• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3.60 M33 Install Guide for PSP Slim and Lite

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Here is a step by step guide for installing custom firmware 3.60 M33 on the PSP Slim and Lite. You cannot install this 3.60 M33 release on older PSP units, it is only for the Slim model.

Prerequisites
Pandora's Battery
Memory Stick PRO DUO with Pandora files

Note: If you don't have either yet, then follow the guide for converting a battery to Pandora and installing the memory stick files. It requires a homebrew-capable regular PSP. There is also an easy installer available courtesy of XsavioR.

Files:
3.60 M33 Install Files

Install Guide

Before you begin: The following steps must be executed on a homebrew-capable regular PSP with a regular battery inserted. The inserted memory stick must contain the Pandora files, as noted in the prerequisites section above .

1. Extract the 3.60 M33 Install Files ZIP

2. Copy firmwares 3.40 and 3.50 to the pandora_silm directory, with the names 340.PBP and 350.PBP

3. Copy both pandora_slim and pandora_slim% folders to X:/PSP/GAME150 on the memory stick.

4. Navigate to the Game menu on the PSP and execute the 3.60 M33 installer. The program will overwrite some files on the memory stick, making it compatible with the PSP Slim and Lite.

The next steps: If you've followed the guide thus far, you have all the necessary files to install 3.60 M33 on the PSP Slim and Lite. Insert the Pandora's Battery into the PSP Slim as well as the memory stick with the new files.

5. Boot the PSP Slim. It should boot to a black screen, but no worries :)

You have three options here -

Press X to install M33. The process will last just few seconds, since the installer only
needs to install the M33 custom PRX files and IPL. Once finished, the installer will shutdown the PSP automatically.

Press L+R+triangle to uninstall M33 and go back to original 3.60. Note: this can't unbrick a PSP Slim, it will just remove M33 IPL. There is currently no unbricker for the PSP Slim, but we plan on doing one in the future. After uninstalling, PSP will be shutdown automatically.

Press Square to dump the PSP Slim NAND. Watch out: you need 66 MB of free space in the memory stick for this, otherwise your memory stick may end corrupted. When finished, the orange memory stick LED will stop blinking. From here you can either shut down the PSP or choose a different option.

6. If you chose to press X and install 3.60 M33 then you're finished :) Boot up the PSP and enjoy the benefits of custom firmware!

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Works great! I've got 3.60 M33 running on my Ice Silver right now. :)

One hint - watch the WLAN light on the bottom left. It is on when all this is working. It goes off when the PSP is off (after installing). This is important as you don't have any screen display while this is going on.

supaquickt

One question, If I choose to first Press [] and back up my NAND what happens after this, does the PSP shutdown and than I re-follow the steps and than press X or after the backup does it refer back to the the 'menu' and I simply press X?

Hope I worded that right I think you'll get what I'm on about. Thanks.

EDIT: As a side, so pretty much all Sony did was stop the menu appearing on the screen? Seems like an ultra quick fix ha.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
One question, If I choose to first Press [] and back up my NAND what happens after this, does the PSP shutdown and than I re-follow the steps and than press X or after the backup does it refer back to the the 'menu' and I simply press X?

Hope I worded that right I think you'll get what I'm on about. Thanks.

The orange memory stick LED will stop blinking then you can either shut down the PSP or choose a different option. Added this to guide btw, thanks.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Sony uses a new LCD module. While the one in the TA-086 was mostly compatible (you only had the brightness bug), the one in the Slim is not compatible at all. So you don't get any display until it can use the 3.60 display libs. I imagine when Sony puts out a 3.61 or whatever update for the Slim, M33 will go back and have their app extract the display libs from it to use during install. It's only right this moment when the only 3.60 out is in the NAND of the PSP Slim that we can't get a display lib that works on the Slim.

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Thanks for the explanation. The only other question I have is can this firmware be blocked by firmware updates?

No. The service mode triggered by the battery is lower level than that. They can't block this without changing the hardware. Maybe the next hardware revision of the PSP won't work with the batteries, but until then, there's nothing they can do in the firmware that service mode can't bypass.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
after i run the app on my psp, can i still use it as an original pandora battery to downgrade old PSPs? or is the pandora battery "slim-compatible-only"?

The battery itself stays the same. However, the memory stick files are changed and cannot be used with a regular PSP.

So to the memory stick back to normal you'll have to format it and then install back the old files.

nice_VIBE84

is any one else having trouble creating the pandoras battery. I am using my original battery that came with my psp. i got my psp less tehn a month after it came out so i can do just about anyhting to it except the pandora will not work. any ideas

Chilly Willy

Contributor
If it's a third-party battery, it might not work. Original Sony batteries should work fine. My guess if you're not doing something correctly. Print the guide(s) out and cross off each step as you do it. That way you don't skip a step or do them out of order.

Lord_Duarte

2 batteries??

Do I need 2 batteries and 2 memory sticks?? or can i just instal the 3.60 m33 fw and make them get back to normal??

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Chilly Willy

Contributor
Well, 1 battery and two memsticks if you wish to keep a stick for phat and one for slim. That's what I have - one battery left as pandora, one stick with the regular pandora stuff to take care of the phat psp, and another stick set for the slim.

Acerthief

The battery itself stays the same. However, the memory stick files are changed and cannot be used with a regular PSP.

So to the memory stick back to normal you'll have to format it and then install back the old files.

okay thanks. but a real bummer, now i need to look for another memory stick.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Well, 1 battery and two memsticks if you wish to keep a stick for phat and one for slim. That's what I have - one battery left as pandora, one stick with the regular pandora stuff to take care of the phat psp, and another stick set for the slim.

Yep, same here.

Acerthief

of course, it runs like a normal batter except it changes the ipl and some info to let the system boot with a memory stick. besides that it's just like a normal battery.
so when you're not using it, i'd perfer charging it in case you need it all of a sudden. :)

Chilly Willy

Contributor
of course, it runs like a normal batter except it changes the ipl and some info to let the system boot with a memory stick. besides that it's just like a normal battery.
so when you're not using it, i'd perfer charging it in case you need it all of a sudden. :)

Yep. You can get external chargers for PSP batteries from places like WalMart. From reports, the Pandora stuff looks for at least a 50% charge on the battery.