• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gay rights, your view?

FreePlay

Are you talking about Prop. 8? Because that's not true. Civil unions are still legal.

Frankly I think civil unions are all the government should assign, with equal rights for everyone. If marriage is an inherently religious thing, let the people who want it to be a marriage have a religious ceremony and call it that. The government shouldn't be assigning marriage licenses if marriage is a religious construct.

Terra

Slasher said:
I think you deserve an award for being the most eldest member of a forum that I have ever seen. Married in the early 60's? My parents weren't even born until 1970

I'll take that as a compliment mate. I'd be a feeble basket weaver though if I didn't have access to these debates. The brain needs sustenance.

I'm also a moderator on a boxing forum, so I'll blame that if I start jibbering.:D

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
I think that gays should have rights like any other couple. There is nothing. Absolutely nothing that should prevent that. Marriage is a bond that's spiritual in the sense of two feeling connected. That shouldn't filter out a certain group for their beliefs and preferences. It's that simple.

eighty4

TheMysteriousThug said:
I think that gays should have rights like any other couple. There is nothing. Absolutely nothing that should prevent that. Marriage is a bond that's spiritual in the sense of two feeling connected. That shouldn't filter out a certain group for their beliefs and preferences. It's that simple.
You believe that's simple? Most places believe that marriage is a bond between two people RELIGIOUSLY. And I know you don't believe in the Bible or anything of that sort and only wish to please yourself (satanism), but either or it's not simple at all when places built on following the way things are have the mindset of "change is bad". Also, marriage isn't between two people being connected - hell, I'm connected to alot of guys as friends but I would never dare marry them or have sexual relations with them in anyway.

I'm against gay marriage as an individual but my views have no stance in what the court decides in California or Massachusetts etc, so I don't bother.

Also, you need to use more commas rather than periods.

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
That is you argument and your beliefs and I do not wish to impose and I'm just sharing my opinion like the rest of us are. If this was QJ this thread would of never made it past the 2nd page.

But on topic. I'm not satanist. Your knowledge is narrow-minded and misguided. And it's a shame that 2 people who are more devoted than 2 other people who have different body parts and not be allowed rights to see their lover in the hospital or for that matter have something to show their connection and love for one another. You took what I said and didn't take what I mean, so therefore, :p

COMMAS BITCH

eighty4

TheMysteriousThug said:
That is you argument and your beliefs and I do not wish to impose and I'm just sharing my opinion like the rest of us are. If this was QJ this thread would of never made it past the 2nd page.

But on topic. I'm not satanist. Your knowledge is narrow-minded and misguided. And it's a shame that 2 people who are more devoted than 2 other people who have different body parts and not be allowed rights to see their lover in the hospital or for that matter have something to show their connection and love for one another. You took what I said and didn't take what I mean, so therefore, :p

COMMAS BITCH
You're not? Have you converted? On our last AIM conversation you willing said that you don't believe in Adam and Eve and insist on pleasing yourself. Then said "And apparently that's Satanism."

I don't care on limitations of gays. I don't support it to any extent or anyway. Two people who can't make a baby themselves should not be married in my opinion.

Also, you expect me to read something, and use my magical powers to find out what you meant rather than wrote. Hilarious.

Terra

TheMysteriousThug said:

How is it "That simple"

I've already stated what society regards as a marriage. A legal bond between Heterosexuals.
Various cultures all over the world have restrictions based on accepted standards. Religious & Gender.

What makes homosexuals any different from just two friends of the same sex living together?

eighty4

Terra said:
How is it "That simple"

I've already stated what society regards as a marriage. A legal bond between Heterosexuals.
Various cultures all over the world have restrictions based on accepted standards. Religious & Gender.

What makes homosexuals any different from just two friends of the same sex living together?
The touching, feeling, talking, and sharing of the same straw.

my opinion, pure and simple:

Government, marriage rights to all, gay or straight.
Religion/Church, have their own set of marriage restrictions or limits.

Terra

Hiratai said:
The touching, feeling, talking, and sharing of the same straw.

These are personal interactions. I've had the same experiences with my brothers & sisters, whom I have great affection for.

What we are stepping around here is sexual interaction.

If we are to continue to stretch the boundaries of what goes on behind closed doors, you can soon expect them to be kicked down.

The Gay movement would be far better served by the introduction of an alternative relationship rights.
They would get a lot more support from Heterosexuals, & ultimately, what they want.
They need to build their own house, not demand to live in someone else's, & I think that's the feeling of the broader community.
JMO

Joey

Look, I give less than a fuck what chruches want to recognize... If ANY benefit is offered by the gonvernment, then nobody should be excluded from it based on any minority subset they may be apart of.

If this is a debate on weather churches should recongnize gay marriage, then I agree, it's a stupid arguement... They shouldn't be forced to recognize anything. But what I want to know, plain and simply, is that does a civil union entitle a gay couple to EVERYTHING marriage does to a straight couple? If there is a single discrepency between the two, then banning marriage is wrong, end of story.

Once again, I don't give a fuck about the chruch. I'm stictly talking about governmental benefits.

Joey

Terra said:
These are personal interactions. I've had the same experiences with my brothers & sisters, whom I have great affection for.

What we are stepping around here is sexual interaction.

If we are to continue to stretch the boundaries of what goes on behind closed doors, you can soon expect them to be kicked down.

The Gay movement would be far better served by the introduction of an alternative relationship rights.
They would get a lot more support from Heterosexuals, & ultimately, what they want.
They need to build their own house, not demand to live in someone else's, & I think that's the feeling of the broader community.
JMO
What the fuck are you talking about? A gay, married couple could live next door to you, and you could never know it. How the fuck does a gay couple getting married affect YOU in any way?

Once again, I don't think churches should be forced to recognize anyhting, but I still don't think they have a valid arguement as to why they don't. If marriage isn't available to everybody, then it has no business being a federal institution...

Terra

Joey said:
What the fuck are you talking about? A gay, married couple could live next door to you, and you could never know it. How the fuck does a gay couple getting married affect YOU in any way?

Once again, I don't think churches should be forced to recognize anyhting, but I still don't think they have a valid arguement as to why they don't. If marriage isn't available to everybody, then it has no business being a federal institution...

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Therein lies the problem. You are not interested in how other people, society in general, feel about the meaning of marriage.

Don't you get it mate? They want it left as it was legislated. To define a heterosexual union.

And frankly, you're addressing the wrong fella about being affected by Gay's.
I have two relatives that are gay & we get on great. I also spent 20 years as a merchant seamen & sailed with heaps of them & never met a bad one.
Oh, & I have had gays virtually living next door to me, in an apartment block.

I'm not your enemy or your supporter, I'm just expressing an opinion that I think would give you a better chance of success.
But, if you want to press on. Good luck.

But as my late father would say, "Being able to whistle doesn't make you a canary"

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Joey said:
But what I want to know, plain and simply, is that does a civil union entitle a gay couple to EVERYTHING marriage does to a straight couple? If there is a single discrepency between the two, then banning marriage is wrong, end of story..
in some states they are equal, not in others. but even if they're =, isn't that basically 'separate but equal'

in essence, we have moved from "stay away from me you ni**er, you don't deserve rights" to "stay away from me you queer, you don't deserve rights"

Noriyuke

I just browsed the first few pages, i don't want to get into this too much, but i would like to point out my opinion.

Gays - Let em get married, if in japan people can marry cartoon characters, then gays get the right in the states to marry. I mean think about it, what if, by some insane means the next Albert Einstein is gay, and hes unhappy because he cant get married to Bob in Florida, hes going to move to another country that wants his knowledge on whatever (Germany?) to get married and then gladly sell his knowledge to the next hitler because the next hitler gave him peace of mind on his marriage.

I know that was a little out there, but i hope it shows my point. if you don't make your fellow countryman happy, they wont do shit for you. In japan they try please their people as much as fucking possible to keep them in their borders. They even let em out for while Knowing full well that some will eventually come back.

Abortion - I agree it being the females choice in the matter, but if the male who impregnated her is there supporting her, he deserves some kind of say. Today's legal system can definitely create some sort of system that will prove that the male is willing to participate in the child's life.

FreePlay

Hiratai said:
I don't care on limitations of gays. I don't support it to any extent or anyway. Two people who can't make a baby themselves should not be married in my opinion.
How incredibly small-minded of you.

Plenty of heterosexual couples can't have children. The ability to produce offspring should have no bearing on the ability to marry.

Gay people aren't asking for special privileges. They're asking to be able to enter into a legally-recognized partnership with the person they love, just like heterosexuals can.

How would you like it if a proposition passed that defined marriage as between a man and a man or a man and a woman, and stripped away your right to enter into a heterosexual marriage, complete with all the legal benefits?

This issue is so petty and so stupid. So many religious conservatives are perfectly willing to allow gay civil unions with rights equal to those of marriages, but not actual gay marriages. They're getting their knickers in a twist over the goddamn word 'marriage'.

Joey

Terra said:
"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Therein lies the problem. You are not interested in how other people, society in general, feel about the meaning of marriage.

Don't you get it mate? They want it left as it was legislated. To define a heterosexual union.

And frankly, you're addressing the wrong fella about being affected by Gay's.
I have two relatives that are gay & we get on great. I also spent 20 years as a merchant seamen & sailed with heaps of them & never met a bad one.
Oh, & I have had gays virtually living next door to me, in an apartment block.

I'm not your enemy or your supporter, I'm just expressing an opinion that I think would give you a better chance of success.
But, if you want to press on. Good luck.

But as my late father would say, "Being able to whistle doesn't make you a canary"
How they feel doesn't matter... Unfair is unfair, and it's not their rights we're voting on...

This is equivalent to letting white people vote on abolishing slavery. Actually, with slavery white people actually got something (free labor)... In this case, it's completely spiteful. "You're gay, and I don't think you should be allowed to marry"... I don't care if that's how the majority of society feels, the majority of society can be wrong.

Once again, you have yet to acknowledge what it is heterosexual's are losing by allowing gay marriage. What these motherfuckers do in their churches is their business, but when it comes to the federal government EVERYBODY should have the same rights, period, end of fucking story. I don't care what they want, it's not fair, and it shouldn't be their choice.

I don't tell churches how to run their shit, and they shouldn't be telling us who the fuck we can and cannot marry.

eighty4

FreePlay said:
How incredibly small-minded of you.

Plenty of heterosexual couples can't have children. The ability to produce offspring should have no bearing on the ability to marry.

Gay people aren't asking for special privileges. They're asking to be able to enter into a legally-recognized partnership with the person they love, just like heterosexuals can.

How would you like it if a proposition passed that defined marriage as between a man and a man or a man and a woman, and stripped away your right to enter into a heterosexual marriage, complete with all the legal benefits?

This issue is so petty and so stupid. So many religious conservatives are perfectly willing to allow gay civil unions with rights equal to those of marriages, but not actual gay marriages. They're getting their knickers in a twist over the goddamn word 'marriage'.

Is wasn't mean to be taken in a literal stance rather than it was meant to show the same way as Johnny Cochran said "If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit".

As for abortion, I think it should be up to the mother unless she willing had sex with someone and got impregnated. Getting drunk and having a baby is one way I find abortion to be fine, but having sex with someone, getting impregnated, and then a week after you hate the guy so you get an abortion is fucked up.