• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Custom Firmware 4.01 M33

yopey

Help Plz

Hey I have original firmware 4.01 on psp slim and i followed the steps tht was given and when i pressed "X" on the update it said game couldn't be started error 80020148

pspknightx

Hey I have original firmware 4.01 on psp slim and i followed the steps tht was given and when i pressed "X" on the update it said game couldn't be started error 80020148

No way you can run it if you are having Original Firmware > <
But you can use Pandora method to solve this problem. Find some friend who is using Custom Firmware and help you. :smile:

fluid

Yeah just upgrade to 3.52 M33-3, then you'll be set to install 4.01 M33. No need to go any further than that.

@vandmike: First back up any important data and try formatting your memory stick on the PSP to see if that fixes the problem. Also try re-downloading the 401.PBP. If the problem still persists, it's likely you have a fake or faulty memory stick.

I now have the same problem as vandmike. It keeps on saying
Upacking.... done.
Please wait

for a long time now. I will try it later the methods you said, but I have a question: is setting the kernel of the game to 3.xx kernel be of any help to this problem?

fluid

I now have the same problem as vandmike. It keeps on saying
Upacking.... done.
Please wait

for a long time now. I will try it later the methods you said, but I have a question: is setting the kernel of the game to 3.xx kernel be of any help to this problem?

I did all the methods above plus I change the kernel to 3.52. The fat psp is now 4.01 m33-2! Thanks everyone. Very helpful community.

Ceemax

what about ofw?

My friend has one of the first psps (phat) and hasnt updated his ofw...can I pandorize my battery on his, and use the pandora on mine?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
My friend has one of the first psps (phat) and hasnt updated his ofw...can I pandorize my battery on his, and use the pandora on mine?

What OFW version is he running? You'll first need to install custom firmware on his PSP, then then yeah you can covert your battery to Pandora. The battery can be used on any PSP.

Ferrous

<p>I have two PSPs, both at 3.52 M33-3. The first PSP I tried to update did the same thing as vandmike's, sitting there saying "Unpacking... Done. Please wait..." And it does nothing. The other PSP worked fine.</p>
<p>So I switched memory sticks and and it does the same thing. Both memory sticks got formatted, too. How do I go about fixing this? Apparently Fluid fixed it by renaming the kernel to 3.52. How do I do that?</p>

Chilly Willy

Contributor
<p>I have two PSPs, both at 3.52 M33-3. The first PSP I tried to update did the same thing as vandmike's, sitting there saying "Unpacking... Done. Please wait..." And it does nothing. The other PSP worked fine.</p>
<p>So I switched memory sticks and and it does the same thing. Both memory sticks got formatted, too. How do I go about fixing this? Apparently Fluid fixed it by renaming the kernel to 3.52. How do I do that?</p>

In the recovery menu is an option for which kernel 3.52 (or older) cfw uses when you run stuff from GAME. You MUST set that to 3.xx or the PSP will try to run the updater as 1.50 software (which it is not). Also, in case someone didn't mention it elsewhere - turn off/remove any custom themes or plugins before trying to install custom firmware. It's okay for minor updates like 4.01 M33 to 4.01 M33-2, but it's NOT okay for major updates like 3.52 M33 or even 3.90 M33 to 4.01 M33. Having a custom theme set and then doing a major update is the leading cause of bad flash1 partitions after updating.

Ferrous

<p>Fixed, and thank you very much, Chilly Willy. I now am updated.</p>
<p>For those of you who are having troubles, just hold R to get to the recovery menu and change the game folder that it runs from to 3.xx.</p>
<p>Then update.</p>

Beavii

Hi can anyone help,

i bought a psp, it has version 4.01 but refuses to let me do anything with it,

all i want to do is play psx games, any one able to tell me how to get it running on

"PSP Custom Firmware 4.01 M33"

Acerthief

Azurial

I too am having the "unpacking please wait..." error. I have reformated several times, redownloaded and readded all files several times, my memory stick is fine because I just used it to update from 3.02 to 3.52. This error occurs for me when trying to update to both 3.9 and 4.1

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated...

Azurial

Alright I discovered that this is because I did not set the kernel to 3.52 in recovery mode. Now the problem is that when I try to update it says "must have firmware 3.52 M33 or higher. And that is what I have.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Alright I discovered that this is because I did not set the kernel to 3.52 in recovery mode. Now the problem is that when I try to update it says "must have firmware 3.52 M33 or higher. And that is what I have.

Hmm, which 3.52 M33 version are you on? You actually need to be running 3.52 M33-3 or higher.

Here is a link to the update: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=3185

plr4ever

Black Screen Of Nothing

So I've downloaded 4.01 M33 + 4.01 official, renamed the official to 401.pbp, stuck both in the /psp/game/update folder, and ran the update, only to have the colored screen + sound come and go, then the screen go black and turn off. My memory card access light flashes a few time while the screen is off, and then nothing.

My current version is 3.52 M33, and i am a newb at PSP homebrew, but i am pretty sure i did this right. Any hints?

roro2010dude

so what does this update do? does it support ps1 games and things like that and if i dont like it may i go back to the official sony firmwares???