercury is not a sony game, don't have any copyright about this product, they can't make any protections, only change the bootrun.

This is a good information for the people who have the firmware 6.10

hi, Im on 6.10 on my pspgo and I try to replace the Mercury's eboot by the old one but The game doesnt start "Corrupted data" I noticed the old eboot extension is .BIN and the one for the Playstation store is .PHP. Can someone explain me how to do it ? please
thanks guys

wally

Developer
I'm gunna remain in a Neutral state here, I think this is fucking outright over the top.

Why can't we get along in this Scene, its like a warzone here and everywhere.

If we can't have a stable community where everyone works together as a team, well then we might as well not have a community at all.

What I believe is this scene is all about credit and fame, you're not going to be internationally recognised by releasing an exploit. I never saw any "Sony has been fwarted again" articles in the newspapers but only on those PSP sites, those who want that little bit of fame might as well make a LUA app with one line of code that says WIP and release it on DCemu or QJ. Blah blah blah blah.

So whatever.

knyz

hi, Im on 6.10 on my pspgo and I try to replace the Mercury's eboot by the old one but The game doesnt start "Corrupted data" I noticed the old eboot extension is .BIN and the one for the Playstation store is .PHP. Can someone explain me how to do it ? please
thanks guys

I mean the Eboot.PBP not the Eboot.BIN.

The unpatched mercure doesn't require the firmware 6.20 to launch.

The old Eboot.PBP has exactly the same eboot.PBP has the new patched one, the difference is one line of code on bootrun (to force you to use a firmware 6.20)...

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
I don't see why this is all such a big deal.

Because it was taken and released out of something he was given access to, that he didn't write. Is it not common fucking sense not to release something that requires a password that you were given access to? Guess not.

If I give someone access to something to use for their own use, I'd be spittin' pissed if they released MY stuff, AFTER I told them not to.

"Yeah, you can use this"
"Oooh! Whats this!" *Makes youtube video*
"Don't release it"
"Well, it doesn't work anymore, so I'll release it anyway, after he told me not to"
"I told you not to"
"NO U!...blahblahblahbullshitinsertclevertypingbutnorelevance"

Status
Not open for further replies.