• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Modern Warfare 2

Joey

True but AAA can also be viewed as defining a game of high quality/ratings and that is what I was referring to. When I use the term I use it to describe a "blockbuster" game title or titles of the year. Although what you defined is more or less the "real" definition of a AAA title.

@x3sphere's comment - 100% agree with what you said

The way you guys used the term is how it's most often used, so I can't fault you for that. But it's also the incorrect usage. Just thought I'd point it out. It just kind of gets on my nerves a tiny bit.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM EST ----------

There is no doubt in my mind that this will be an AAA title. Infinity Ward is a proven developer and they have yet to disappoint. It'll probably be the must-have game for this holiday season.

But yeah, I don't think it will be anything groundbreaking. It's basically expanding on the success of CoD 4 with a few tweaks here and there, which is fine.

"Just" expanding on one of the best games ever sounds pretty good to me.

_Syn

I wish IW would break out from Treyarch the whole way and make Modern Warfare, their OWN franchise, make it go against the Call of Duty series. Which is a definite byebye for Treyarch.

xploren

Contributor
I wish IW would break out from Treyarch the whole way and make Modern Warfare, their OWN franchise, make it go against the Call of Duty series. Which is a definite byebye for Treyarch.

It's Activision's decision. They want to alternate between Treyarch and IW every game, and it might take a lot of negotiating for IW to break off from the CoD series.

Joey

You have it backwards. Treyarch is piggy backing on IW's technology, and idea's. IW has the pedigree to call the shots. I don't think they would let themselves be held back by Treyarch.

_Syn

You have it backwards. Treyarch is piggy backing on IW's technology, and idea's. IW has the pedigree to call the shots. I don't think they would let themselves be held back by Treyarch.

So true, but you still got my point. World at War would've been a disaster (or non-existant) if IW didn't make Modern Warfare, considering that WaW used a lot of the same engineering and mechanics that MW1 used. I just hope that if Activision does allow IW to break free then the games wouldn't reach high price points (I mean $70 for a PS3 game .. :cry:)

Vee

I honestly dont know why people give Treyarch so much shit. Yeah, they took someone else's technology, but they also improved it too. They didn't just reskin the game and sell it for

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
@Vee - It would've had co-op regardless of WAW I believe. It was just a feature that was heavily requested with the first game and a feature that made Gears of War successful as well. I can't believe you are even believing for a second that IW took stuff from WAW :/ WAW was a piece of crap in my opinion and the only reason why it was succesful in my opinion was the following: It bared the COD name and came after COD4.

I wish I could find the Game Informer mag that first talked about including Co-op, I'll try to hunt it down.

EDIT: From softpedia: "Sadly, it seems that Modern Warfare 2 won't have a cooperative single-player campaign, like the last title in the Call of Duty series, World at War. Instead, a multiplayer option will be present in a new Special Forces mode, which has been described in the magazine by Infinity Ward President Jason West as “in the spirit of the Mile High Club” from Call of Duty 4." - So I wouldn't say they took co-op from WAW...

Joey

@Vee - It would've had co-op regardless of WAW I believe. It was just a feature that was heavily requested with the first game and a feature that made Gears of War successful as well. I can't believe you are even believing for a second that IW took stuff from WAW :/ WAW was a piece of crap in my opinion and the only reason why it was succesful in my opinion was the following: It bared the COD name and came after COD4.

I wish I could find the Game Informer mag that first talked about including Co-op, I'll try to hunt it down.

EDIT: From softpedia: "Sadly, it seems that Modern Warfare 2 won't have a cooperative single-player campaign, like the last title in the Call of Duty series, World at War. Instead, a multiplayer option will be present in a new Special Forces mode, which has been described in the magazine by Infinity Ward President Jason West as

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah, I was pretty sure there wasn't any Co-op.

Well technically there is, but it's a different kind of co-op if I'm not mistaken. The Special Forces mode will be co-op but will feature missions like The Mile High Club because they didn't see how co-op would fit or even flow with the story mode.

Joey

Well technically there is, but it's a different kind of co-op if I'm not mistaken. The Special Forces mode will be co-op but will feature missions like The Mile High Club because they didn't see how co-op would fit or even flow with the story mode.

Yeah, but I just write "co-op" as short hand for "Story mode co-op". Horde mode like stuff is different to me.

Robby

Los Doyers!
WaW was horrible.
Nazi Zombies was the only reason me and my friends played that game.

They did have nice level designs though, but with the messed up spawning, it just ruined the point.
And I agree, most people got the game because it came after CoD4 and they thought it was going that good.

MW2 looks awesome, can't wait to play it. But so far, I think it will be the game of the year for me atleast.

Vee

I don't care that Treyarch "took" IW's technology. It was probably the smartest thing they could have done. No, my problem was that Treyarch made a game that was even close to being as good as COD4.

Also, I had no idea MW2 was going to have co-op, but I don't know what Treyarch would have to do with it. I think it would have more to do with the fact that Co-op is more common MW2's competator's, and IW has decided it worth the investment.

WaW was a good game in it's own right, but IW is on another planet from Treyarch. I don't think WaW is going to have much influence on MW2 when it's all said and done.

Also, "Fun'est" isn't a word. It's "Most fun".

Wait, you think that WAW's nowhere near as COD4? Why? i thought you played it once then dropped it? I've been playing both for ages. Besides a few issues with some overly strong guns, i dont think theres anything shitter about WAW. The maps are terrific, the story mode was great and the features were just plain awesome. For the first time, i could play the entire campaign with my mates. Please explain why you despise WAW so much. I'm pretty sure its just down to it being set in WWII and not the future/present.

Also, i knew that "Most fun" was the correct term, but it sounded awkward in my sentence. But thanks regardless.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Wait, you think that WAW's nowhere near as COD4? Why? i thought you played it once then dropped it? I've been playing both for ages. Besides a few issues with some overly strong guns, i dont think theres anything shitter about WAW. The maps are terrific, the story mode was great and the features were just plain awesome. For the first time, i could play the entire campaign with my mates. Please explain why you despise WAW so much. I'm pretty sure its just down to it being set in WWII and not the future/present.

Also, i knew that "Most fun" was the correct term, but it sounded awkward in my sentence. But thanks regardless.

To each's own but in my opinion:

1) Story, what story?
2) The maps? Personally I thought they were terrible, there was only one map out of the lot that I liked.
3) They introduced vehicles in multiplayer...that just ruined the experience in my opinion
4) It's a generic WWII shooter as well, nothing revolutionary in terms of story.
5) Having over-powered guns is a huge no-no in a multiplayer game.
6) The multilayer mechanics were a rip-off of COD4's and even at that they weren't that great
7) The guns lack many unique identifying factors about them
8) The graphics seem like a downgrade in my opinion as well