• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gears of War 3

Robby

Los Doyers!
So a developer copy of the game got leaked and you can play it if you have a jtag console.

Anyways, I would be careful about watching vids related to this game as there can be spoilers.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Let's try to keep this thread spoiler free. If you download it, please make another spoiler happy thread for it, just like we did for Gears 2.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I picked up the 4th book that also continues the story in between the 2nd and 3rd game and am about 100 pages deep.

I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the humans and Locust are going to team up to a certain degree to fight the Lambent.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I picked up the 4th book that also continues the story in between the 2nd and 3rd game and am about 100 pages deep.

I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the humans and Locust are going to team up to a certain degree to fight the Lambent.
That's something I've been thinking about too. The two sides team up to take on a even bigger enemy, but what will happen after said enemy is defeated? Can't wait for the game to wrap up the story. I'm more excited about learning about marcus's dad.

Zx30

Beto

Now THAT would be sweet and I never thought of that. Now I'm eager for Gears 3 more now :D

Robby

Los Doyers!
[video=youtube;ZbphZkgiFuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbphZkgiFuA[/video]

My favorite Gears of War map. I like how it has music in the game now.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I only watched half of it. That music wasn't in game was it?

I can't wait for this bitch to come out. One of these days I'll summarize the two books that cover what happens in between the end of the second game and this one.

Robby

Los Doyers!
The guy said it was in game. Yeah I'm super excited. Haven't played my xbox much lately due to lack of games but I'm counting down the days for this to drop. Unfortunately I gotta wait for Amazon to deliver it and I usually get it around 7pm with UPS.

I really want to read the books, probably gonna pick them up on my next paycheck.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
OK, so there's 3 or 4 days left to go before this drops depending on where you are in the world. I'm not sure if anyone wants to read the following, but here are some random bullet points about the Gears universe I garnered from reading all of the books. I'll also fill out the plot a bit on what's gone down since the second game ended.

Random facts in no particular order
  • Marcus and Anya are a couple
  • Hoffman is my favorite character. The dude is a bad bitch and is unlucky enough to be a grunt at heart but the only senior officer left.
  • Baird is the most talented engineer/scientist left on the planet
  • Dom's brother Carlos died in Marcus' arms while they were running interference while he and Hoffman were stealing the Hammer of Dawn technology from a rival nation in the Pendulum Wars.
  • Marcus and Carlos were best friends
  • Anya's mother died in the same diversion by taking herself out with a grenade to stop a mech unit
  • There has been no sign of traditional Locust since the end of the second game
  • There's a new character - Bernie Mataki - an islander lady who will most likely be playable in Gears 3. She is now Hoffman's girlfriend and is equally badass having killed and chopped the nuts off some Stranded who raped her.
  • Dom is the best trained and most talented of Delta squad
  • After sinking Jacinto, the survivors started to spend a hard Winter on a shore city and decided to pack up everything and look for a tropical island to colonize.
  • They got to the island and found survivors who had been untouched by the war.
  • An Independent Nation left over from the Pendulum Wars made itself known and joined the COG.
  • Their leader is a hard dude named Trescu.
  • As time past on the island, these tree stalk type things started appearing.
  • They then started shooting out crab like polyps that would run up to shit and explode.
  • Then the stalks evolved and started poisoning all of the land around them starting to choke out the farming.
  • Then they evolved more and started spitting out more evolved animals like dogs.
  • Cattle and farm animals were starting to become lambent.
  • The Hammer of Dawn is useless now since all of the satellites are in decay.
  • Hoffman stole a data disc from Prescott and gave it to Baird to decipher. He was unable to get past it's decryption.
  • A strange signal or "data burst" was being received by the COG and by Trescu's people. It was becoming more frequent as time passed.
  • Hoffman was going to overthrow Prescott, but Prescott decided to step down and left the island on a small boat with his personal guard, Lowe and Rivera.
  • Hoffman had the small boat be shadowed by the one remaining submarine left.
  • After the boat ran out of fuel, the sub emerged to find the boat empty.
  • Somehow Prescott got airlifted off the boat.
  • The data bursts stopped when Prescott left.
  • Shit then got real bad with the lambent. Like millions of those polyps overran the island.
  • Recon missions to the mainland showed that the lambent stalks were everywhere.
  • The COG decides that the best course of action is the split up into small groups for a better chance to survive.
  • The COG is disbanded and Hoffman and Mataki go to Anvil Gate, an old fortress up in the mountains.
  • Other groups go all over the coast.
  • With the COG now officially Stranded and no longer a government or nation, the real "Stranded" now outnumber the old COG.
  • Delta Squad remains on an aircraft carrier patrolling the waters as a first response team to any lambent attacks.

That's the tops of the trees in terms of what went down. That data burst was either coming from Adam Fenix or from the Locust.

18 months will pass before the end of the past book and the start of the 3rd game.

Edit - Based off the names of the Locust preorder skins, I assume that they too have disbanded to some degree and are living like Stranded as well.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Apparently there are plenty of Easter eggs in the game. Happy hunting all! Will see if I can get some time in to play later this week, really looking forward to SP

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
OK, so there's 3 or 4 days left to go before this drops depending on where you are in the world. I'm not sure if anyone wants to read the following, but here are some random bullet points about the Gears universe I garnered from reading all of the books. I'll also fill out the plot a bit on what's gone down since the second game ended.

18 months will pass before the end of the past book and the start of the 3rd game.

Edit - Based off the names of the Locust preorder skins, I assume that they too have disbanded to some degree and are living like Stranded as well.
how cannon are the books considered?

Sinfulfate

Very? I don't know how to answer that. It's one storyline between the books and games.

The game is fucking awesome btw. Plowed through the first four campaign acts last night.
Yup. I haven't had a chance to try out the SP yet, still waiting for a friend to get so we can do co-op but the new horde mode and beast mode are incredible.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I can't wait to try those modes. Campaign has been solid so far. Shit went down and continues to go down.

I'd like to do an Insane run with four players for another playthrough. I co-op'd the first three levels and then my friend dropped off for the night.

@Frozen - I just watched that ridiculously detailed dancing wretch Easter egg. I have no clue how stuff like that is found.

Joey

I get the mail all the time for the guy who lived in this apartment for me. Today, I recieved his pre-ordered copy of Gears of War 3, of which, he forgot to change the address on. So, I guess I have Gears of War 3 :D

About to crack it open right now.