• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

3.60 M33 Install Guide for PSP Slim and Lite

JasonBrunelle

Theoretically you could do this with only a slim available?

Can someone clear 2 things up for me, or maybe let me know if I'm actually right?

The only real feature missing from the PSP slim and lite is that the screen is not compatible with firmware version 2.xx and lower, right?

If that is the case, couldn't you do the following?
1) Use a regular Pandora battery with magick stick to downgrade the PSP Slim and Lite to version 1.50 (I've looked eBay and people seem to think this downgrade works on the slim, even though perhaps the screen doesn't work.)
2) Modify the magick stick (or use a new one), putting the 3.60 installer, and 3.40 and 3.50 firmwares etc on it, as listed in instructions.
3) Insert these into your PSP Slim and Lite
4) Turn it on, wait for bootup, enter in the right combination of button presses to make it run the 3.60 installer program, even though you will have no picture on the screen (but it will still actually successfully run the program.)
5) Wait perhaps more time than strictly necessary for it to finish running the program, just to be safe.
6) Turn off PSP slim and lite, put in the pandora battery and turn back on, following the rest of the guide as stated.

If this is correct, all we need is for someone to
1) Give an approximation of how long it takes to load up the PSP slim and lite in order to run the application.
2) Tell us the EXACT sequence of button presses in order to run the installer.
3) Tell us how long it takes for the installer to run.
4) That's about it.
right?

My next question is...

Wouldn't the modified Pandora Battery with Magick card described in the instructions effectively unbrick a bricked PSP Slim and Lite? A bricked PSP is one where the firmware never fully flashed so now it can't boot up, right? The Pandora Battery with Magick card rewrites the firmware, right? So it effectively unbricks a PSP, just not with the original firmware.

Can someone tell me if I'm right or if not why I'm wrong?

Thanks all!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Can someone clear 2 things up for me, or maybe let me know if I'm actually right?

The only real feature missing from the PSP slim and lite is that the screen is not compatible with firmware version 2.xx and lower, right?

If that is the case, couldn't you do the following?
1) Use a regular Pandora battery with magick stick to downgrade the PSP Slim and Lite to version 1.50 (I've looked eBay and people seem to think this downgrade works on the slim, even though perhaps the screen doesn't work.)
2) Modify the magick stick (or use a new one), putting the 3.60 installer, and 3.40 and 3.50 firmwares etc on it, as listed in instructions.
3) Insert these into your PSP Slim and Lite
4) Turn it on, wait for bootup, enter in the right combination of button presses to make it run the 3.60 installer program, even though you will have no picture on the screen (but it will still actually successfully run the program.)
5) Wait perhaps more time than strictly necessary for it to finish running the program, just to be safe.
6) Turn off PSP slim and lite, put in the pandora battery and turn back on, following the rest of the guide as stated.

If this is correct, all we need is for someone to
1) Give an approximation of how long it takes to load up the PSP slim and lite in order to run the application.
2) Tell us the EXACT sequence of button presses in order to run the installer.
3) Tell us how long it takes for the installer to run.
4) That's about it.
right?

My next question is...

Wouldn't the modified Pandora Battery with Magick card described in the instructions effectively unbrick a bricked PSP Slim and Lite? A bricked PSP is one where the firmware never fully flashed so now it can't boot up, right? The Pandora Battery with Magick card rewrites the firmware, right? So it effectively unbricks a PSP, just not with the original firmware.

Can someone tell me if I'm right or if not why I'm wrong?

Thanks all!

You are right the display driver isn't compatible, but still firmware 1.50 won't even boot on the Slim (probably due to added Sony protections). The good news is that D_A is planning to release an unbricker for the Slim, which will do as you suggested, but instead install 3.71 M33 instead of 1.50.

... and it is released now: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=3739

gargoyle67

Couple of questions :confused1: , I take it that you need the sony original firmwares 3.40 and 3.50 ? Are they in the "3.60 M33 Install Files ZIP" or do I need to download them, and if so could you point me in the right direction. The other thing is do I need to install the custom firmwares in order to update the PSP or can I jump to the highest release ?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Couple of questions :confused1: , I take it that you need the sony original firmwares 3.40 and 3.50 ? Are they in the "3.60 M33 Install Files ZIP" or do I need to download them, and if so could you point me in the right direction. The other thing is do I need to install the custom firmwares in order to update the PSP or can I jump to the highest release ?

No, the 3.40 and 3.50 updates are linked in the first post.

As for your other question, if you want to install 3.71 M33 on a Slim then yes you'll first need to update to 3.60 M33.

supaquickt

Quick question, I chose to backup my nand but can't seem to find this on my memstick anywhere (lights flashed etc). Can anyone tell me the dumps file name. Thanks.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Quick question, I chose to backup my nand but can't seem to find this on my memstick anywhere (lights flashed etc). Can anyone tell me the dumps file name. Thanks.

Should show up on the memory stick root under the file name "nand-dump.bin"

supaquickt

Strange its not there, I'm wondering if I copied it to my pc and forgot about it. I have a few nand-dump.bin files from other PSP's on my PC. Is there anyway I can check that a file is for my 3.60 Slim?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Strange its not there, I'm wondering if I copied it to my pc and forgot about it. I have a few nand-dump.bin files from other PSP's on my PC. Is there anyway I can check that a file is for my 3.60 Slim?

Yeah, nand-dump.bin of the Slim should be 66MB. Phat is 33MB.

supaquickt

True, shoulda realised that.. Anyway no file of that size on mem stick or PC. Really strange I definitely backed it up as I waited for the lights etc than after that I installed 3.6 M33, I don't think I was ignorant enough to simply delete it off the mem stick. Really strange. Oh well I guess I don't have a backup not hugely important with pandora out now though I guess.

Crono254

I got some questions.
What files are originally on a brand new PRO DUO mem stick?
When you format the mem.stick and install the pandora's files on it,
will you be able to back it up to its original state, so it is usable on the psp for games\movies etc, after installing custom firmware?
I plan on using my only mem.stick (8gb) to do the downgrading pandora process, however i still want to use it for my psp storage afterwards.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I got some questions.
What files are originally on a brand new PRO DUO mem stick?
When you format the mem.stick and install the pandora's files on it,
will you be able to back it up to its original state, so it is usable on the psp for games\movies etc, after installing custom firmware?
I plan on using my only mem.stick (8gb) to do the downgrading pandora process, however i still want to use it for my psp storage afterwards.

on a brand new stick? Should be no files. You can still use the memory stick normally after installing Pandora files to it.

Crono254

my friend is considering letting me use his memory stick for the pandora process.
he has many games and things on his stick. Do i HAVE to format the stick in order to do this?
will it in anyway mess his files up?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
my friend is considering letting me use his memory stick for the pandora process.
he has many games and things on his stick. Do i HAVE to format the stick in order to do this?
will it in anyway mess his files up?

Yes you need to format the stick. It will delete all files so back everything up then when you are done just copy them back.

Crono254

once i finish installing the custom firmware. do i need to format the mem.stick with pandora files or will it work no problem normally if i dont? can't i just delete the pandora files once im done installing the c.firmware while keeping the other files?
After installation, does the psp automatically boot from the mem.stick using a normal battery or does it boot from its hardware? just wondering if the whole firmware would be gone if i were to format the stick.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
once i finish installing the custom firmware. do i need to format the mem.stick with pandora files or will it work no problem normally if i dont? can't i just delete the pandora files once im done installing the c.firmware while keeping the other files?
After installation, does the psp automatically boot from the mem.stick using a normal battery or does it boot from its hardware? just wondering if the whole firmware would be gone if i were to format the stick.

The PSP will only boot from the memory stick if a Pandora battery is inserted. You need to format the memory stick with mspformat before installing the Pandora files because it places the IPL on a certain sector of the memory stick.

zoinx

Hello all,

I guess this question has been already asked hundred of times and I apologize for that but please let me ask it nevertheless :)

I'm the happy owner of a PSP Slim running the official 3.60 firmware and I want to flash it to 3.60M33 but is there any way to build the magic memory stick & Pandora battery without a homebrew capable regular PSP ?

For example is there a way for anybody to create a raw image of a magic memory stick using dd for example and share it to others?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Acerthief

Natch, there isn't.
(Actually there is but it's illegal)
there IS a way, to look for people in the forums of noobz.eu, there's a thread with people willing to help you convert your batteries and memory, with a small fee maybe.
Also you'll need a phat PSP battery in order to work.

the image method doesn't work as the memory stick needs to be formatted logically before certain files are written.

Data1880

Problem --

Ok I already have the pandora battery and memory stick but the problem is that my psp wont turn on (and no it is not bricked) so is there ANY any any a-n-y way of doing this without a regular psp? and does the phat battery really fit into the slim psp? doesnt that have a different sized battery...:confused1: