• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

MFM Health Thread

Joey

Everybody at the Gym is just as self conscious as you, that's why they're at the gym. They wouldn't be there if they were comfortable with their body.

Whisper

Logic :(
Eat a lot of healthy food, drink protein shakes, and get a membership to the nearest YMCA.

Muscle weighs more than fat.

Is a membership to the YMCA a good investment? I need a gym to go to during summer, since it will be way to hot to run or excise at home.

Joey

I've seen YMCA's that are little more than a day care, and a field, so like abe said, it depends.

Sullivan

Damn, I am really lucky, my neighborhood has a nice gym. I used it a few times, i could easily lift 20lb dumbbells the last time I was there, and bench like 160.

Slasher

Suck It
Damn, I am really lucky, my neighborhood has a nice gym. I used it a few times, i could easily lift 20lb dumbbells the last time I was there, and bench like 160.

Wow that's pretty weak. You should go there more often and work on gaining some muscle.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Wow that's pretty weak. You should go there more often and work on gaining some muscle.

Not necessarily. The best way I've always judged someone's strength for a straight bench is by doing it against their body weight. If you can't bench what you weigh, you've got a lot of work to do.

Slasher

Suck It
Not necessarily. The best way I've always judged someone's strength for a straight bench is by doing it against their body weight. If you can't bench what you weigh, you've got a lot of work to do.

I know that, I'm just teasing him.

I haven't benched in a while. I have some weights downstairs but I don't think there's enough to handle my max bench. I'll head down there right now actually and see what I can do.

EDIT: I had a hell of a time lifting 180. Guess I have a lot of work to do!

Sullivan

Oh, by the way, my gym, the bench press thing, its not like any ordinary one.

Its where you take a pin and put it in the weight thing, and then you are in a diagonal position, and you press outward. Its much easier then the tradition bench press set up. And there is no 60-80lb bar.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Oh, by the way, my gym, the bench press thing, its not like any ordinary one.

Its where you take a pin and put it in the weight thing, and then you are in a diagonal position, and you press outward. Its much easier then the tradition bench press set up. And there is no 60-80lb bar.

Dude, there is nothing special about a machine. Any gym in the country you walk into will have incline and decline machines. Seriously kid, stop explaining ordinary events and objects you come into contact with as being uber special. You do it often and it's annoying to read and one of the reasons people get on your case.

You want to use free weights to gain strength instead of a machine because they also work your stabilizing muscles when doing work. Ideally you would be benching with dumbells to fire up your chest.

Sullivan

I am just saying, in reality, I am not lifting 160 lbs, compared to others 160 pounds.

Like slasher was probably doing 240+.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I am just saying, in reality, I am not lifting 160 lbs, compared to others 160 pounds.

Like slasher was probably doing 240+.

What?

People take into account the bar weight 100% of the time when answering how much they've benched.

If your machine said 160, you were lifting 160.

Slasher probably has a 45 pound bar if I had to guess.

Sullivan

So if he said he was lifting 180, i thought that's the weight that he put on. So I am thinking 180+your 45 guess= 225. Or around there... anyways.

Slasher

Suck It
The machine that Sulli was talking about is actually I think much easier than a regular bench press. With the pulleys, I think the weight is actually reduced. I could probably do 220+ on that machine.

And yep Abe is right. I put 70lbs on each side (140lbs total worth of weights), then taking into account the weight of the bar which is 35lbs I think. That's why I said 180lbs ballpark.

Whisper

Logic :(
As of today I am around 183 and am running a 7:58 mile. Nearly 45 seconds off my time from a month ago. I'm running at least a mile each night and I'm continuing to see results.

I feel better and more energetic. In a few weeks I'm getting a membership to a gym.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I feel fucking terrible. Im happy though, because what the doctor initially thought was mono and/or strep throat, turned out to be low blood platelet count or something. I dont know if thats a good thing, but its not contagious, and I dont have to wait to get better in order to kiss my gf now hahaha :D

Joey

I feel fucking terrible. Im happy though, because what the doctor initially thought was mono and/or strep throat, turned out to be low blood platelet count or something. I dont know if thats a good thing, but its not contagious, and I dont have to wait to get better in order to kiss my gf now hahaha :D

You don't know if it's a good thing? Does that sound good to you?

Leecher

I have a question:

I drink about 2 cans of soda everyday. I realize that soda is not the best choice for a daily beverage, but it is very refreshing to me. Anyways, is drinking two cans of soda everyday unhealthy? My main concern is that I will suffer from kidney stones, which bring intense pain, if you know what I mean.

Joey

I have a question:

I drink about 2 cans of soda everyday. I realize that soda is not the best choice for a daily beverage, but it is very refreshing to me. Anyways, is drinking two cans of soda everyday unhealthy? My main concern is that I will suffer from kidney stones, which bring intense pain, if you know what I mean.

Extremely unhealthly. Soda is pure sugar. Two cans are 400 calories alone.

Seriously, drink some tea, or water. Just don't drink soda.

Slasher

Suck It
You could always try going for the diet pop stuff since those usually have 0 calories.

Personally, if I ever really want pop then I just drink Coke Zero. It's kinda close to the real thing.