• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Home

Dan

Contributor
Could they not have like multiple "worlds" judging from your PSN details to make the game less crowded? ( If it gets more players )

For example; If you live in England it would automatically log you in to "World 1".

twelve

I'm not dead
Its just, right now, technology really isn't advanced enough to pull off what they want. Its a shame.
MMO games aren't full of loading screens. Technology is definitely advanced enough to work

Here's what Sony need to do (if Home ever gets out of Beta):
1. Charge for Home for the few people that actually want to use it (do a first month free thing like MMOs)
2. Make content in Home free due to the fact you pay to use it.
3. Make Qore free due to the fact people pay for Home.
4. Setup dedicated servers for Home so that it works reliably and seemlessly (paid for by the users).
5. Put the features into Home that were promised.
6. Advertise the crap out of it along with a Price drop of the console.

Maybe then I wont have this bitter taste in my mouth everytime I think of Home.

Moose

Meta Moose
Sony's PS3 virtual world, Home, has already been hacked, with developers having discovered ways to exploit vulnerabilities within the software's code.

According to reports in the Telegraph this week, the hack allowed the developers "to customise their PlayStation Home experience beyond the options provided by Sony."

The report continues: "One hack uses a combination of the Apache web server and DNS re-direction to allow users of PlayStation Home to watch their own movies on display screens within the game, and change text and music to whatever they choose.

"A second hack enables players to download any file they want from PlayStation Home's servers, such as a fellow user's profile or avatar, the cartoon-like representation of themselves they create to appear in the virtual world."

Worrying security loophole

Most worryingly, the report adds that the developers found a "security loophole" that allows them to upload or delete any file to or from the Home server, which means that it is potentially an option for hackers to spread viruses through Home.

"There's speculation that Sony may legitimately open the Home platform to third-party developers to build and create additional features for the online universe," adds the report.

By Adam Hartley

Vee

Could they not have like multiple "worlds" judging from your PSN details to make the game less crowded? ( If it gets more players )

For example; If you live in England it would automatically log you in to "World 1".
It already does that, alot. As in, me and my friend live relatively close. Yet it logged us into completely different servers for the Home Square.
No, its backwards. It's a digital shit heap.
Uhh..why?
MMO games aren't full of loading screens. Technology is definitely advanced enough to work

Here's what Sony need to do (if Home ever gets out of Beta):
1. Charge for Home for the few people that actually want to use it (do a first month free thing like MMOs)
2. Make content in Home free due to the fact you pay to use it.
3. Make Qore free due to the fact people pay for Home.
4. Setup dedicated servers for Home so that it works reliably and seemlessly (paid for by the users).
5. Put the features into Home that were promised.
6. Advertise the crap out of it along with a Price drop of the console.

Maybe then I wont have this bitter taste in my mouth everytime I think of Home.
Are MMO's in high definition, with the kind of graphics that Home has and TV screens and music being played everywhere? I've only seen WoW and that doesn't compare at all.

I think charging for Home would be an awful move. I'm sure everyone would prefer having access to it, then paying for something if they wanted it. That way, you'd actually be able to use the PSN features. Such as launching into a game. I agree totally with (4) and (5). But i dont think it should be advertised and Qore should just be made free. Home wont sell PS3's, games will. I'd rather see new game adverts then Home ones. As for Qore, thats the worst excuse of a rip off ever. I tried out the free one that came out a few weeks ago and realised just how bad it was. I honestly have no idea why people pay to see an reporter run round and act like she cares about games. The only useful thing i see is Beta's. Sony have just released Pulse and after them seeing the huge numbers of downloads they'll get, its going to be very hard for them to carry on selling Qore. I think it'll be made free, or cancelled.

Sinfulfate

Are MMO's in high definition, with the kind of graphics that Home has and TV screens and music being played everywhere? I've only seen WoW and that doesn't compare at all.
Yes all MMOs can be ran in high definition. WoW is one of the worst looking MMOrpgs out so I wouldn't use that as an example. Look at Everquest 2, that game was released in 04(like WoW) and looks way better than Home does with less texture pop in to boot. There aren't any tvs or music being played anywhere in EQ 2(obviously since these things didn't exist in that setting) but I'm pretty sure that EQ2 is far more technologically superior than Home.

I think charging for Home would be an awful move. I'm sure everyone would prefer having access to it, then paying for something if they wanted it. That way, you'd actually be able to use the PSN features. Such as launching into a game. I agree totally with (4) and (5). But i dont think it should be advertised and Qore should just be made free. Home wont sell PS3's, games will. I'd rather see new game adverts then Home ones. As for Qore, thats the worst excuse of a rip off ever. I tried out the free one that came out a few weeks ago and realised just how bad it was. I honestly have no idea why people pay to see an reporter run round and act like she cares about games. The only useful thing i see is Beta's. Sony have just released Pulse and after them seeing the huge numbers of downloads they'll get, its going to be very hard for them to carry on selling Qore. I think it'll be made free, or cancelled.
Ya I agree making Home cost would be just as stupid as charging for PSN. No one in there right mind would pay money for a crappy service which is the very reason why Home and PSN are free and more likely will always be free.

Home is just yet another one of Sony's band-aid fixes to their horrible online setup. They really need to just fix the underlining problems with PSN instead of trying to cover them up with stuff like in game xmb and Home. Sony is so far behind in the online arena that even Nintendo is starting to pass them. Nintendo has already added mic support and even added voice messaging between friends(which Sony has still yet to do). All Nintendo has to do now is get rid of friend codes and Nintendo will be on there way of surpassing Sony in the online arena.

twelve

I'm not dead
Ya I agree making Home cost would be just as stupid as charging for PSN. No one in there right mind would pay money for a crappy service which is the very reason why Home and PSN are free and more likely will always be free.

I agree. No one would pay for it because now that they've seen it no one wants it.

Home wont sell PS3's, games will.
Then why are Sony gambling on Home as the next big thing for the PS3. If we all agree that it wont sell PS3's then I think we can all join hands and congratulate Sony for wasting two years and god knows how much money on a failure.

WoW is 4 years old. Try WAR, LOTRO or AoC.

And yes all MMOs can be played beyond High Definition. Most Widescreen monitors support at least 1440x900, this exceeds 720p.

Music is part of every game, if you think it's being streamed in Home then you're delusional.

Video content is hardly streamed in Home, you go into a Movie theatre and watch it download the entire thing before it plays. Same with all the other billboards, they don't start downloading and stream while the rest downloads. It downloads the entire thing before playback starts.

CASHMON3Y

This thing was announced in January of 2007, and this is all they could fucking come up with in all that time?

Is Sony even trying anymore? They're just going to ride this thing into the ground, aren't they?

Sony, cut the fucking bullshit, finish your XMB (universal voice chat, and universal game invites), and get out some fucking games already...
Lets face it. Sony REALLY failed on this console. It seems like they dont even care anymore.

Sullivan

I really don't think they failed on the console, I think they just did a bad job in a few areas.

Adiuvo

After playing this for about two hours right now, I really enjoy it. Call me weird or whatever, but it's fun to get a running man or retro dance line going, or just talking to people. The little arcade games they give are neat, and entertain for a few minutes each. Chess with other people is great, and it's not that hard to set up tournaments.

There are a few issues that need to be worked out, like adding more trailers to the theatre, but otherwise I think Sony did a nice job.

Hellcat

Contributor
Seeing it as a "chat tool", an alternative to IRC for example, Adiuvo isn't that wrong about it, but they promised more.... and I'd really love to see them making more out of it, if would be worth it, maybe I could even be arsed to spend some real life $$$ on some furniture and other neat stuff....

But so far I think I'll stick to IRC :D

Maybe the one or the other wansering around, but that should be it for now....

Sullivan

I cannot leave my apartment! It says something about parental blockage.

I don't have a restriction on my PS3, its MINE, and when I signed up for a PSN account I said I was 18, so I don't understand why its restricting me...

Adiuvo

The parental control options. I had mine reset on me once about a year ago, after I made my brother a sub account.

Sinfulfate

Yeah. Especially with that crap MGS4. What a piece of shit

/sarcasm

Huh? Sony didn't make or publish MGS 4.

After playing this for about two hours right now, I really enjoy it. Call me weird or whatever, but it's fun to get a running man or retro dance line going, or just talking to people. The little arcade games they give are neat, and entertain for a few minutes each. Chess with other people is great, and it's not that hard to set up tournaments.
Why? I see a few people saying a similar thing but they never explain why. Why is getting a running man or retro dance line going fun? To me that seems like a waste of time since you could be running around liberty city with 15 of friends in GTA IV online free mode which(imo at least) is way more fun then all of what Home offers.