• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cloudy

Can confirm that it works. Installs into the UPDATE folder. Stores an id.txt on the memory stick, and a License.dat is downloaded online from datels server.

Adiuvo

Is anything custom possible with this?

SilverSpring

Seems they have done it for real. If so, it's finally game over for SCE. There's nothing they can do to stop it.

Probably fw updates will attempt to block it, however all Datel need to do is release an new update. They can sign any code they want now.

Well, a congratulations I guess. They've finally done what was the 'Holy Grail' of the PSP scene. Pretty impressive work :p

n00b81

Seems they have done it for real. If so, it's finally game over for SCE. There's nothing they can do to stop it.

Probably fw updates will attempt to block it, however all Datel need to do is release an new update. They can sign any code they want now.

Well, a congratulations I guess. They've finally done what was the 'Holy Grail' of the PSP scene. Pretty impressive work :p

Yeah, congrats to them. But do you think we will benefit from this, or not? :/

Adiuvo

So full on custom firmware isn't possible with this? That's a good thing I guess, since people will actually have to buy games.

SilverSpring

So full on custom firmware isn't possible with this? That's a good thing I guess, since people will actually have to buy games.

It's possible for Datel to release their own fully signed/encrypted cfw, but unless they plan to share their little secret with us (which they never will since they're too busy making a nice little sum out of it) we won't be able to take advantage of being able to sign our own code.

Hellcat

Contributor
:eek:
Wait.... what.... no.... FOR REAL?!?!?

Dunno what to say....
/me orders one

I want to sign my code too.... :confused:

InfinitiProject

"Whoa is that a girl on this team!?"
I'm sorta confused. So (for example) basically they can make and sell homebrew and they'll run on all PSPs including the Go since they have the ability to sign anything?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have a feeling Sony won't take very kindly to this. Sony has not given them a license or authorization to produce products for the PSP. Seeing it'd probably be futile to try and block this at the firmware level, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony takes Datel to court over this. With the implications it has, they have a good case.

Either way nice discovery by Datel. I wonder how they did it but as SilverSpring pointed out there's no chance they will divulge that information.

Bubbletune

I have a feeling Sony won't take very kindly to this. Sony has not given them a license or authorization to produce products for the PSP. Seeing it'd probably be futile to try and block this at the firmware level, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony takes Datel to court over this. With the implications it has, they have a good case.

Either way nice discovery by Datel. I wonder how they did it but as SilverSpring pointed out there's no chance they will divulge that information.

Dragging them to court over this would only give more publicity, though. Certainly something Sony is not looking for.

Slim02

Wow, and I was under the impression that their work is based on other peoples code.

Kudos to them!

That what you get for thinking lol.. They be around longer then homebrew.. They where making cheating devices before the internet even took off..

Slim02

So it works? Doesn't surprise me. Datel like the above person said has been around for a long time.

So what does it do exactly?

Yea it works.. I have the old version and hated it. I bought the new version and it is way better.. Also you have to reinstall it on the PSP when you updated your firmware on the PSP.. I was running on 6.10 and updated to 6.20.. That the only pain put lot easier then switching the battery back and forth.. Also you get to use your own MS not like the cheap one that came with the old version of the Action Replay..

WalangAlam

so did they crack the kirk crypto engine?

Im not too surprised i guess with all the money that they have (and the money that they will get from it). they must have a whole R&D department, with talented people, who worked on it. now its the other way around, psp scene decrypting datel's work.

Bubbletune

so did they crack the kirk crypto engine?

Im not too surprised i guess with all the money that they have (and the money that they will get from it). they must have a whole R&D department, with talented people, who worked on it. now its the other way around, psp scene decrypting datel's work.

Not really. They're encrypted just like Sony PRX's, and Sony PRX's have been around for five years. It didn't make it possible to just figure out how to encrypt our own, and neither will this.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They most likely figured out how to completely dump the pre-IPL through hardware means, which after further research allowed them to forge Sony's encryption signature. You may remember "brokencodes" who put a great deal of research into this.