• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi Final Fantasy XIII

El Diablo

When I went to buy mine the guy at the desk told me someone had already traded one in for the ps3 and I could have gotten it for like 10 bucks but he forgot about it until I was almost out the door :(. 25 bucks for it is still good enough for me though.

Also fuck the reviewers.

El Diablo

I really love this game...while I can see why reviewers would be upset with how it spoon feeds you everything for the first chunk of the game, the storyline and battle system more than make up for it. I'm 6 and a half hours through the game and they're still giving me tutorials on how to do things, but this battle system is one of the most difficult to use and get used to that I've used in FF so they kind of have to at the beginning. One of the things I really love is the split story line and how it goes back and forth between a couple "main" people with their own separate adventures until they meet up and split up again, and have all the flash backs. One other thing I can agree with the reviewers on though is how linear it is, atleast the other games gave you the impression that it was a wide open world you could explore and had some areas and cities that weren't just one path, but so far the entire game has been one straight path telling me where to go.

All in all though the game is amazing and if you're a fan of RPGs and or Final Fantasy games, don't be put off by the reviews it's still definitely worth playing.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I won't be picking this one up like, ever.

I'm passing a financial crisis so I cut on my videogames dose and that means only buying games who are actually worth my money.

Good to know people here are liking the game, but it's too linear for my taste. Focuses too much on combat. No originalilty whatsoever put into this one (besides from the black guy and the rebel-looking-bahamut-summoning chick all the characters look the same). Also replayability is beyond awful. I'd much rather spend my time playing Heavy Rain or some Burnout with my friends.

Also take the chance while you can to enjoy good music in FF games since this one should be the last. Squeenix sacked their entire music department.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I'm not a fan of 'turn'-based (real time or otherwise) type games so I couldn't get into this game at all, which sucks because it looks so good and I want to see where the story goes. I'd rather watch this game, then actually play it. Although it wouldn't be true to the series, I'd much rather have a Kingdom Hearts battle system.

And To anyone who bought the game, what is the number in the very bottom right corner for the Product Registration Card for you. I bought both the 360 and PS3 version and mixed up the codes by accident (mine are 91002 and 91001)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
SE shipped out my review copy today, looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Slasher

Suck It
I was really planning on buying this game up until hearing some of the fundamental things that made FF what it is to me were cut from the game altogether, I'm really not very interested in this game anymore

AI controlled battles? Okay, no problem...

No cities/towns to roam around and talk to AI? What.

No free roaming? No exploration? Linear!?

No random battles? Everything is predetermined!? Do you even level up in this game anymore?

It's a wonder they decided to keep a story in place. I'm having a real hard time getting past these very key pieces of what made Final Fantasy, well, Final Fantasy to me. Probably not going to be buying this anymore.

El Diablo

In all fairness though most FF games are linear and don't give you a whole lot of free roaming. The random battle system being changed can be both good and bad in the sense that you don't spend hours trying to get through one zone because you get into a fight every 5 steps, but at the same time it doesn't feel FF-ish without it, it does suck that everything is pre determined, they could have atleast had the groups of enemies randomly generated. Then again the way they changed leveling in this game there they don't really need there to be random battles since there's a limit of how many points you can spend etc so there's no need to really farm enemies to keep leveling (can be both good and bad depending how you look at it. When they first changed the way you get into fights in XII it was worse imo however.

How come you bought the game for both systems if you don't plan on playing it Sous? Just curious. I got the game for ps3 and my code in the corner is 91001. Also, I think XXII Versus is supposed to have a Kingdom Hearts type combat system (I don't know what that is though, never got around to playing them).

Either way even though it isn't the same old FF it's still a great game and some change is good every once in a while instead of the same thing every single time.

Scorned

I was really planning on buying this game up until hearing some of the fundamental things that made FF what it is to me were cut from the game altogether, I'm really not very interested in this game anymore

AI controlled battles? Okay, no problem...

No cities/towns to roam around and talk to AI? What.

No free roaming? No exploration? Linear!?

No random battles? Everything is predetermined!? Do you even level up in this game anymore?

It's a wonder they decided to keep a story in place. I'm having a real hard time getting past these very key pieces of what made Final Fantasy, well, Final Fantasy to me. Probably not going to be buying this anymore.

I don't play this as a Final Fantasy game, I'm playing it as...a game.

Final Fantasy games weren't the same after 9, not necessarily bad or anything, just began straying from the basic Final Fantasy rituals.

And Linearity began at 10, I don't think that should've been a surprise. I can't say much though only being a few hours in.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
How come you bought the game for both systems if you don't plan on playing it Sous? Just curious. I got the game for ps3 and my code in the corner is 91001. Also, I think XXII Versus is supposed to have a Kingdom Hearts type combat system (I don't know what that is though, never got around to playing them).
Thanks for the number
I get to try out most newly released games for free for a week, so I do that whenever I can, even if I'm not interested in a game.
And I was planing on playing and comparing the two versions, but I just can't get into the battle system to want to do that anymore

El Diablo

I like Scorneds take on it, playing it as an RPG game and not necessarily a Final Fantasy game.

I know the FFs before 10 had openness in terms of they had a big world map to run around in, but as soon as you "zoned" into a forest or some type of area it would just turn into the same type of linearness that the current ones have pretty much.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I like Scorneds take on it, playing it as an RPG game and not necessarily a Final Fantasy game.

Even as a RPG this game is very weak because:

1 - No exploration/linearity.

RPG's are all about exploration and monster looting, treasure finding ect... Take that away and part of the RPG spirit is taken away as well. And no towns/shops? Seriously? What's there to see in this game then?

2 - Bland character design.

Epic yay. All my characters are boring and look exactly the same. Except for the black guy and the rebel chick (even though the chick is close from the others).

3 - Focuses too much on combat.

This game focuses too much on combat because it has nothing else going for it. I agree that the combat system looks awesome, but it's rendered useless because of the no random encounters thing.

My GF wants to try this game out so I might get it if I find it very cheap... But I don't think I will enjoy it at all.. But that's a very big if.

TeamOverload

I'm not a fan of 'turn'-based (real time or otherwise) type games so I couldn't get into this game at all, which sucks because it looks so good and I want to see where the story goes. I'd rather watch this game, then actually play it. Although it wouldn't be true to the series, I'd much rather have a Kingdom Hearts battle system.

And To anyone who bought the game, what is the number in the very bottom right corner for the Product Registration Card for you. I bought both the 360 and PS3 version and mixed up the codes by accident (mine are 91002 and 91001)

You should wait for Final Fantasy Versus XIII then, which although follows a completely different story is still looking like an incredible game. It's much darker and features a battle system that is said to be similar to Kingdom Hearts.

Slasher

Suck It
I don't play this as a Final Fantasy game, I'm playing it as...a game..

Similar to what Kezra mentioned - Even when playing this game as just an RPG and leaving the Final Fantasy name out of the mix, with all of these things removed it just seems unattractive to say the least. I was going to buy it, but after hearing these things, I'm not going to anymore.

Maybe I'll rent it to give it a try.

Sinfulfate

RPG's are all about exploration and monster looting, treasure finding ect... Take that away and part of the RPG spirit is taken away as well. And no towns/shops? Seriously? What's there to see in this game then?

Epic yay. All my characters are boring and look exactly the same. Except for the black guy and the rebel chick (even though the chick is close from the others).

This game focuses too much on combat because it has nothing else going for it. I agree that the combat system looks awesome, but it's rendered useless because of the no random encounters thing.

My GF wants to try this game out so I might get it if I find it very cheap... But I don't think I will enjoy it at all.. But that's a very big if.
Well those three things aren't really what make a good rpg and the older FF games were far more focused on combat than FF XIII. Because of the random battles you spend 70% of the game in combat and most of those battles were completely unnecessary.

You should play Blue Dragon. Blue Dragon has everything people seem to want in FF XIII. The random battles, old school FF turn based combat, leveling, tons of towns/shops, big world map with a airship you can fly around in, lots of mini games, etc.

Scorned

Similar to what Kezra mentioned - Even when playing this game as just an RPG and leaving the Final Fantasy name out of the mix, with all of these things removed it just seems unattractive to say the least. I was going to buy it, but after hearing these things, I'm not going to anymore.

Maybe I'll rent it to give it a try.

I'm not even considering it as an RPG. It's a game thats supposed to give me a solid more than 20 hour session, very unlike a ton of games out there today (although thats not counting their online aspect).

A solely single player game can be refreshing every so often.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Regardless of whether or not it fits the traditional Final Fantasy or even RPG mold doesn't concern me, if it offers a solid experience for a good amount of time then I will buy the game. Hard to find games with solid story and gameplay, which I'm hoping this will have. You can't really judge a game until you've played it, so I will reserve judgment for when I do play it (later this summer most likely)

Bill

1. The game is heavily story oriented. This may not be for everyone and the problem of linearity is objective to the player.

2. Boring characters? Hardly. This is so unimaginably wrong imo that I question whether you've actually seen the characters or not.

3. Are you really complaining about too much focus on battle? I hope you realize that the very core of EVERY SINGLE RPG EVER MADE is a battle system. The battle system is literally how an RPG is played, other than walking around and talking.

You guys are being too hard on this game, especially for having not played it. I also feel that it's already becoming "popular" to pick on this game. I hope you all haven't fallen victim to the terribly horrid habits of "popular opinion" editors.

El Diablo

Yeah...if by look the same you mean half of them have the same hair color then I can agree with you but all of the main characters have completely different personalities and really aren't similar at all.