• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Home

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
So I was going through my inbox, and came across an unread message from last month with a Home Closed Beta key....

Going to install it now and see if it still works.

Edit - The code worked. What a weird thing Home is to me. I made a character, bought some furniture and some clothes and watched bunch of people try to get out of the new Far Cry 2 space with some glitch near a tire. The glitch would then let you walk a few feet and then fall through the map....

Sullivan

Dr. Alien got the Home, it didn't say beta on it though.

I wish they would release a public release, but have it be buggy.
Update as time progresses.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thoughts on Home Abe? Is it just a wasted gimmick or do you see yourself actually using it? To me it seems like a 3D, interactive interface to scroll through game content that you would normally find (well should find) on the XMB or the NXE

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I just got invited this morning.
I've been looking forward to Home for a long time, but now that I've tried it out I'm a bit disappointing.

The entire city is pretty, and there's marketing videos and posters all over the place which actual look cool. But the actual 'gameplay' isn't very useful.
So far I've only found 5 places. The mall (where you can buy clothes), your apartment(your furniture), the arcade (with pool, bowling, and arcades), a theater(where more marketing videos get played), and the common area (like the town square that links all the areas). Once you've been there and done the main things in each area there's nothing else to do except talk to people.

I wanted to try out game launching, but none of my games are supported, and no one created any rooms for me to look inside.

So basically Home is a 3D IRC with some minor stuff on the side.
btw: Home is shareable now, so if you gameshare with somebody who has it, you can get it too

_Syn

I've had the Beta for three weeks right now, and I only played it for minutes. Not even hours yet. Less than 30 minutes. I think it lacks something, but I knew I shouldn't have expected much from what SCE's been doing with us lately.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
i only played for a few minutes too, and i don't really see any use for it.

i mean, you can already interact, play games, and talk to people from the xmb.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
FrozenIpaq said:
Thoughts on Home Abe?

It's beat.

Totally not my thing, but it might be fun for some of you guys. I have no interest in socializing or playing house with people I don't know, which as far as I can tell, is the only thing to be done here at the moment.

Maybe if I was with a group of friends it might be more tolerable, but when I get invited to a party on NXE and it's just a bunch of people talking and not playing anything, I'm the first one to leave.

I don't have much spare time, and I don't want to spend it walking around a virtual character who has some canned expressions and dance moves.

Like I said, beat.

twelve

I'm not dead
I wonder if it's only US PlayStation Underground members who are being sent access codes. Because I know for certain that I'm a member.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
twelve said:
I wonder if it's only US PlayStation Underground members who are being sent access codes. Because I know for certain that I'm a member.
Nope. I got my invite from my non-underground account(my Japanese account that I never use, except to see what they have in their store) so its still completely random.
z357x said:
do they distinguish that?
You got an email to link your accounts.

Vee

I think when its fully up and running, it should be something quite cool. Obviously 3rd Parties wont put in that much effort in making events and stuff. But i can see big "virtual" gatherings happening or press conferences. If they had a virtual E3, it would be brilliant.

twelve

I'm not dead
Sousanator said:
Nope. I got my invite from my non-underground account(my Japanese account that I never use, except to see what they have in their store) so its still completely random.
Not random at all. Sony are shutting down the underground program and "supposedly" sending an invite to every PS Underground member, however I havent received one.

Edit: nvm just checked my email. I got my invite :p
hippie said:
any official release date yet?
Officially from Sony it will be out in "at least" open beta by the end of the year, that's less than 6 weeks away, lets hope they can stick to it.