• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Modern Warfare 2

EvilSeph

Administrator
*If* you do change ScoresPing, you may want to change maxbars to 10 for a more accurate representation of ping.

Please try out the maxPing tweak and let me know the results, if you don't mind. Thanks.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The command seta cl_maxPing "100" will limit the maximum ping server to join. The default value is 800!!!
seta cg_ScoresPing_Interval "25" will set the latency for each bar.

awesome, I'll just type those into the cons....oh wait.

j/k, I'll change my cfg :p

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I haven't received my preorder yet. Google says the ping setting works but it rarely finds any games at 100 and below.

I didn't have any problems with getting a game below 100ms.

scoresping_interval set to 25, maxbars set to 10 and maxping set to 100

iw4mp2009-11-1303-52-26-57.jpg

iw4mp2009-11-1303-48-36-31.jpg

bonus points to who can spot the host.

Joey

Stupid hotel internet isn't fast enough to play this online. I am SOOOOOO fucking pissed about this. I'm never going to get to play this online.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Are you playing the game on a PC? If not, lose the attitude. This is the first time we've been given such below par quality crap.

Please enlighten me: what other PC games are there with connection bars? And even then, it was merely an observation, not a complaint. The complaint was about the terrible lag he was experiencing.

You clearly don't understand why we're so frustrated by these terrible choices IW/Activision have made and your ignorance is simply adding on to this. If you're going to shoot down our opinions, try and be nicer about it.
It is just too funny. You guys complained when they first announced it and some of you even said you wouldn't buy the game.
Then the game comes out and people are still complaining about the same thing and they knew it was going to have problems, but they still bought the game.

If anything, you guys have yourselves to blame for causing you guys to rage. Don't buy the game, don't play online and you guys will be fine.

If you guys want to play games, but a console. If you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford a $200 console. Play games on a gaming console, everything is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.
I am playing MW2 on my Xbox and god is the online mode a beast! So much fun! They made CoD4 multiplayer, but 10x better

EDIT: I am not trying to shoot down your opinions, I just don't get it.
If I knew something was going to be sub par, or crap, I wouldn't waste my money on it or I would look for alternatives.

ilyace

It is just too funny. You guys complained when they first announced it and some of you even said you wouldn't buy the game.
Then the game comes out and people are still complaining about the same thing and they knew it was going to have problems, but they still bought the game.

If anything, you guys have yourselves to blame for causing you guys to rage. Don't buy the game, don't play online and you guys will be fine.

If you guys want to play games, but a console. If you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford a $200 console. Play games on a gaming console, everything is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.
I am playing MW2 on my Xbox and god is the online mode a beast! So much fun! They made CoD4 multiplayer, but 10x better

If I knew something was going to be sub par, or crap, I wouldn't waste my money on it or I would look for alternatives.

You're not too bright are you :\

Robby

Los Doyers!
No, I have a mental disability.
Please don't make fun of me.
kthanxbai

But I was bright enough to buy MW2 for the platform it should be on considering all the flaws in the PC version.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
No, I have a mental disability.
Please don't make fun of me.
kthanxbai

But I was bright enough to buy MW2 for the platform it should be on considering all the flaws in the PC version.

There isn't really flaws, it's just that it's the EXACT same as the console version and doesn't take advantage of the platforms strengths.

MW2 isn't balanced for PCs.

Robby

Los Doyers!
There isn't really flaws, it's just that it's the EXACT same as the console version and doesn't take advantage of the platforms strengths.

MW2 isn't balanced for PCs.
Can you atleast enjoy the game?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

You realize that buying a console doesn't solve anything? The multiplayer experience is the same on a console, subpar. That's why many us game on PC in the first place.

If you're not a PC gamer, you won't understand. You're probably content with the experience on your console. The same can be said of most console gamers. They are generally more forgiving of issues, while PC gamers aren't. We like to complain and get things fixed.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Ahh then maybe you can make a new thread for the issues on the PC version?
I don't like reading a thread full of complaining, I would rather talk about people enjoying the game and having fun.

I've been playing this game since it got leaked, which has been 3 weeks and in those 3 weeks, I can say the multiplayer is the best part of the game. IW made the perfect online experience which I thought was almost impossible after playing CoD4.
Sure the single player has it cinematic moments, but the multiplayer keeps me hooked and it is so fun.

Oh and I've played tons of games on a PC. I enjoy being able to play with a keyboard and moue every once in awhile. I even played CoD4 on my PC when my xbox went to shit.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Can you atleast enjoy the game?

I never said that I didn't enjoy the game, I sure as hell did enjoy the single player and am enjoying the Spec Ops and the MP.

iw4sp2009-11-1206-58-44-30.jpg

As x3 said though, compared to how it could of been for the PC, the MP is subpar and the exact same as it is on consoles.
That's not to say that it's utter crap, it's just that using the better features of PC gaming, it could of been better.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Oh ok, I never said that you said you never enjoyed the game. Was just wondering if you can still enjoy it.
You say the MP is subpar and is the exact same on consoles, but I don't have host/connection problems like you guys are mentioning.

Don't you guys have host migration?
I mean, if someone can be the host of a MP game on a console and have it run smoothly, why can't he be the host of a MP game on the PC and have it run smoothly? Isn't that how the PC version is setup, someone in the game is the host, correct?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Oh ok, I never said that you said you never enjoyed the game. Was just wondering if you can still enjoy it.
You say the MP is subpar and is the exact same on consoles, but I don't have host/connection problems like you guys are mentioning.

Don't you guys have host migration?
I mean, if someone can be the host of a MP game on a console and have it run smoothly, why can't he be the host of a MP game on the PC and have it run smoothly? Isn't that how the PC version is setup, someone in the game is the host, correct?

Yes, there is host migration and both versions are setup so that the player with the best connection is set as a listen server but us PC gamers are less tolerant of lag than console gamers. The main issue is that these listen servers are being hosted on consumer internet connections where the upload bandwidth is extremely limited which brings about much higher pings. This can result in pings ranging in the 100ms to 200ms range which according to IWnet is still 3/4 bars worthy but it is just not acceptable. A 200ms ping means that it takes a fifth of a second for a bullet hit to register which if you're playing an FPS game is an obvious delay.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yes, there is host migration and both versions are setup so that the player with the best connection is set as a listen server but us PC gamers are less tolerant of lag than console gamers. The main issue is that these listen servers are being hosted on consumer internet connections where the upload bandwidth is extremely limited which brings about much higher pings. This can result in pings ranging in the 100ms to 200ms range which according to IWnet is still 3/4 bars worthy but it is just not acceptable. A 200ms ping means that it takes a fifth of a second for a bullet hit to register which if you're playing an FPS game is an obvious delay.

Yeah I understand.
On the xbox, it always says 100ms and I always have 4 bars connection.
You can see the lag when it shows the final kill, most of the time, the gun isn't even pointing at the guy.

Well hope everything works out for you PC users.

LocutusEstBorg

I'm trying to learn how to write an NDIS filter to hook connections on a per process basis. My goal is to block the game's outgoing connections to other hosts to force it to start a listenserver. Probably by identifying the packets used for connecting to a game. If that works out then it'll basically work like how I used to play CoD4 (always started listenserver). I'll post if I succeed. Or you could identify the Steam and IWNet IPs and block all the rest for the MW2 executable in a software firewall while allowing incoming.