• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[RELEASE] 5.03 TIFF Hello World

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxMouseDLL

Yeah, I am. Do you believe it is a waste of exploit?

Definitely NOT. I think that as long as the scene has an ace up it's sleeve (The "Other" kernel mode exploit) and that ace is in the hands of a select few, reliable individuals, then new work should be released. I've been privy to this TIFF exploit since it's "It's just a crash right now but..." stage, to be honest I'm excited about it and would like to see it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Definitely NOT. I think that as long as the scene has an ace up it's sleeve (The "Other" kernel mode exploit) and that ace is in the hands of a select few, reliable individuals, then new work should be released. I've been privy to this TIFF exploit since it's "It's just a crash right now but..." stage, to be honest I'm excited about it and would like to see it.

Rumor had it that 5.03 would be the last update that Sony releases for the PSP until...well until something else ;) So there was no harm to the scene in releasing an exploit now, even if we had no others up our sleeves.

MaxMouseDLL

Rumor had it that 5.03 would be the last update that Sony releases for the PSP until...well until something else ;) So there was no harm to the scene in releasing an exploit now, even if we had no others up our sleeves.

I was never saying any release would harm the scene, it isn't my place. Just that I've been following this particular exploit avidly and was wondering what the ultimate outcome was, there is a kernel-mode exploit "On the shelf" beside this, and as long as that (or more) is/are there then the only thing that can come of this release is good... I'm just anxious to play with it.

Adiuvo

It allows you to play homebrew. Without it, you can't do anything with the exploit.

apex

Do we really want this "HEN", how does this really affects us?

Of course, the community creates there own "app store" for the PSP!

Since Sony wouldn't let us have an PSP Store, or allow Homebrew it has to go trough a HEN or CFW!

MaxMouseDLL

Do we really want this "HEN", how does this really affects us?

It doesn't affect us, It's necessary for the advancement of the scene

Of course we want. It means CFW for all TA79 to TA 88v2 without having to buy/build pandora.

And it means Homebrew on the 3k and v3 :tup:

Actually it means unsigned code execution on all current PSP motherboards regardless of firmware (there is probably a lower limit on firmware though), It doesn't mean custom firmware.

G0l3m

Actually it means unsigned code execution on all current PSP motherboards regardless of firmware (there is probably a lower limit on firmware though), It doesn't mean custom firmware.

Well the first thing i will try is to run Hellcats Recorvery Flasher and then I am on CFW :D

MaxMouseDLL

Well the first thing i will try is to run Hellcats Recorvery Flasher and then I am on CFW :D

Well.. TA-088v3 and TA-090v2 motherboards have patched pre-ipl/ipl security, if you run hellcats flasher and flash that to your nand you'll have an unrecoverable brick because on reboot the custom IPL will fail authentication, when this hen is released things like this should be made CRYSTAL clear.

abchopra2010

It would be better if davee releases the HEN soon.. or this thread will go into the hundreds by tuesday. Lol.. :)

G0l3m

Thats what i wrote about 40 pages ago and why i meant CFW for TA 79 to 88v2 and homebrew for the rest.

I totaly agree with you, that if HEN is released there has to be a even bigger warning sign for all TA 88v3 , TA 90 and PSP 3k NOT TO use any flasher.

You allready mentioned why.

lilspanyol

May I ask not to post bad things about HEN :eek:
IMAGINE : No HEN :cry:

Probally wont happen , 'cus I believe in Davee , he's Genius!

*moves DAX posters and puts Davee posters*

Adiuvo

I'm sorry, but what is a flasher and what does it do?

A flasher in a general sense is an application that 'flashes' files to the PSPs flash memory (hence the name). Think of the flash memory as the WINDOWS folder on your hardrive if you use Windows; it contains all important data for the PSP to actually run.

I have a crazy Q..

Through this next kernel mode exploit wouldn't be the possibility to run an ORIGINAL firmware to downgrade the ta88v3 and 3k ???
I mean i updated my psp since the first day i got it but now that I know that it was a mistake i

MaxMouseDLL

A flasher in a general sense is an application that 'flashes' files to the PSPs flash memory (hence the name). Think of the flash memory as the WINDOWS folder on your hardrive if you use Windows; it contains all important data for the PSP to actually run.

uh hu, and imagine the IPL is like the master boot record (MBR), if the MBR fails, then boot fails... (Only on the PSP it'll fail because it won't pass security authentication) this is what will happen should any custom firmware be flashed (In any way) to a TA-088v3 or a TA-090v2.

I have a crazy Q..

Through this next kernel mode exploit wouldn't be the possibility to run an ORIGINAL firmware to downgrade the ta88v3 and 3k ???
I mean i updated my psp since the first day i got it but now that I know that it was a mistake i

anon2146

uh hu, and imagine the IPL is like the master boot record (MBR), if the MBR fails, then boot fails... (Only on the PSP it'll fail because it won't pass security authentication) this is what will happen should any custom firmware be flashed (In any way) to a TA-088v3 or a TA-090v2.

And the PRE-IPL is like a Read Only BIOS in some sort of crazy Trusted Computing set up where if the MBR doesn't match a signature or whatever security the PRE-IPL is checking then the entire boot process stops there. I still dont fully understand why a CFW has to use a new IPL and not just alter the OFW in ways that allow for similar functionality of the CFW? IE, allowing custom PSX PBPs and using unsigned ISO PBPs and homebrew. Again, Im not a developer so I might of just sounded like an idiot, and even if this is not possible I still wait patiently like many to see the HEN.

wimat

And by running a flasher, it will write files to your flash memory. So it will break down security and let you install Custom FW. OMG whoever made this is a genius!!

BTW: I've read somewhere that it was Dark Alex. Any truth to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.