• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

What phone do you use?

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Nope not the same. The store paid for the boxed game and they directly lose money if it's stolen.

The store loses money because someone steals the product.

The makers of the digital good lose money because you didnt pay for it.

How are you not getting this?

Creators/Inventors/Developers they all have this thing called "royalties". It means that for every unit they sell, they can get a profit from it. That means after all the hard work they do, they make money off of what theyve accomplished in their trade. That means, when something is stolen, they dont earn money from it. This is the biggest case in the digital entertainment industry.

LocutusEstBorg

The makers of the digital good lose money because you didn't pay for it.
Only if I could have paid for it but refused to and downloaded it anyway. People in China and India and most Asian countries rarely buy anything. I live here I know first hand. They don't buy even if there is no pirated version. That is a hard fact over here. I'm one of them.

You'd have to visit a thousand homes before you find a PC with a genuine copy of Windows. Out of those few with original Windows, maybe a tiny fraction of them have other original applications. In fact, I've never even heard of a single person I know buying any original application other than Windows. Forget buying original at all. Its COMPLETELY out of the question here. Since the copy was sourced from the internet and not stolen from a store, there is no loss for anyone, hence not immoral.

I won't debate this any further. Any argument anyone presents is answered by this post.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Only if I could have paid for it but refused to and downloaded it anyway. People in China and India and most Asian countries, rarely buy anything. I live here I know first hand. They don't buy even if there is no pirated version. That is a hard fact over here. I'm one of them.

You'd have to visit a thousand homes before you find a PC with a genuine copy of Windows. Out of those few with original Windows, maybe a tiny fraction of them have other original applications.

When something is released FROM the author and has to be paid for but isnt, its called piracy. It doesnt matter what the product or unit is. Piracy = robbery = stealing. Look up how ever many definitions you want to, they will all say the same thing.

And just because its socially acceptable to steal in your backwards ass side of the world doesnt make it okay. I thought you were well educated but its obvious you are just slave to your culture with that type of logic you just stated.

"Hey everyone, lets all go rape some women because a bunch of other people are doing it."

Youre smart enough to know the difference from right and wrong but you are refusing to accept it, thats worse than a child. At least a child feels remorse when they commit a wrong act.

LocutusEstBorg

You are forgetting one important thing. Most software and games are not even sold here. We were never considered as a source of profit to begin with.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You are forgetting one important thing. Most software and games are not even sold here. We were never considered as a source of profit to begin with.

Just because you arent into the demography for the fiscal year does not mean you are exempt from laws. Geographic location still does not justify stealing. If something you want is not near you, you pay to bring it to you.

You keep trying to convince yourself that because you live India you get the right to bend the rules... maybe one day that will be true

LocutusEstBorg

That's like trying to sell a barrel of American oil in Venezuela at your price. People are just going to go "LOL" and move along. If the price is not adjusted to the cost of living, it's not going to be bought. No one will blow an entire month's salary on a original copy of Windows. You on the other hand can buy 50 copies of Windows a month with your net salary.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
That's like trying to sell a barrel of American oil in Venezuela at your price. People are just going to go "LOL" and move along. If the price is not adjusted to the cost of living, it's not going to be bought. No one will blow an entire month's salary on a original copy of Windows. You on the other hand can buy 50 copies of Windows a month with your net salary.

Actually, no, thats exactly how it works. If you want something that is not sold where you are, you pay for it for the price it is sold elsewhere. This is how business works.

Your problem is that you want modern age products in an non modern age country. If you dont like the fact that the world doesnt want to trade with your third world country than maybe your countries peoples should work on a way to bring India into the light of a first world county development so the rest of us can trade with you on a regular basis. Ive been to other countries with economies no better, some worse than yours and the currency difference is not that far off from my own. The problem is India, the sooner you realize that the better off youll be. Maybe the lifestyle you lead is not suitable for your country. A move to another part of the world might do you good.

Torch, you dont seem to realize that nobody BUYS software, they are buying the license to use it. If you dont buy the software in some way, then you are stealing regardless of where its sources. Physical formats are just a way of distribution, not the actual product itself. Read the EULA's, you dont buy the software, just the right to use it. Thus, when you dont pay for software, you dont pay for the rights to use it and you DONT PAY THE PEOPLE WHO MADE IT and they lose money.

And please, keep your sympathy game else where. I eat dehydrated noodles and fill a pitcher with water to drink. I cant afford food. The only reason I can live the way I do is because of the savings ive saved in my last job. I have the cheapest available cell phone plan. I dont have a car. I can only afford to go to school because of grants. I cant afford anything, any time I want to splurge I have to use my savings. Dont give me that "you guys can afford anything you want" bullshit. The money I earned each month is enough to keep me afloat. Theres more important things to life than games, and phones.

LocutusEstBorg

That again reinforces the fact that it's just illegal, not immoral. They don't want our business, we make a copy, no one loses. You are the one who cannot see the difference, not me.

I am by no means poor. The fact that foreign stuff costs an insane amount of local currency just goes to show how outrageously inflated your economy is, and you just cannot push your goods here at that rate.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
You admit that its illegal yet admit you feel its not immoral? I cant grasp how your opinion can be formed around this

eldiablov

Contributor
You admit that its illegal yet admit you feel its not immoral? I cant grasp how your opinion can be formed around this

Smoking weed is illegal in a lot of places but that's not immoral. I guess some crimes can fit that description. Piracy, however, does not.

LocutusEstBorg

You should be bashing homebrew developers for making ELFs with the leaked PS3 SDK. I'm sure you think they should have paid $10000 for the privilege to do so. You're just another kind of fundamentalist.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Im not saying piracy is so strong against my opinions that it shouldn't be done, the whole point of this was that piracy is NOT OKAY, whether you or I or anyone does it is not the point - its the fact that you refuse to see that it is immoral

Torch, I just told this to Andy. If you busted your ass making an application or game, and then 6 million people pirated it and now can play your game and use your app without paying - how would you feel?

It only amounts to "burglary" when you pirated something just because you were a cheapskate

I am by no means poor.

Aside from being hypocritical, you should have no excuse whatsoever to complain about prices or pirate

LocutusEstBorg

How convenient of you to take something out of context and hail on it when you've run out of gas.

Just because I can lead I better lifestyle than you thanks to a significantly lower cost of living, it doesn't mean I'm expected to pay exorbitant amounts of money for foreign software. If that were the case, you'd all be rolling in dough right now since 1/5th of the world's population lives here and would be buying your software.

Your minimum wage per month is 10 times what a people make here with an average IT job. Go clean a toilet for a couple of months and immigrate to here with all your cash if you have to. You'd still be richer than all of us.

Seth

MD Party Room
Samsung Epic 4G

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
How convenient of you to take something out of context and hail on it when you've run out of gas.

Just because I can lead I better lifestyle than you thanks to a significantly lower cost of living, it doesn't mean I'm expected to pay exorbitant amounts of money for foreign software. If that were the case, you'd all be rolling in dough right now since 1/5th of the world's population lives here and would be buying your software.

Your minimum wage per month is 10 times what a people make here with an average IT job. Go clean a toilet for a couple of months and immigrate to here with all your cash if you have to. You'd still be richer than all of us.

Out of context? No actually both quotes were absolutely relevant to one another. You damn people for being cheap and pirating but then have no excuse for doing it yourself.

You think because India is a third world country you have the right to not pay for software - plain and simple that is your logic out of this conversation.

How are you going to compare the economy of a first world country to that of a third world? Compare England to India. Compare Russia to India, it doesnt matter because no matter what country you think is inflated so high, its not their fault that YOUR economy is shit. The rest of the world can not seek a profit selling shit in India - whos fault is that? Not ours. Fix your countries policy on economical development and then maybe you guys can join the rest of the us ay the big boy table.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Just got one of these yesterday:

10651786-blackberry-curve-8520.jpg

Seth

MD Party Room
How was that phone? It looked pretty good, but I couldn't bring myself to go with Sprint.

Phones pretty good, I say about 60% of my time useing the phone has been to tweak it to my needs I seem to spend a crap amount of time playing with the setting, or making tasker scripts, to setting up my homescreen with the right widget. So setting auto sync to 5 apps but removeing it from others. To trying out tons of launchers and making icons for those launchers. Or just trying 5 apps that pretty much do the same thing and spending hours with all of them and removing the rest. I have well spent about 150 hours tweaking my phone to my needs and I feel there is still much more to be done. Also learning how to mange your battery wisely is a major pain in the ass even if I carry a spare battery. Over all I loveing the phone I just wish there wasent as much work to the phone to get it to fit my needs.

Also sprint is pretty good in my area and had them before getting the epic..