• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

MFM Health Thread

Joey

I'm 5'11', and 205lbs... My BMI is 28.7.

I can't believe I used to weigh over 300lbs. My BMI used to be about 42, lol.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
About the same for me.

17. And I weigh 114, 5 8'ish

I was probably 70's through all middle school. And progressed a little more.

I'm also 17(senior) and while my average high school lunch was a bag of chips + soda, i don't do that anymore.
-----------------------

No one else here knows how to cook ?

There are quite a few things that I can make that are healthy, and can be made in 25-30 minutes.

Joey

I'm also 17(senior) and while my average high school lunch was a bag of chips + soda, i don't do that anymore.
-----------------------

No one else here knows how to cook ?

There are quite a few things that I can make that are healthy, and can be made in 25-30 minutes.

I know how to cook, I'm just lazy.

Joey

lol, I find cooking quite fun sometimes.

I actually do too... Actually, I would cook more, but we don't usually have ingredients to make anything in the house. Like, right now I think we have frozen Chicken breasts, but nothing I can make for a side, like pasta.

Now that I think about it, my only problem with cooking is cleaning up. That shit sucks dong.

Slasher

Suck It
I've gone with out fast food for so long, that when I have it now, it physically makes me sick... So yes, please, suggest some alternatives. I need something that's good for you, but still pretty convenient like fast food. In other words, healthy food for cheap, lazy bastards.
Most fastfood places offer at least some sort of light alternatives. Like a little wrap or fajita or something like that. Those usually work well if you're looking for something small that probably won't make you feel sick afterwards. I personally try and go for grilled chicken burgers (w/out mayo) because they're pretty basic.

On another health note, if anybody has some tips on keeping my legs from getting tired when I run, I'd like to hear it. You see, I'm trying to run 5 out of 7 days in a week, and when I get to day 3-4, my legs just give out half way through the run, and I need to rest 2-3 days in a row before I get my endurance back. I don't know if it's a lack of vitamins, or what. If anybody can help me out with that, it'd be rad.

Are you doing any strength training as well as cardio? I would recommend doing some on your legs because cardio alone won't build up much (if any) muscle. Building up muscle in your legs really helps and you'll notice a hell of a difference in your running endurance. Another thing I would recommend is just doing some basic leg-based techniques, like for example do some stationary sitting both before and after you run. [Where you sit up against a wall like you're pretending to sit in a chair and hold it there for 30+ seconds]. Doing anything extra that is leg oriented will help with making your legs stronger.

~~~~

On a side note, I am really feeling my work out from yesterday. I guess it worked really well because my entire body is just aching (In a good muscle-building way of course :)), especially my mid section and upper body.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
hmm...i'm 6'1'' and 11stone6 ...
bmi of 21.1

i used to be anorexic though with a BMI of 18 back when i was about 15 or so....flip, was so long ago :\

Slasher

Suck It
hmm...i'm 6'1'' and 11stone6 ...
bmi of 21.1

i used to be anorexic though with a BMI of 18 back when i was about 15 or so....flip, was so long ago :\

352 lbs???

edit - Oh nevermind, you're about 160 or so lbs. The 'stone' system is something I've never seen before

Joey

Most fastfood places offer at least some sort of light alternatives. Like a little wrap or fajita or something like that. Those usually work well if you're looking for something small that probably won't make you feel sick afterwards. I personally try and go for grilled chicken burgers (w/out mayo) because they're pretty basic.
Yeah, but I can never order that stuff, because I still have the appitite of a guy who's 300lbs, so I have to order $10-$15 worth of that stuff to actually fill myself.

Are you doing any strength training as well as cardio? I would recommend doing some on your legs because cardio alone won't build up much (if any) muscle. Building up muscle in your legs really helps and you'll notice a hell of a difference in your running endurance. Another thing I would recommend is just doing some basic leg-based techniques, like for example do some stationary sitting both before and after you run. [Where you sit up against a wall like you're pretending to sit in a chair and hold it there for 30+ seconds]. Doing anything extra that is leg oriented will help with making your legs stronger.

I'm not sure if I want to build up muscle. I think the muscle is causing the problem. My legs are extremely muscular, and strong, but they just get tired. I think I need to cut down the mass a little bit, I just don't really know how.

Slasher

Suck It
Yeah, but I can never order that stuff, because I still have the appitite of a guy who's 300lbs, so I have to order $10-$15 worth of that stuff to actually fill myself.
Try fighting the urge? Try filling up on water, it works for me sometimes.

There's always subway and sandwhich joints like that, but you have to make sure you just order the regular looking subs, because eating an all out breaded chicken sub with bacon and mayo isn't exactly healthy. When it all comes down to it, just avoid fastfood altogether. It's possible.

I'm not sure if I want to build up muscle. I think the muscle is causing the problem. My legs are extremely muscular, and strong, but they just get tired. I think I need to cut down the mass a little bit, I just don't really know how.

Cutting down overall mass would obviously help by creating less strain on your legs. If you don't think building muscle in your legs is the way to go, then perhaps consider building some muscle in other areas of your body. Having more muscle - no matter where it is - helps burn more calories throughout the day and you'll lose more weight than just cardio alone. You'll even build up your strength at the same time which would likely hike up your endurance when it comes to running.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
Im around 5'8" and 10.5 stones. I'm gonna build up when summer comes (more free time).

right now i just do some basic exercise at home.

Adiuvo

Try fighting the urge? Try filling up on water, it works for me sometimes.

I'm in the same situation as Joey, where fast food makes me sick, and while water helps, it doesn't keep you full. What I do when we go to McDonalds is order a chicken burger, then strip off the breaded part of the chicken. If it's freshly made, it usually peels right off. After I do that, it won't make me feel sick, and usually fills me up with something to drink.

And for the sake of posting, I'm 6'1", and I weigh 180 pounds. I haven't been growing taller for the better part of a year now, though I have put on weight.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
352 lbs???

edit - Oh nevermind, you're about 160 or so lbs. The 'stone' system is something I've never seen before

It's a UK thing really...14pounds=1stone so...yea...idunno...just easier for me to think in that kinda concept rather than thinking 160pounds or 250 or whatever...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's a UK thing really...14pounds=1stone so...yea...idunno...just easier for me to think in that kinda concept rather than thinking 160pounds or 250 or whatever...

It's the same way with use and stones or grams/kg's. I hate using two different systems. I'm around 120lbs (that would be 8.5 stones about) and have a very high metabolism so I can eat all I want and not gain much - although I do work out. Although, I must say - I eat VERY unhealthy and it will probably bite me someday, although I'm surrounded by food that I don't exactly like but have no option to get anything else. I have a hamburger and fries for each meal (dinning hall, so bad fries, bad hamburger) and occasionally eat healthy foods. I have a high salt intake as well, which is bad - but I feel great ;)

Slasher

Suck It
I'm in the same situation as Joey, where fast food makes me sick, and while water helps, it doesn't keep you full. What I do when we go to McDonalds is order a chicken burger, then strip off the breaded part of the chicken. If it's freshly made, it usually peels right off. After I do that, it won't make me feel sick, and usually fills me up with something to drink.

McDonalds has grilled chicken burgers too, eh? Would probably be a better choice than peeling off the breaded part lol. It's the same thing I guess, but it doesn't allow whatever is in the breaded part to soak in.

Joey

Here's a question. If I just do aerobics (ie. running, bike riding, swimming) flatten my abs, or do I have to do crunches?

I don't want a six pack, I just want my stomach to be flat, and slightly toned to where it doesn't jiggle the moment I move. But, I hate crunches. Aerobics are fine for me, but crunches, and other ab exercises just kill my back, and it always takes a million reps to feel like you're doing anything.

Keep in mind, that I lost about 100 pounds, so my stomach is pretty fuckin' flabby. The rest of my body is pretty much where I want it, I just want to flatten my stomach.

Joey

Sleep on your stomach and don't eat after 8.

Seriously? Sleep on my stomach? I've never heard that one.

And I am gonna try the "not eating 3 hours before you sleep" thing. I can't do 8, since I goto work at 11 pm, lol.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM EST ----------

It's the same way with use and stones or grams/kg's. I hate using two different systems. I'm around 120lbs (that would be 8.5 stones about) and have a very high metabolism so I can eat all I want and not gain much - although I do work out. Although, I must say - I eat VERY unhealthy and it will probably bite me someday, although I'm surrounded by food that I don't exactly like but have no option to get anything else. I have a hamburger and fries for each meal (dinning hall, so bad fries, bad hamburger) and occasionally eat healthy foods. I have a high salt intake as well, which is bad - but I feel great ;)

120 lbs? Oh my god. I think I weighed that when I was 8.

DrLame

Ham Eater
Sullivan said:
Well as of right now, I can pretty much take in anything, I simply cannot gain a pound, and I am still in shape, I have a high stamina, etc. I also go dirt biking every weekend, that's pretty much my only work out every week.

I always pictured you being chubby for some reason o_O

%chrono trigger% said:
When working out drink a protein shake 15 minutes before and immediately after to maintain muscle and to give them fuel.

Make sure you don't consume too much protein. Smaller guys with smaller builds should stick to using a very very moderate amount.

Slasher said:
I'll post in here on the 15th of each month to update whoever's listening on my current progress.

It's almost the 15th =)

Joey said:
I've gone with out fast food for so long, that when I have it now, it physically makes me sick... So yes, please, suggest some alternatives. I need something that's good for you, but still pretty convenient like fast food. In other words, healthy food for cheap, lazy bastards...

...On another health note, if anybody has some tips on keeping my legs from getting tired when I run, I'd like to hear it. You see, I'm trying to run 5 out of 7 days in a week, and when I get to day 3-4, my legs just give out half way through the run, and I need to rest 2-3 days in a row before I get my endurance back. I don't know if it's a lack of vitamins, or what. If anybody can help me out with that, it'd be rad.

Sandwiches are an awesome good quick food. My wife's family always calls them cold cuts, lol... New Yorkers =P Anyway, get a few different fresh sliced meats from your local deli and some good hogie rolls. Make sure you've got some lettuce, tomato (if you're into that), cheese, banana peppers, and other toppings so you can make whatever you're in the mood for. Having 3 or so meats helps too for variety, if you eat it fast enough before it goes bad. It's also pretty cheap to stay stocked with. One of my favorites is to take a couple slices of ham and turkey and put it on the roll with some cheddar slices on top, then stick it in a little toaster oven until the cheese is melted and the roll is a little toasted. Then take it out, add lettuce, a little thousand island dressing, and some mustard and you have a sandwich of ultimate win. Granted, you could be eating healthier than that particular sandwich, but it's gotta be wayyyyy better on your body than a grease burger and fries from somewhere.
(And on a side note, my wife doesn't really understand the concept of going to subway... She's always like,"No! We can make sandwiches at home!" lol, she's probably right, but I still like to go now and then.)

You should really consider getting on a bicycle and alternating with running. That used to help me a lot, and it also tones your abs in. As far as just running goes, the thing I've learned is that if you want to get better you have to run till you think you're gonna die... then run some more... And make suuuuure you stretch out before and after running for at least 5 mins. Not just your legs, either. Start with your neck and then arms, and work your way down. If you stretch for 5 or 10 mins before and after that should help cut down on getting sore and lessen your recovery time. Also, sometimes when you're really sore the best thing you can do is stretch out and then run it out... obviously not running quite as hard as a 'normal' day tho. And after a month or so of a solid routine you should start to notice a difference in the distance and frequency you can run. When you get to the point of doing 2 miles in about 16 minutes you're definitely on the right track. It might take a little while though. When I first went to boot camp, my first timed run was like 25 minutes for 2 miles. Took 3 or 4 weeks to start getting solid 18 mins. The more I ran the more used to it I got, and now doing a 16 minute 2 miles is a slowish comfortable pace.

I hope it's something you keep up with. Exercise is good, heh. Best of luck =)