• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Custom Firmware 4.01 M33

bblair

I'm a newbie as I just got my PSP and sandisk 8gig yesterday. Where can I find a good description of what 4.01 m33 does and the step by step instructions for dummies for installing it to a virgin PSP. I've looked through the threads and they appear to be tuned more for those who have installed earlier firmware.

I reviewed Darkchild's steps and am wondering if I'm SOL as:
1. My PSP factory firmware is >3.5, and
2. Based on the map, there's nobody w/in 1000 miles (montana) that has homebrew enabled;

Any suggestions for me?

viks123

when i download 4.01 m33-2 it saves it as notepad
i dont no how to change it back
does an1 know how to change it so it will work on my psp
plz reply asap
ty

flyingmop182

<p>Whenever i try to download custom firmware a message on my psp comes up that says "The game could not be started (80020148)" i dont know if its because the firmware im using is 4.01 and my psp is a psp fat. please help me.</p>

bhong82

does XMB 3.7x M33 themes work for this?,

and also when i try to run snes9x TYL 8002014C error i'm running phat psp 4.01 m33-2

Thanks.

zEPHIROTh

Hello, this is my situation:

-Been using Dark Alex 3.90 M33 CFW for two weeks
-Was playing some ol' PSX games on PSP (sweet) I.Q., Parasite Eve w/o issues
-Then I tryed to play FFVII, the game started OK, passing the first FMV, but then on the first battle **crash**
-Reading some forums got the info about Dark Alex 4.01 M33-2 CFW being friendly with FVII and its "issues"
-So I installed 4.01 M33-2 CFW, no problems at all.

--Till now--
-FFVII works great, but now that I want to play Parasite Eve, the game doesnt pass the PlayStation Screen.

Is someone experiencing this kind of problems too?
What type of error may be?
Can be fixed?
Is there a list of games incompatibilities about this 4.01 M33-2 CFW?
How can I keep playing the only two PSX games Im interested to play on my PSP 4.01 M33-2?

Thank you.

PD: I allready try runing 4.01 M33, same problem FFVII runs OK, PE doesnt; a mod from another forum suggest that I must add popsloader "in order to run some games" that said I put the "seplugins" folder to the root of my PSP Memory Stick with no changes. I read all the 15 pages on this thread, found some clues abut what may be the solution, still need some expert advise.

zEPHIROTh

<p>Whenever i try to download custom firmware a message on my psp comes up that says "The game could not be started (80020148)" i dont know if its because the firmware im using is 4.01 and my psp is a psp fat. please help me.</p>

I think you are runing 4.01 OFW in your fat PSP, if thats the case, you can only use CFW thru a Pandoras Battery and Magic Stick. Give a read from the begining of the thread, most people think they can just update from an OFW to CFW.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
@zEPHIROTh: Although I've not personally tested it, most likely Parasite Eve is incompatible with the 4.01 POPS. If it worked fine in 3.90 M33, then nothing is wrong with the game file.

You'll have to wait until D_A releases a 4.01 M33 compatible build of popsloader, so you can use the 3.90 POPS for this game.

Tom__

Hey, I have a problem..
in my PSP I have official firmware 4.05
my Question Is ..
Can I Custom firmware,change a 4.05 to 4.01 m33
and How?
please, HELP ME...Quickly...

zEPHIROTh

...so you can use the 3.90 POPS for this game.

Yes I was thinking something like it, the problem now is that I dont know how to run the previous 3.90 POPS on my 4.01 M33-2.

If you can redirect me to some info about how to do that, I'll be gratefull.

Thank you.

EDIT: About FFVII issues found some info here PSX on PSP Compatibility List so I downgraded to 3.90 M33-3, activate the 380m33 Popsloader v2 plugin thru Recovery Mode, set the POPS to 3.71 and then .... nothing happens, it froze on the POPS Select Screen. Im really sad.

EDIT2: Same goes for Parasite Eve on 4.01 M33-2. Popsloader Enabled, switching POPS to 3.71 and the POPS Select Screen just stand there. -_-

FINAL EDIT: Finally got Popsloader working thanks to the info on this thread.
Installed 4.01 M33-2 to run FFVII then switching to 3.71 M33 to play Parasite Eve, working fine so far.

Must Thank to all the 1337 people who contribute with all that information.

biro

The one behind second 5.03 exploit
yesterday i tried to update but it said the game couldnt be started maybe coz i have fw 4.01

babel116

Hey folks, I'm pretty new at this my self, I just updated to the 4.01 M33-2 after my 3.90 became extremely slow to respond. now I can't seem to run any of my CSO files, if I'm posting in the wrong place for this can I get a link to the best place for this kind of question? thanks.

**edit**
I should mention I have a fat model if that really makes a difference.

**edit 2***
ok, looks like I'm not just that observant. turns out I just needed to change some of the settings in the recovery. sorry to waste your time.
btw all if the advice on these boards rock.

matman2971

I did everything correct and all I get is "(80020148)the game could not be started." I put the file 4.01BPB and the file EBOOT.BPB in the update folder and when I run the update that is all it says.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I did everything correct and all I get is "(80020148)the game could not be started." I put the file 4.01BPB and the file EBOOT.BPB in the update folder and when I run the update that is all it says.

As has been stated numerous times, you cannot run the 4.01 M33 installer on official firmware. Use a Pandora battery and magic memory stick to install custom firmware.

Going forward, any further posts asking for help on installing CFW on official firmware in this particular thread will be deleted -- it's been answered repeatedly and is making the legitimate questions more difficult to find for users.

Check the Noobie FAQ first: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=6832

If you have further questions visit the Help Center: http://forums.exophase.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

csiman

I haven't used my fat PSP in months, i'm currently on 3.71 M33-4.

Can I just go straight to 4.01, or do I need to install lesser firmwares first?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I haven't used my fat PSP in months, i'm currently on 3.71 M33-4.

Can I just go straight to 4.01, or do I need to install lesser firmwares first?

You can go straight to 4.01 M33.

Racle

I got 3.71 FW and i got couple questions, if i upgrade that to this, will my apps work? (psptube, pspradio etc.)
And do this have any divx support?

Elite stealth

:confused1::glare::sad::confused1:Anytime i put on my psp slim it says this game could not be started can u plz help idk wat to do

Maybe its because i cnt make a magic memory stick or i have it on official firmware 3.90 i have pandora battery idk how to make mms plz help im new at all this

jimbob1986

i know this is proberbly a noob question but

can i still play all the games i have been playing and my save files are all right and is the right software for what firmware i have

i have firmware 3.90 m33-3

agoenk101

NEED GUIDE TO UPGRADE CUSTOM FIRMWARE 4.01
HII... i have slim PSP with custom firmware 3.70 M33-2 and wanna upgrade with 4.10 , anyone can help me plss...? my PSP was unlocked by my friend and i dont know how to upgrade it , do i need pandora batterey ? can i go straight to 4.10 ? or have to install 3.80 , 3,90 first ? i have read some topic regarding uograding and downgrading here and on pspiso but still have some doubts , tyvm for replay