• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

What phone do you use?

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Im using a Verizon Motorola Droid thats been rooted, customized, and the whole nine yards.

My contract is up in less than a month and im honestly sick of big companies charging me outrageous prices for shit I dont even use. Im probably going to just get some sort of go type of phone will unlimited texting and minutes that i can buy when i need them.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Finally smuggled it though without paying anything. Knew someone who brought in 3 phones. Unfortunately it came with 4.0.2 and can't be jailbroken. It's not that bad without jailbreaking, but it's still annoying.

Nice one on smuggling it in :|

Was there any particular features of jailbroken iOS that you wanted?

LocutusEstBorg

Nice one on smuggling it in :|

Was there any particular features of jailbroken iOS that you wanted?

The absence of SBSettings, Mercury Pro as deault browser, unlimited length ringtones, custom SMS tones, Lockdown Pro, Glassklart HD, YourTube, iFile and Flash are the biggest annoyances. Theres a crapload of other stuff that I don't remember.

As for piracy, I had already bought almost everything I felt I used so I can continue to use those right now until the next jailbreak is out. I don't think I'll even bother reinstalling the remaining stuff. I need it to be jailbroken because I simply can't afford to buy stuff without trying it first, and the device is pretty much useless without apps.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
The absence of SBSettings, Mercury Pro as deault browser, unlimited length ringtones, custom SMS tones, Lockdown Pro, Glassklart HD, YourTube, iFile and Flash are the biggest annoyances. Theres a crapload of other stuff that I don't remember.

As for piracy, I had already bought almost everything I felt I used so I can continue to use those right now until the next jailbreak is out. I don't think I'll even bother reinstalling the remaining stuff. I need it to be jailbroken because I simply can't afford to buy stuff without trying it first, and the device is pretty much useless without apps.

Heh, don't worry, I wasn't going to condemn you for piracy. I understand how things are kinda for you there so it's fine. Never heard of Mercury Pro or a lot of the others. The main thing I would like is custom SMS tones. I generally don't let my phone ring for more than 30 seconds though so unlimited length ringtones is kinda silly :p

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Me and Torch have had multi-pages arguements over piracy before, I wasn't going to start another.

I wasnt trying to argue over whether he does or does not, but I wanted to say that regardless of a persons position in any case whatsoever will not justify piracy

LocutusEstBorg

I wasnt trying to argue over whether he does or does not, but I wanted to say that regardless of a persons position in any case whatsoever will not justify piracy

When you earn 50x what I do, literally, there is no comparison. At all. Digital distribution is always priced like an American store and has almost zero scope in many other places. Boxed software is like 1/3rd the price or less in stores here.

Besides I have stuff on Cydia that I paid for and can't use right now.

MenaceInc

Staff Member

Accepting that he pirates is not justifying piracy and it's certainly not productive to have the same arguement again and again. I accept that he pirates and has his own reasons to.

I don't agree with them but I respect that he has a right to do whatever he wants.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
When you earn 50x what I do, literally, there is no comparison. At all.

Besides I have stuff on Cydia that I paid for and can't use right now.

Financial stability still doesn't justify piracy. The same way being broke doesn't justify burglary.

And I hardly doubt I make 50x more than you do. Maybe when it comes to currency exchange I might but when it comes to survival, I have just enough to scratch together each to survive. I buy $50 worth of food once every 2 months. The rest of my money is spent on not being homeless. Any money I do have to splurge is money I spent SAVING while I was at war.

So please, dont attempt to compare apples to oranges when my orange is just an apple with a different color

Menace, Torch: I wasnt saying Torch does pirate or not, I clearly said that wasnt the intention of my post. I simply just wanted to state that it doesnt matter who you are or more importantly, WHERE you are, piracy is still unethical.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Menace, Torch: I wasnt saying Torch does pirate or not, I clearly said that wasnt the intention of my post. I simply just wanted to state that it doesnt matter who you are or more importantly, WHERE you are, piracy is still unethical.

You came across as thinking that I was condoning piracy. I wasn't. I agree that piracy is piracy no matter where you are or your circumstances. However, like I said, me and Torch have talked about it a lot before. I'm tired of going through the same self-righteous bullshit trying to fight piracy. I'll buy my games and apps and let others do what they like. Live and let live.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You came across as thinking that I was condoning piracy. I wasn't. I agree that piracy is piracy no matter where you are or your circumstances. However, like I said, me and Torch have talked about it a lot before. I'm tired of going through the same self-righteous bullshit trying to fight piracy. I'll buy my games and apps and let others do what they like. Live and let live.

I understand you dont want to go through the motions all over again but you did pretty much submit to the idea that "since Torch is from India, you understand"... and that pretty much shows you dont care.

Im not trying to my own type of righteous here because I do pirate movies and i do have a few games on PSP that I have pirated, I just found how you said that statement to be a bit unnerving to me.

LocutusEstBorg

I think the iPhone is relatively unaffected by piracy. Almost all the useful apps and quality games are selling extremely well, and selling in millions. They've succeeded in penetrating developing economies because of low price and high volume.

Unethical and immoral are superficial and meaningless terms. Anything goes by me as long as you are not hurting someone financially or otherwise. Can you call a womanizing single man immoral? No, because you can't draw a clear line anywhere. Comparing piracy and burglary is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. It only amounts to "burglary" when you pirated something just because you were a cheapskate, not because you didn't have the money. Otherwise you just broke a law, not committed an unspeakably immoral act. If people really thought they were the same, it'd be like finding our your friend or relative was a burglar and they'd be shunned by society accordingly.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I think the iPhone is relatively unaffected by piracy. Almost all the useful apps and quality games are selling extremely well, and selling in millions. They've succeeded in penetrating developing economies because of low price and high volume.

Unethical and immoral are superficial and meaningless terms. Anything goes by me as long as you are not hurting someone financially or otherwise. Can you call a womanizing single man immoral? No, because you can't draw a clear line anywhere. Comparing piracy and burglary is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. It only amounts to "burglary" when you pirated something just because you were a cheapskate, not because you didn't have the money.

Wait let me this straight...

Did you REALLY just say that its ok to steal (because sorry to tell you Torch but piracy is stealing) if you cant afford it? However, if you are a cheapskate, its not okay? Did you really just create your own fence on the an EXTREMELY black and white GLOBALLY ENFORCED LAW?

Stealing is stealing Torch, when you take something that is being sold without paying, that is stealing.

LocutusEstBorg

Yes, illegal, NOT immoral depending on the context. Burglarizing a store on the other hand is immoral in all cases.

I only care if I do something I feel is immoral. My conscience is perfectly clean after a pirate something I'll never buy. All the apps I bought are converted sales after using the pirated version because I felt I would buy them even otherwise.

TeamOverload

iPhone 4 for me as well. Originally I had picked up the Droid X on Verizon, but found it to be too buggy for my liking. Had it for 3 days, and then cancelled that up and switched to ATT for the iPhone.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Yes, illegal, NOT immoral depending on the context. Burglarizing a store on the other hand is immoral in all cases.

I only care if I do something I feel is immoral. My conscience is perfectly clean after a pirate something I'll never buy. All the apps I bought are converted sales after using the pirated version because I felt I would buy them even otherwise.

Piracy and Burglary are BOTH illegal. Stealing from a store or not paying for an application or game is the exact same thing. You are stealing.

If apps where a packaged good, you are basically walking into a store and taking the product without paying and if you like it youll return to the store and pay, otherwise youll just throw it away. The fact that you dont see how immoral similarities between the two shows how you dont care. You are being hypocritical.

If you were to jsut admit that you dont give a shit about stealing then we can move passed this, but I know you arent going to because your conscience wont let you admit that, even though we both know that is the case. Youre using the fact that one is a digital good, and the other is a physical good for your own choosing, but it doesnt work like that