• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The Death of Sony Security

LocutusEstBorg

If we stick to official firmware, and run everything as signed apps, theres nothing they can detect. If patches are required for certain things, do them with a HEN like application and reboot after.

Sychophantom

Even if Sony can't do anything, they have to say they can to save face, and maybe scare a few end-users into not hacking their consoles just yet.

Bran

Yell
Your average consumer will forget and not want to deal with the pain that is fighting sony.

How much news do you hear about the PSP hacking? Not much aside from this.

LocutusEstBorg

The beauty of this is average consumers can stay "clean" for a long as they want, updating when PSN prompts them and everything. But at any time they can drop an app on a USB stick and catch up with the latest scene developments with NO PREREQUISITES.

Richlando

Wondering if anything is even being worked on, homebrew wise, kind of thought something would have surfaced already. Waiting to see what move Sony makes?

Broodstar

If the homebrew stuff really takes off this might actually give me a reason to use my PS3.

LocutusEstBorg

I wish I knew why signed packages need a jailbroken
PS3 and why a jailbroken PS3 doesn't run unsigned packages.

He should just wait until it's done right instead of trying to be the first at everything.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"

That.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit

He should just wait until it's done right instead of trying to be the first at everything.
either way, the signing tools are neccissary to create the patched lv2 self to run unsigned code, at this point, it's probably just easier to give the signing tools then to patch to run unsigned code

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Gimme the tools pls, GeoHot kthx xD

WillyVWade

I take it the leaked Keys mean Non PS4 backwards compatibleness and the same for the PSP2?

Remember when the Wii could boot GC Homebrew flawlessly... Day 1...

Deathrow

There was discussion on a few forums that had me thinking a little bit. Perhaps someone with a little more knowledge could back me up? There is really one example to draw on, but perhaps someone might know another if it exists....

Any of you remember Datel releasing Action Replay for firmwares 6.xx and then being blocked in the next firmware update despite using the Kirk authentic signature key? Well what if Sony choose the path of whitelisting all future homebrew that used a different encryption pattern than Sonys? I mean, if a certain amount of tools were released and a different encryption pattern was used much like Datel's encryption of Action Replay, then couldn't Sony find a work around in the next firmware update?

It reminds me of cat and mouse, like Sony is waiting for us to release everything so they can analyze the problem a bit better with the release of a few things. Any thoughts if Sony could do this?

Wouldn't happen. That's what OtherOS was supposed to be, but they gimped it first (no RSX), preventing anything worthwhile popping up and then axed it completely.

If they did, it would go the same route. Horribly limited. You cannot really make wothrwhile games without some form of hardware acceleration. Yes there's the CELL, but I doubt most hobbyist programmers know the intricacies of threaded processing.

Microsoft has something like this though, the XNA framework, which was designed to allow developers to easily create games for both Windows and the 360 using the .NET framework. It kinda opens up the door for indie developers, not homebrew, though.

Deathrow

Wouldn't happen. That's what OtherOS was supposed to be, but they gimped it first (no RSX), preventing anything worthwhile popping up and then axed it completely.

If they did, it would go the same route. Horribly limited. You cannot really make wothrwhile games without some form of hardware acceleration. Yes there's the CELL, but I doubt most hobbyist programmers know the intricacies of threaded processing.

Microsoft has something like this though, the XNA framework, which was designed to allow developers to easily create games for both Windows and the 360 using the .NET framework. It kinda opens up the door for indie developers, not homebrew, though.

Sony specifically made the loader look for a checksum of a part of the Action Replay module, nothing more.

Ah, thank you both for the comments. I guess my understanding of Datel encryption was poorly reported by some lame forum. I'll have to find better sources next time :p

LocutusEstBorg

either way, the signing tools are neccissary to create the patched lv2 self to run unsigned code, at this point, it's probably just easier to give the signing tools then to patch to run unsigned code

That isnt how it works now. The signed "patched" lv2self still doesn't load unsigned homebrew. Signed homebrew doesn't run on OFW. Both jobs are incomplete.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
That isnt how it works now. The signed "patched" lv2self still doesn't load unsigned homebrew. Signed homebrew doesn't run on OFW. Both jobs are incomplete.
technically the latter is untrue, signed homebrew does run on OFW, their's just no way to install it without CFW

also, it wouldn't matter if sony tried to implement a whitelist feature, remember that we can now decrypt any retail package pup, which means that patching a whitelist is extremly simple, sony will have to do something much diffrent to close this hole, if it's even possible(probably why we haven't seen an update yet, must be alot of working going on to close this one)