• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Tiff Exploit - HEN Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon2146

Adding checks against ISO loaders isn't that much of a bad idea, it'd be nice to have Sony change it's view on the homebrew scene, as right now a custom firmware comes conjoined with a large sum of ISO-related features, it's just hard to look away from them. Sure, it'd restrict the freedom, but besides, if someone can't even disable a few simple checks in the HEN code, then they shouldn't be writing an ISO loader, as they probably just stole the code off older sources in that case.

Personally I have to agree with those saying that adding more security to an exploit to circumvent security may not be hypocritical but it definitely is borderline absurd. Not coding in ISO Loader support or checking it against ISO Loading? Fine, its not on his docket so he shouldnt worry about it if he doesnt want to. But purposely working against future developers who might want to add the feature because of either a morality stance or anger at people is not in the spirit of open computing in my opinion.

MaxMouseDLL

Personally I have to agree with those saying that adding more security to an exploit to circumvent security may not be hypocritical but it definitely is borderline absurd. Not coding in ISO Loader support or checking it against ISO Loading? Fine, its not on his docket so he shouldnt worry about it if he doesnt want to. But purposely working against future developers who might want to add the feature because of either a morality stance or anger at people is not in the spirit of open computing in my opinion.

Nail on the head...

Bubbletune

Thing is, if he doesn't do so an ISO loader will be released quite easily, and piracy rates will go up even more. What he'd like to see is a homebrew-enabled PSP model used only for homebrew. It may change the way Sony views the homebrew scene, as currently the best way to run homebrew (custom firmware) comes with built-in ISO loaders.

Bubbletune

Man I suppose I'll sound like a parrot:
Here's your options:
A. Take it how it comes.
B. Do it yourself.

If you don't like waiting, expecting what will be, mad at the development, or basically anything related to this: DO IT YOURSELF.

What's that? You can't?
Then your opinion is just that. An opinion. You know what they say about opinions and .... well never mind. Point being is that this same thing comes up with every psp related hacking release. Lots of people willing to put their 2 cents in about what they want, don't want, like or don't like. Guess what? Too bad.

Don't like the directions? Do it yourself. If you can't, and expect to enjoy the work of others: take it exactly as it comes or not at all.

And that is my 'nail in the head'. Sorry if you feel insulted. Do something yourself or stop complaining. Life is hard like that.

I couldn't have said it better.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

You're just a kid who wants to pirate games and are trying to find a way to justify your arugment really. It's an immature stance. This exploit is being used for how exploits should be used, to exploit the system to run homebrew, not to run pirated games. This is not absurd in any form, I don't understand how you guys are able to "justify" your arugments. He's adding security against something that is ILLEGAL, how is that absurd?

MaxMouseDLL

You're just a kid who wants to pirate games and are trying to find a way to justify your arugment really. It's an immature stance. This exploit is being used for how exploits should be used, to exploit the system to run homebrew, not to run pirated games. This is not absurd in any form, I don't understand how you guys are able to "justify" your arugments. He's adding security against something that is ILLEGAL, how is that absurd?

I don't think he is "Just a kid" ... even so...

It's absurd because listen to it, "Added security on an exploit which breaks security" i guess he is justified in doing it though, in some small way. Maybe he wants to be the "Moral knight in shining armour to the scourge of piracy", and there is always "It's his exploit, he can do/not do whatever the hell he wants to do", and yes ISO loaders even with their benefits (Which are not illegal) are used mostly to pirate software (Which is...)

Sony's limitations grate on me, if this HEN has security features designed to impede anything then that'll grate on me too...

There will always be two sides of the camp on this issue... i think everything that can be said by both sides has been, all that is left now is flaming each other... FrozenIpaq seems to have already touched on this by calling someone "Just a kid"

Anyway, crack on Davee, as long as it's right for you nothing anyone says matters :)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I don't think he is "Just a kid" ... even so...

It's absurd because listen to it, "Added security on an exploit which breaks security" i guess he is justified in doing it though, in some small way. Maybe he wants to be the "Moral knight in shining armour to the scourge of piracy", and there is always the whole "It's his exploit, he can do/not do whatever the hell he wants to do", and yes ISO loaders even with their benefits (Which are not illegal) are used mostly to pirate software (Which is...)

Sony's limitations grate on me, if this HEN has security features designed to impede anything then that'll grate on me too...

There will always be two sides of the camp on this issue... i think everything that can be said by both sides has been, all that is left now is flaming each other... FrozenIpaq seems to have already touched on this by calling someone "Just a kid"

Anyway, crack on Davee, as long as it's right for you nothing anyone says matters :)

You can turn a blind eye to it, but ISO loaders and POPs are ONLY used for piracy in the scene. There are no legal, public ROM ISO's. There was a point in time where a developer allowed eboots to be formatted into an ISO format for booting but that never took off and only resulted in one or two POC ISOs. That leaves just copyrighted material to be run.

With this being known what Davee is doing is far from absurd and the reference to "kid" was just pointing out an immature argument, which it is in my opinion (and being a kid isn't bad, I'm not saying it is)

MaxMouseDLL

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. :p

lol.. Davee is quite young isn't he... 15 years old i read somewhere.. he has a complex moral stance and extraordinary skill set for someone that age...

Even so... "Just a kid" lol, that'd piss me off...

You can turn a blind eye to it, but ISO loaders and POPs are ONLY used for piracy in the scene. There are no legal, public ROM ISO's. There was a point in time where a developer allowed eboots to be formatted into an ISO format for booting but that never took off and only resulted in one or two POC ISOs. That leaves just copyrighted material to be run.

With this being known what Davee is doing is far from absurd and the reference to "kid" was just pointing out an immature argument, which it is in my opinion (and being a kid isn't bad, I'm not saying it is)

Well, we'll agree to disagree then won't we :)

Moose

Meta Moose
This has gone off-topic. We are talking about HEN if I remember correctly, not piracy or ISO support. It has been established that ISO support will not be making an appearance in the new HEN so shall we move on?

Any future posts concerning the non-existent ISO support in this HEN will be deleted. If the poster persists they will be banned from the thread.

MaxMouseDLL: Not everyone who is 15 is as you expect. :)

MaxMouseDLL

Everyone does, it's just that most people can't be bothered to use them. :p I'm also only 15. :)

Christ, where does your maturity come from? I've read your posts in a lot of forums you're involved in... and at no point did i think you where younger than me (I'm 25)

MaxMouseDLL: Not everyone who is 15 is as you expect. :)

That was my point, FrozenIpaq made the comment "Just a kid" when referring to someone.. i have no issue with age, clearly he does...

FrozenIpaq Edit: I never said age was an issue, you are the one making the assumptions MaxMouseDLL Edit: lol.. use "reply", i make no assumptions..

You're quote, age is obviously an issue to you... do you not want to back down and admit you probably shouldn't have said that because you're an admin here? do you want to explore what you said further... is your "assumption" that all "Kids" pirate games and are "immature"?

Anyway, your right, off topic lol.. I'll shut up, and we'll leave it there, you don't have to threaten me with the ban-hammer lol... i see censoring is quite heavy on this board hu?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Christ, where does your maturity come from? I've read your posts in a lot of forums you're involved in... and at no point did i think you where younger than me (I'm 25)

That was my point, FrozenIpaq made the comment "Just a kid" when referring to someone.. i have no issue with age, clearly he does...

Anyway, your right, off topic lol.. I'll shut up, and we'll leave it there, you don't have to threaten me with the ban-hammer lol... i see censoring is quite heavy on this board hu?

I just people with a certain degree of talent are just born with it I guess...

Anyways, any news on the HEN? I'm dying over here :p

MaxMouseDLL

I just people with a certain degree of talent are just born with it I guess...

Anyways, any news on the HEN? I'm dying over here :p

uh hu, we can all discuss the misgivings of Davee, his HEN and his moral grounding. but what matters is this HEN will allow execution of unsigned code (Homebrew), no news yet, but it is still Sunday evening, depending what Davee etc has going on it may even go over the release date.

blue girl

i think if it was possible to run homebrew without giving any chances to run isos.. sony should be done this for ages now.. and the psp will be selling more than the DS.

and please dont be epocrite. there are lots o people saying they dont play isos, because its illegal, but they play GBA emu. i have bad news for those people its so illegal as ISOs...

and dont say things like "it will be hacked" " it will be a unhackeble hen" "it will load that and that, but not that"
we will not know till it be released so stop acting like u know everthing about a hack that u dont know nothing about.(no one know it doesnt exist yet)

u can ask as much as u like about the hen, but till it be finished. no one could know for sure about this new hen.
all u read on all net trey are supposition, conjecture, presumption, assumption, AKA nothing for sure.

MaxMouseDLL

[...] and dont say things like "it will be hacked" " it will be a unhackeble hen" "it will load that and that, but not that"
we will not know till it be released so stop acting like u know everthing about a hack that u dont know nothing about.(no one know it doesnt exist yet)

u can ask as much as u like about the hen, but till it be finished. no one could know for sure about this new hen.
all u read on all net trey are supposition, conjecture, presumption, assumption, AKA nothing for sure.

An unhackable HEN? i don't think so, if someone wants to make it load whatever then they eventually will, given enough time... unfortunately all it takes is time, someone will probably "Hack the Hack"... I'm actually on the fence about this now, Homebrew-only might encourage developers to actually write games worth playing...

Also, this threads title is "HEN Discussion", since all we have are conjecture and presumption etc then that's all this thread will contain until release.

fig2k4

Hi Davee, the first release is still scheduled for Tuesday then? I wasn't sure if it was just a rough guestimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.