• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Just heard from Math that PSP executables can be signed now as well.

Alex

Just heard from Math that PSP executables can be signed now as well.

Looks like Sony removing linux support Blew up the scene into this!
Hacked ps3 and psp. Looks like someone is getting fired from sony. lol

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Looks like Sony removing linux support Blew up the scene into this!
Hacked ps3 and psp. Looks like someone is getting fired from sony. lol

Heads are so going to roll... LOTS of them.

angelsniper45

So any homebrew can be run on ANY PSP or PS3 regardless of firmware? Interesting.
I was amazed that the PS3 lasted so long without being cracked but when it eventually was, it was completely blown apart and is probably more open now than any of the competitors consoles. xD

It only took so long because of a lack of interest. ALL of this is backlash for removing otherOS, and frankly, they had it coming.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
It only took so long because of a lack of interest. ALL of this is backlash for removing otherOS, and frankly, they had it coming.

Sure they had... not.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What? Of course they did.

I still don't see why... They were protecting they own system, but apparently that's wrong. I don't get it... I understand why people are pissed, but they had a threat to deal with, and they did. To say they had it coming for protecting their system is plain ridiculous. Although in the end, it worked completely the opposite they intended xD

RedHate

I can has hax nao?
the thing is im sure you're all aware but i'll say it for those of you that arent:

there is no 100% secure! the idea is to deter people from doing bad stuff for as long as possible its hard to stop millions of people working in unison to defeat a small group of people. in my opinion sony did a very good job on it for a long time, since 2004 and its 2011 now.

All this could possibly mean for sony now is less software sales (sorry 3d party devs you guys get to get shit on) and more actual hardware sales (where sony really makes their money anyways) the burden of piracy will be displaced on to the developers and its a shame because some of them aren't as rich as everyone wants to imagine. I just hope that people who really like the games they are playing to go invest in a real copy to keep the companies they support alive... try before you buy sure, but buy a copy if you intend to keep it. even if its from a bargain bin... (if its even allowed to get to that point)

Dan

Contributor
Yeah I understand that point... It's kinda hard to explain. I respect them for getting rid of it (I've posted this many times in the past), however I think it was harsh them making an owner of a system choose between PSN access and OtherOS.

I actually don't know where I stand on this.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yeah I understand that point... It's kinda hard to explain. I respect them for getting rid of it (I've posted this many times in the past), however I think it was harsh them making an owner of a system choose between PSN access and OtherOS.

I actually don't know where I stand on this.

I can totally feel your confusion... I stand in the same place... Although I'm not mad over the OtherOS thing, I'm mad that they have a working PS2 emulator on the PS3 OFW but refuse to give it to us...

rileysnotz

they have a working PS2 emulator on the PS3 OFW but refuse to give it to us...

Damn I never knew this and I've had my ps3 for more than a year now. :))Note to self: Do some research) Now I'm irritated. I gave away my ps2 and shit load of games because I didn't want to keep swapping consoles. Would have loved to play those games.

I can totally feel your confusion... I stand in the same place... Although I'm not mad over the OtherOS thing, I'm mad that they have a working PS2 emulator on the PS3 OFW but refuse to give it to us...

That emulator won't work without an Emotion Engine, the PS2 CPU, which only launch PS3s included.

Coding an actual emulator to work on the CELL would be a larger undertaking.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
That emulator won't work without an Emotion Engine, the PS2 CPU, which only launch PS3s included.

Coding an actual emulator to work on the CELL would be a larger undertaking.

That's not what I was told by a reputed dev about a year ago o_O But you might be right

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I believe Sony stripped some of the PS2 hardware in earlier 80GB units to save on production costs, before removing backwards compatibility entirely. The emulator is likely for those units that use a combination of software + hardware emulation.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I doubt game sales are going to take a hit.

The xbox has been hacked for the longest time and you don't see game sales take a hit for the console, they still sell games and consoles.

angelsniper45

Im not mad about it either. I could care less really. I was just stating that there are plenty of people out there that are mad about it and there was going to be backlash.

Dan

Contributor
I doubt game sales are going to take a hit.

The xbox has been hacked for the longest time and you don't see game sales take a hit for the console, they still sell games and consoles.

Lots of people tend to have two 360s though; one for piracy and the other for online gameplay, merely because the consoles are much cheaper than the PS3. This will be a different story however, not everybody can afford two PS3's.

I'm actually really disappointed about this :/

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
To all of the above:

In my opinion, complete 1-console backwards capabilities should be an industry standard on the part of consumer happiness - just like it was "unofficially" for the last decade.

Not being able to play PS2 games on a PS3 is horrendous, as well, a wag of my finger goes to Microsoft for crippling their own BC by for some reason having to do them all individually (being able to BC a handful of games justifies nothing)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
a wag of my finger goes to Microsoft for crippling their own BC by for some reason having to do them all individually (being able to BC a handful of games justifies nothing)
Last time i checked, the 360 supported most original xbox games now