• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Windows 7 Discussion [Screenshots Enclosed]

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I heard, because it's on TechNet, that it was just for them, but the link got out and other people managed to download.

I don't think it's the technet version, because it says on that page "if you are a technet subscriber click here to download."

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
isnt it the same as beta build 7000.

Its faster from a torrent site. i have it installed on virtualbox but i cant install on my pc i dont have a dvd.

It's the same as the 7000 build and was supposed to come out at 12pm today but was let out early for who knows what reason. This is the latest beta though, and I'm currently running it on my laptop - love it (aside from a few things that I hope can get tweaked later)

Seth

MD Party Room
It's the same as the 7000 build and was supposed to come out at 12pm today but was let out early for who knows what reason. This is the latest beta though, and I'm currently running it on my laptop - love it (aside from a few things that I hope can get tweaked later)

Have you grown to the task bar yet?

Additional Comment:
windows_7.png

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Have you grown to the task bar yet?

Additional Comment:
[qimg]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png[/qimg]

You can make the icons smaller and minimize the taskbar to the size of the standard one you see on Windows XP and Vista, the only complaints I have are: Quick Launch Icons have more space before and after each icon and there's no option to group the windows while maintaining the title in the taskbar

EvilSeph

Administrator

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm already finding a few things wrong with W7, one most likely relating to my video card driver but the other one has to do with UAC and gadgets. At this time you are unable to use the Gadgets with UAC disabled - there is a work-around online but even that has some issues and isn't exactly an "easy" fix.

Greyone

I'm already finding a few things wrong with W7, one most likely relating to my video card driver but the other one has to do with UAC and gadgets. At this time you are unable to use the Gadgets with UAC disabled - there is a work-around online but even that has some issues and isn't exactly an "easy" fix.

Do you really need UAC disabled ? I haven't had any problems with it.

I am also having video driver issues, but it's probably because intel never made a vista driver either. Plus it's a pos integrated graphics.

Greyone

wow, i just used windows update after reinstalling windows and using my key. And guess what, there was actually a driver for my IGP. Now there are no more crashes while playing videos.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Do you really need UAC disabled ? I haven't had any problems with it.

I am also having video driver issues, but it's probably because intel never made a vista driver either. Plus it's a pos integrated graphics.

I always disable UAC (although EvilSeph yells at me for it). I know what I'm installing and generally what's going on with my computer - my AV usually picks up any unauthorized program installations so UAC is really unnecessary for me. Although I now have it set to the second to last option and find it much more bearable as it no longer blacks the screen out to show the dialog box.

I'm having some issues when waking up from sleep and as a result it froze on me. I've updated the video drivers so it's a bit annoying to have this happen and will have to look into it some more to see what is exactly causing the problem.

chrono6456

I think the beta is good, but basically, just what Vista should have been. I still think of it as a really big update and tune up to vista being marketed as a new operating system.