• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Sony announces PS3 firmware 3.0 [Released]

Seth

MD Party Room
Sony just announced a bunch of tweaks and additions to the PS3, PSP, and PlayStation Network at GamesCom, chief among them the new PS3 firmware 3.0. The new code features animated themes with avatars, a new status indicator, a modified friends list, assorted interface changes, tweaks to trophies, and a What's New section that replaces the Information Board. Sony's also bringing the PlayStation Video store to the UK, France, Germany and Spain in November, with more planned expansion in 2010 -- customers will be able to rent and buy films in SD and HD, and while it'll open with just movies, other content will be added as time goes on. The PSP is also getting a Digital Reader comics viewer, with lots of heavy hitters like Marvel on baord to provide content -- Marvel says the PSP could become their biggest distribution outlet. We'll see about that -- for now, check a video of firmware 3.0 after the break.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/510/70.086

Wow this is a really good update..

Sony announces PS3 firmware 3.0, European PlayStation Video Store, Digital Reader comics viewer

“What’s New” – The “Information Board” will be replaced with a “What’s New” section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, “What’s New” displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.

Status Indicator – In the top right corner we’ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.

Friends List – Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends’ respective profiles.

PlayStation Store Shortcuts – We’ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
Personalization – Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.

Trophies – Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories—base trophies and add-on trophies—that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

PlayStation.Blog : The official PlayStation blog for all of your PLAYSTATION 3, PlayStation 2 and PSP news.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
no PS2 BC = Fail

Sinfulfate

no PS2 BC = Fail

I never understood why people want this. If you want to play PS2 games buy a PS2.

Im glad there fixing the PSN store, I hope by shortcuts they mean we can filter content by platform. Trying to find the newly released PSN games is a nightmare. They should really make the PSN store on the PS3 more PS3 focus.

Adiuvo

no PS2 BC = Fail
This I can understand I suppose...
STILL no voice chat = double fail

...but this? Who cares? There's voice chat everywhere but in game.\

People seem to quick to hate on Sony because they didn't add one single feature, let alone one that nobody really asks for.

I'm interested in the PSP comic book reader. Marvel better not gouge the prices.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Well I'm selling my PSP-3000 w/ 2 games and 12Gb stick for 170€ to get some money for my Go anyways :p

I think the Go! will pair up nicely with my 250gb PS3... No I just need PS2 BC................

Adiuvo

There's also remote play, I forgot about that feature. Given the smaller size of the Go I might actually carry it around in my pocket and use remote play to access media.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Exactly my point Adiuvo... Internet Remote Play is vey useful for that specific point

B

Bizarre

This I can understand I suppose...

...but this? Who cares? There's voice chat everywhere but in game.\

People seem to quick to hate on Sony because they didn't add one single feature, let alone one that nobody really asks for.

I'm interested in the PSP comic book reader. Marvel better not gouge the prices.

Not that I hate Sony, just that I have an Xbox as well so I'm always in a party chat, I'm used to it instead on messaging. Plus it is much easier to talk to someone instead of pausing the game and then message.

_Syn

AAAAH, no voice chat?! Well, at least they're actually looking to replace some stuff, rather than adding something and not finishing it. But, whoever said that peope weren't asking for voice chat is a complete idiot. You haven't read the boards when the update for in-game XMB came out! That's when everyone wanted voice-chat to go in-game!

Dan

Contributor
What I really was expecting from 3.0 was custom PSN avatars. I don't see why we're chained to using the standard ones, I don't like any of them. I'm not really bothered about voice chat though. I only added my real life friends and none of them have a mic.

B

Bizarre

What I really was expecting from 3.0 was custom PSN avatars. I don't see why we're chained to using the standard ones, I don't like any of them. I'm not really bothered about voice chat though. I only added my real life friends and none of them have a mic.

I think its to stop people using inappropriate avatars.

B

Bizarre

Is that annoying bug where the battery indicator is on top of the time fixed?

Yea, theres a video on the playstation blog if your interested.
I would love custom avatars but once again this is Sony. They wouldn't do it, they would rather give us premium avatars.