• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Install Custom XMB Themes Without Flashing

SnDPhoenix

Damn, I've installed cxmb v2 (correctly) and when i turn the plugin on, my xmb looks just like this: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8545/screen2ju1.png, I've tried deleteing and readding the folder to my memstick, turning the plugin off, and then back on, i also tried updating to 2.1, didnt work either. Now from what i've heard, it's because there are these 3 prx's you need to flash into flash0, only problem is im not exactly sure how to do it. I was looking through my recovery menu, and seen (under Advanced) the option "Toggle USB (flash0)" well if i connect my psp to the pc with a usb cable, and toggle that option on, would it allow me to copy and paste those 3 prx's into flash0 using windows explorer? Also, if i did that, what would the chances of me bricking my psp be, cause as everyone knows, the flash is a sensitive part of the psp....

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Damn, I've installed cxmb v2 (correctly) and when i turn the plugin on, my xmb looks just like this: http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8545/screen2ju1.png, I've tried deleteing and readding the folder to my memstick, turning the plugin off, and then back on, i also tried updating to 2.1, didnt work either. Now from what i've heard, it's because there are these 3 prx's you need to flash into flash0, only problem is im not exactly sure how to do it. I was looking through my recovery menu, and seen (under Advanced) the option "Toggle USB (flash0)" well if i connect my psp to the pc with a usb cable, and toggle that option on, would it allow me to copy and paste those 3 prx's into flash0 using windows explorer? Also, if i did that, what would the chances of me bricking my psp be, cause as everyone knows, the flash is a sensitive part of the psp....

Yeah, that's what you have to do. The chance of bricking is slim, just remember to back up any files you delete and / or replace. Now, you are running 3.52 M33 correct?

If so, go to your memory stick find the files in X:/cxmb/VSH/module

You'll want to save these files on your desktop.

Then, head into recovery mode and turn the toggle flash0 option on. Navigate to X:/vsh/nodule

and copy the PRX files you saved on your desktop. If it says you don't have enough space try deleting the files in X:/dic

SnDPhoenix

Hmm weird, i just toggled flash0 on, navigated to X:/vsh/nodule, and it turns out the prx files were already in there, wth? Am i supposed to overwrite those files with the prx files from cxmb, or is there something else that is wrong? And yes, i am using 3.52 M33-4.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hmm weird, i just toggled flash0 on, navigated to X:/vsh/nodule, and it turns out the prx files were already in there, wth? Am i supposed to overwrite those files with the prx files from cxmb, or is there something else that is wrong? And yes, i am using 3.52 M33-4.

Yeah you need to overwrite them.

SnDPhoenix

Awesome, just did it and it working, hooray! Now it looks just like it does in the screenshot linked to the download of cxmb v2, just one small question, in the upper left hand corner, the date is slightly cut off, the time shows up fine, but with the date, it only shows the day, but the "08/" part is cutoff, any idea why? Sorry if it seems like im asking too many questions...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Awesome, just did it and it working, hooray! Now it looks just like it does in the screenshot linked to the download of cxmb v2, just one small question, in the upper left hand corner, the date is slightly cut off, the time shows up fine, but with the date, it only shows the day, but the "08/" part is cutoff, any idea why? Sorry if it seems like im asking too many questions...

Yes, theme bug. Go into Date and Time settings, switch to 24-hour clock and it will match the screenshot.

jedsteroo

So, here's a guide on how install custom themes. Without flashing, of course.

1. First download the CXMB v2 files. Extract the archive, then copy the "cxmb" folder to your memory stick drive (e.g. X).

2. Enter the "seplugins" folder on your memory stick. If it does not exist create it.

3. Inside seplugins, there should be a file called "vsh.txt" If not then create the file.

4. Open up vsh.txt and append the following line of text: ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx

5. Boot up your PSP in recovery mode (hold R for about 10 secs after flicking the power switch).

6. In Recovery Mode, navigate to the Plugins section, and enable cxmb.prx.

7. Exit recovery mode.

8. That's it! You're done! Your PSP will not boot up with a different theme, but now, you're probably already wondering how to get different themes on your PSP. It is very easy.

Installing new themes

1. Navigate to the cxmb folder on your memory stick (X:/cxmb).

2. There, you'll see two folders, namely font and vsh. Simply replace all files in the respective folders with your new theme's contents.

3. And, that's it! You've now installed a new theme. Remember, if the screen is white with no icons you need to go into theme settings and select a different background.

Tried following your steps, did everything but still, the screen is black upon booting up the psp. Tried re-disabling and re-enabling the plug-in and booting it up quite a few times but still won't work. Also, the new v2.1 has two folders:

FOLDER NAME: cxmbv2.1
files: .DS_STORE
cxmb.prx

and FOLDER NAME: __MACOSX
containing sub-folder: cxmbv2.1
containing file: ._.DS_Store

Therefore my question is where do we put these files? and FYI, both ._.DS_Store and .DS_Store are DS_STORE files whatever they mean.

Another thing, with reference to SNDPHOENIX's quote "3 prx's you need to flash into flash0, only problem is im not exactly sure how to do it. I was looking through my recovery menu, and seen (under Advanced) the option "Toggle USB (flash0)" well if i connect my psp to the pc with a usb cable, and toggle that option on, would it allow me to copy and paste those 3 prx's into flash0 using windows explorer?"
Qn: What are the 3 prx's?
Qn: If i don't have a USB wire connecting my psp to the pc, how can i do this with a memory card reader? what are the steps?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Are you running 3.52 M33?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
yes, 3.52 M33-4 to be exact.

Hum, even without flashing the PRX files the theme should still work (just display incorrectly). Before you flash over the files you should get the theme actually working.

Just to verify, your folder paths should look like this...

X:/seplugins/

X:/cxmb/VSH

And to install the v2.1 update, just replace cxmb.prx. You can ignore the .DS_STORE files etc.

jedsteroo

but earlier on on your guide, you mentioned putting the cxmb folder on the memory stick root, not in the seplugins folder. and the vsh.txt reads "mso:/cxmb/cxmb.prx" when now if you want it to be in the cxmb folder, it should read "mso:/seplugins/cxmb.prx"

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
but earlier on on your guide, you mentioned putting the cxmb folder on the memory stick root, not in the seplugins folder. and the vsh.txt reads "mso:/cxmb/cxmb.prx" when now if you want it to be in the cxmb folder, it should read "mso:/seplugins/cxmb.prx"

sorry, I mixed up the two folders in the previous post.

So the folder paths should look like this...

X:/seplugins/

X:/cxmb/VSH

Also, is that exactly what your vsh.txt reads? It should read "ms0:/cxmb/cxmb.prx" without the quotes.

jedsteroo

i realised that certain themes work and certain themes don't work. depending on what custom firmware the theme was designed for. i realised for most M33 custom firmwares, what you see in your download should only contain the 'resource folder'. themes designed for OE-A custom firmwares contains a 'font folder' and 'resource folder' and seldom work. i heard there's converter? care to share how is it done to convert themes designed for older custom firmwares to be used for current custom firmwares?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i realised that certain themes work and certain themes don't work. depending on what custom firmware the theme was designed for. i realised for most M33 custom firmwares, what you see in your download should only contain the 'resource folder'. themes designed for OE-A custom firmwares contains a 'font folder' and 'resource folder' and seldom work. i heard there's converter? care to share how is it done to convert themes designed for older custom firmwares to be used for current custom firmwares?

You can try the program attached to this post, it reverts 3.40 RCO files to the 3.51 M33 RCO format (which also works with 3.52 M33).

Just place all the RCO files included with the theme in a folder and extract the contents from this archive to the same folder then run upgrade.bat. Once finished, copy over the new RCO files to X:/vsh/resource/ on the memory stick (or flash memory, if you're not using CXMB).

Attachments

• UpgradeRCO351b.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 9,200

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

Deivi_Z

Well I have M33 3.52-4 I've done everything step by step in that guide. The good thing is that it works but not completly!!!
The bad thing is that font don't work, and when there is a background picture (behind the waves, like it should be in a custom theme) I get white screen, when I remove background picture it works, but there's no picture left. I think cxmb.prx has a problem. Any suggestions?

Miekk

What should the exact directory be for the seplugins and everything?

I am confused, as nothing shows up in the recovery mode plugins that I can enable.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
What should the exact directory be for the seplugins and everything?

I am confused, as nothing shows up in the recovery mode plugins that I can enable.

Memory Stick root.

i.e. X:/seplugins/

that's where you create the vsh.txt file.