• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Custom Firmware 4.01 M33

pspknightx

So I've downloaded 4.01 M33 + 4.01 official, renamed the official to 401.pbp, stuck both in the /psp/game/update folder, and ran the update, only to have the colored screen + sound come and go, then the screen go black and turn off. My memory card access light flashes a few time while the screen is off, and then nothing.

My current version is 3.52 M33, and i am a newb at PSP homebrew, but i am pretty sure i did this right. Any hints?

Update it to 3.52m33-4 and try again.
http://exophase.com/files/psp/M33-1234.zip

If the problem still occur, maybe is your memory stick problem.
Are you using fake or original MS?
You can check it by pointing to "Memory Stick" in the XMB. Then press the Triangle button and select Information. If it shows supported, it is original.
Using Fake MS always facing lots of problem.

so what does this update do? does it support ps1 games and things like that and if i dont like it may i go back to the official sony firmwares???

Custom Firmware supports lots function then the Official Firmware. However, if you want to go back to OFW, you are always welcome to do so. But you cant go back to CFW anymore unless you have pandora battery + magic stick.

From CFW > OFW = 100%
From OFW > CFW = 0% (99% with pandora, the remaining 1% due to some careless mistake or whatever XD)

gnash

duh uh

so i know i skipped pages is the 1.50 kernel support up yet and is that what i have to have to keep playing homebrew? running 3.9 m33-2 right now not having probs so thinking about leaving as is nahmean

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
so i know i skipped pages is the 1.50 kernel support up yet and is that what i have to have to keep playing homebrew? running 3.9 m33-2 right now not having probs so thinking about leaving as is nahmean

No, you don't need the 1.5 kernel for most homebrew. Older applications, yes.

akiba1337

hey can somebody help me?
I accidently installed it without the 401.pbp so now it just say in the system info 4.01, so can i still upgrade it to 4.01 m33?

plz somebody reply

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
hey can somebody help me?
I accidently installed it without the 401.pbp so now it just say in the system info 4.01, so can i still upgrade it to 4.01 m33?

plz somebody reply

You need a Pandora battery and magic memory stick. 4.01 M33 can only be installed on a PSP running custom firmware.

There is a guide on creating a Pandora setup here: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=3780

You'll need to use another PSP running CFW to complete the steps, though.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
i already had a custom firmware before doesn't this mean i have a pandora battery and magic memory stick?

No... unless you followed one of the Pandora guides in the past and still haven't converted your battery back. If you want to check if you have a Pandora battery, boot your PSP without any memory stick inserted. If it boots to a black screen, then the battery is a Pandora.

fastfood

internal error; 4.01M33

Hi guys,
thanks for all the effort! x3sphere, I can't believe how cool you stay with the noobs that don't bother to do a little research before they post. :confused1:

Yes, I have a small contribution to this forum.

First my story:
I ran 3.40 OE happily for 1,5 years now on my fat PSP and finally decided to move up to the M33 thingies as I bought the GPS receiver for the PSP which needed 3.80. :cool:
I installed the all the prerequisites to 3.52M33-4 and succesfully installed 4.01M33 thanks to you guys. Ah yes, also had the problem with the "Upacking.... done. Please wait" ... those were some scary minutes, but easily fixed by visiting the recovery and setting it to 3.xx kernel: thanks Fluid! :thumbup:
One more thing; all of this was done with a fake memory stick. Although it is not recommended, it IS possible. Yes I know; I took a risk.

Now my point/question/problem:
Before playing with the GoExplore thingy, I tested the 4.01 installation and got scared to death as I entered the settings > video settings or theme settings. It said "Internal error" and the screen to reset EVERYTHING appeared (which I remembered from downgrading to 1.50). I switched it off entirely and luckily everything was fine when I turned it on again.
Strangely enough, I can't reproduce the problem now.
I didn't have an UMD loaded at the time.
Anyone else had this fright?

cheers guys, well done! 8)

miguels56

<p>ok so i have da official 4.01 firmawre and i want to get custom firmware but i dont know exactly how, i just upgraded to 4.01 as soon as i got da psp home, but dat was before i found out about custom firmware, can anybody help</p>

fastfood

<p>ok so i have da official 4.01 firmawre and i want to get custom firmware but i dont know exactly how, i just upgraded to 4.01 as soon as i got da psp home, but dat was before i found out about custom firmware, can anybody help</p>

How about doing some research first on this forum? :sleep:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

vandmike

after trying and trying to get this upgrade to work and all it was, was as simple as switching kernel over to 3.25 m33 god haha thank you everyone.

wakka

Fat PSP v4.00 --> 4.01 M33

Apologies if I am going over old ground here but would like some clarification on the process.

I have a fat PSP running Sony version 4.00, I would like to upgrade the CFW 4.01 M33, having reviewed endless you tube vids, and forums the process appears to be different for fat and slim PSP's.

The questions I have. For the fat PSP do I

Need the Padora Battery
The Magic Memory stick
Need to the 1.50 Kernel and should this be installed ahead of the cfw.
Or can I go straight the downloads and update my psp as it is without the need for above.

Once on the cfw, I do understand the process.

Wakka

ingwie1993

Hello boys! So, i'm new at this forum. In the last week, i lookt for same cool programs for my psp. so i mean homebrews. then i find dark_alex. i loaded the 4.01 M33 and i had put the sonyupdate named with 401.pbp in the same UPDATE folder. so i opend the firmware but there was a problem: This game can't start! (80020148). and my psp is german, because i live there. So, can anybuddy hel my? the people who wants to helb my and my psp, this people must mail me at keviningwersen@hotmail.de .Because i am not often here. Bye!

NoobKilla

I just bought a psp and I wanted to add custom firmware. Can I skip all the way to 4.01 M33 or do I have to update my psp to every version first?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Apologies if I am going over old ground here but would like some clarification on the process.

I have a fat PSP running Sony version 4.00, I would like to upgrade the CFW 4.01 M33, having reviewed endless you tube vids, and forums the process appears to be different for fat and slim PSP's.

The questions I have. For the fat PSP do I

Need the Padora Battery
The Magic Memory stick
Need to the 1.50 Kernel and should this be installed ahead of the cfw.
Or can I go straight the downloads and update my psp as it is without the need for above.

Once on the cfw, I do understand the process.

Wakka

The process to install CFW is no different on a fat. If you're running 4.00 official firmware then you'll need a Pandora battery and magic memory stick.

@roro2010dude: There is always the small chance that the PSP will brick during a firmware update (as is the case with all electronics). I wouldn't worry about it, though.

@NoobKilla: It depends on which firmware you have installed. The only requirement to install 4.01 M33 is that you are running 3.52 M33-3 or higher.